User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I dunno, but I for one wasn't very good at school. I had a few subjects I loved, and did well in, the rest I didn't care about, slacked off, and got bad grades. I had the attitude of "If I don't personally like the subject, I don't care if I do bad in it, because it's of no interest/use to me"
    INFP~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp ~ IEI ~ Libra

MBTI
    INTP

I was a very high achiever until about ninth grade.

My last three years of high school, my teachers would have described me as the epitome of "smart but lazy".

Now in college, I think my profs just see me as an average student, since they don't get to know me as much as in high school.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I've read somewhere that the biggest gap between achievement/IQ tests and grades is with the ENTP type.

Also being I is an advantage in school compared to being E. Introverts can sit still and listen. J and N are both advantageous in getting grades as well. T and F doesn't really matter.
    Tenth through twelfth grade, there wasn't a first period class I didn't sleep through, given the opportunity. Right after lunch was a struggle, as well.

MBTI
    INTP

I knew plenty of Es who could sit still and listen, even in elementary school. They were all EJs; EPs wold have a lot more trouble. Any opinionated EJ can't help but call out sometimes, but it's only a problem if the teacher is a control freak with zero tolerance for talking out of turn.

Meanwhile, I was harassed in the comments section on every report card for not "participating", but I still managed straight As (up to 8th grade that is). I don't think I vs. E is significant.

I think J vs. P is the biggest factor in school success, once you get to high school and college.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Introverts have a really clear advantange in school btw, it's been proven experimentally (Big 5)

I personally was really good (not truly overachiever...just kind of whiz) up to 13, then I didn't give a shit up to 18, then at university I started liking it again
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I've read somewhere that the biggest gap between achievement/IQ tests and grades is with the ENTP type.

Also being I is an advantage in school compared to being E. Introverts can sit still and listen. J and N are both advantageous in getting grades as well. T and F doesn't really matter.
    yeh, I wouldn't be surprised. I just said ENFP because we are known for it.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Tenth through twelfth grade, there wasn't a first period class I didn't sleep through, given the opportunity. Right after lunch was a struggle, as well.
    Yeh. In tenth grade one teacher gave me 1 for ability and 4 for effort on a scale of 1 to 3. I think around grade 9 or 10 I realised there are way better things to do than sit in class and learn at snails pace, and that nothing was making me. We used to exit and re-enter English class via the window.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm really inconsistent. I hate a lot of the garbage I learn and I am not motivated to readily apply myself. Put something in my way and I am out of focus, as far as being centered around school and grades.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I DON'T CARE.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Introversion - may provide an ability to concentrate & not get distracted by social stuff (ie. talking in class). May be more likely to spend time alone to study/read.

Ne - grasps theory very well, sees patterns, enjoys new ideas, is creative

Fi - has a strong value system, albeit detached from the external standards. May or may not value traditional education. This probably has the most bearing on whether an INFP chooses to make the effort. Fi is also a rational cognitive function which evaluates and reasons. That makes it has a lot of potential for critical thinking skills so useful in an academic setting.

INFPs are also over-represented in colleges and universities according to some studies (can't find the link, sorry), so it seems they do well enough to pursue higher education & to be accepted there.

Personally, school was a breeze for me & I had excellent grades. I might have "under-achieved" in that I slacked because I got bored, but I still did much better than most of my schoolmates. College was also pretty easy, and I enjoyed it a lot more.

As for under-achievers, possibly P types for various reasons, but it cannot be pinned on any one type. I think ESTJs are often over-achievers, in that they work hard, but may not be that smart (hey, you asked for it).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Personally, school was a breeze for me & I had excellent grades. I might have "under-achieved" in that I slacked because I got bored, but I still did much better than most of my schoolmates. College was also pretty easy, and I enjoyed it a lot more.
    I have the same experience... ^^;;
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've known quite a few xSFPs who were underachievers in school. Even if they were smart, they either didn't care enough ("I have better ways to spend my time"), or weren't disciplined enough, or in the case of the ISFPs I know, didn't consider themselves to be "smart", so didn't try hard because of that image of themselves (even though they were, in fact, smart).
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!