• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is the school underachiever?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which type would be the least likely to get high grades or perform as well as inherent abilities should suggest?

INFP?

I= not participating
N= no common sense
F= overly sensitive and emotional and tear-clouded judgment
P= lazy slobs

Or maybe INTPs, since they're the same as above except their "T" is more worried about Star Wars, RAM drives and tantric philosophy than academics, and they seem like smartasses.

No offense of course. :hug: I can see someone coming at me with a derogatory ESTJ letter breakdown. lol (But don't do that, focus on my question.)

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Why does an N have no common sense?

I think that you labeled all of the functions wrong.

P is for Procrastination

I could label ESTJ perfectly, but that might not be nice.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am vastly generalizing here. And my descriptions are all negative, because I'm trying to point to which type would be an underachiever, which is a negative thing.

As for the common sense, I think "N" types tend to lack common sense because they're not Sensors. (again, this is generalizing). Sensors are tuned in to reality and details, such as not leaving stoves on, or knowing how to change the oil in their cars, driving a stick shift, etc. Also translates into following directions, doing things in the proper order, working on projects, etc.

Then again, I don't know. Because then you get the "absent minded professor" stereotype, who is the bona fide scholar.

So maybe ISFP? Or ESFP, if people are too busy f'en around with friends to study.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many of us didn't like school, but some seem to have an easier time making ourselves do things we don't really want to do because we had to get them done. My motivation was a desire for achievement.

Based on personal experience, I'd say maybe INFPs may have the toughest time. Highly imaginative, voracious readers, intelligent, excellent writers, enjoy the Intenet culture. I think they want to do what is interesting to them, and school, in the US anyway, by and large is not well suited to helping them develop their substantial abilities. Therefore, they focus on other things hold more interest for them instead.

How can anyone not hear the assignments given in class, forget to study for a test, not know what what the zero is for an assignment on their report card?

It's tough to see someone so intellectually gifted have these challenges. What is more frustrating is they don't seem to comprehend these long term impacts.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was a C student in high school. Had a hard time paying attention/giving a shit/never studied. I'm an A/B student in College for some reason though. I still have the aforementioned problems too.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
S types. I've seen statistics of them not being as good at school as N types, and presuming that S types are not any less intelligent, they're the underachievers.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
S types. I've seen statistics of them not being as good at school as N types, and presuming that S types are not any less intelligent, they're the underachievers.

I don't think this assumption holds any water/small malnourished Ethiopian children. There were plenty of S types who kicked my ass in high school and college now. Especially if they're sequential leaners which a lot of them likely are. More details get remembered, they can probably follow directions better, etc. My memory is absolutely horrendous, and it doesn't help that my mind wanders out of the classroom and into jello molds and radiation deposits.

I would like to think high school is more of an SJ environment, and college is more leaning toward NP. But it depends on the class.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No, this is only true of SPs (or types with dominant/auxiliary Se.)

This is yet another example of the failure of MBTI to differentiate between Se and Si, which is a vast difference.

SJs (the types with dom/aux Si) are usually VERY good at formal education because it's structured in a way that rewards their talents and value systems.

SPs (again dom/aux Se) are typically the exact opposite and can't deal with formal education nearly as well, because they'd rather be doing something than studying it.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I don't think this assumption holds any water/small malnourished Ethiopian children. There were plenty of S types who kicked my ass in high school and college now. Especially if they're sequential leaners which a lot of them likely are. More details get remembered, they can probably follow directions better, etc. My memory is absolutely horrendous, and it doesn't help that my mind wanders out of the classroom and into jello molds and radiation deposits.

I would like to think high school is more of an SJ environment, and college is more leaning toward NP. But it depends on the class.

This is yet another example of the failure of MBTI to differentiate between Se and Si, which is a vast difference.

SJs (the types with dom/aux Si) are usually VERY good at formal education because it's structured in a way that rewards their talents and value systems.

SPs (again dom/aux Se) are typically the exact opposite and can't deal with formal education nearly as well, because they'd rather be doing something than studying it.

Ah, alright. That is interesting to know.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Something, something, something, Pee.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I feel that it's your assesment that lacks common sense. :azdaja:

Introversion has nothing to do with achievement in academics. If anything, E types might get more distracted with their surroundings than I types.

N... no comment. I've yet to meet an N who would make it to university, really. :coffee:

F/T difference doesn't matter at all, of course. Do you imagine that F types spend all day reading Harlequins or what?

P is the only parameter that can really get in the way, but not necessarily so. Js can procrastinate as well. In fact, my INTJ friend was the one who taught me how to procrastinate effectively.;)

I'm not saying that some types aren't more prone to be underachievers than others, but you haven't chosen the right way to determine them. Personally, I doubt that type would be NFP, because NFPs have Te, and despite the common misconception, they can often use it well. If I've met any underachievers in my life, these were STPs and NTPs, but 1) maybe they were "underachievers" only in my eyes, 2) definitely not all the STPs and NTPs I've met were underachievers. It depends on the individual's self-discipline, ambition and ability to use their intelligence in their advantage, and I don't think this is necessarily correlated to type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel that it's your assesment that lacks common sense. :azdaja:

Introversion has nothing to do with achievement in academics. If anything, E types might get more distracted with their surroundings than I types.

N... no comment. I've yet to meet an N who would make it to university, really. :coffee:

F/T difference doesn't matter at all, of course. Do you imagine that F types spend all day reading Harlequins or what?

P is the only parameter that can really get in the way, but not necessarily so. Js can procrastinate as well. In fact, my INTJ friend was the one who taught me how to procrastinate effectively.;)

I said that quicker :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was an under achiever. There was no neccesity for me to achieve much at all in school.

I've known what I wanted to do with my life, and school was not important. I've finished the second highest form of high school in the Netherlands and didn't continue after that.

I could have easily done the highest form of high school and went to uni straight after that (Can skip college then, high school here is much different from high school in america from what I understand.). But there was no motivation or need to do so, so I didn't.

But judging from the fact that I finished school with relatively few problems. Even though I've often got the lowest kind of grades for pulling off stuff from internet or not making things at all about subjects that were not in my interests. I've always managed to pull the grades up to acceptable levels without much, or any, effort at all.

Big time underachiever in school. I've had a wonderful time there though and cherish the moments!

I don't have big regrets. Just a few small ones, that school is just awesome compared to work life, and in hindsight, that could've been motivation enough to stick in school for much longer. Living a carefree and relaxed life. In life, I'm still an achiever, just not in school, but in my own way.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

MBTI differentiates between the two just fine, it's the people using it who do not.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Which type would be the least likely to get high grades or perform as well as inherent abilities should suggest?

INFP?

INFPs do quite well with school, or at least the ones I've known. Tend to be quiet achievers.

I'd vote ENFP if you want the greatest gap between potential and output. The "least likely to get high grades" part doesn't apply though, we normally do quite well.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

INFP?

I= not participating
N= no common sense
F= overly sensitive and emotional and tear-clouded judgment
P= lazy slobs

Or maybe INTPs, since they're the same as above except their "T" is more worried about Star Wars, RAM drives and tantric philosophy than academics, and they seem like smartasses.

No offense of course. :hug: I can see someone coming at me with a derogatory ESTJ letter breakdown. lol (But don't do that, focus on my question.)

I've read somewhere that the biggest gap between achievement/IQ tests and grades is with the ENTP type.

Also being I is an advantage in school compared to being E. Introverts can sit still and listen. J and N are both advantageous in getting grades as well. T and F doesn't really matter.