User Tag List

Thread: Mixed preferences and the 8 functions...

Default Mixed preferences and the 8 functions...

What happens, when one or more of the four dichotomies are borderline or at the very least closely matched, to the eight functions?

An friend of mine who I believe is an INFJ (she is my confidante after all) is registering as an INTJ. She does not have a strong affinity towards either Te or Fe, which leads me to wonder.

If an INFJs T is strong, does that mean Te is exerted more, or would she spend less time engaging in Fe and more time with Te? The order of operations is important, but what if that order is not clearly defined. What are the general effects?

Also, this isnt a matter of typing a particular person, its a general function question.

The trick is to stop relying on the 4 dichotomies (I/E, N/S, F/T, J/P), since they're actually not that reliable. The types are defined by their function makeup, and therefore it's the functions that matter at the end of the day. The 4 dichotomies are just a way to make the system accessible and to have a convenient naming convention for the 16 types.

548 sp/sx

I think it's to go back to just four functions, and a dominant orientation.
    If the person is wavering between INTJ and INFJ, then what we know most likely is that they are primarily an intuitive introvert.
    The auxiliary will be either Thinking or Feeling, and apparently, it is possible for them to have a cloudy preference like that.

So is is functions, but when you strip them of the "attitudes", they can act like dichotomies. Either way, Pi/Je is a left-brained type, and between Te and Fe, whichever one is "really" preferred; the other one will be the left-brain alternative. From there, we can then try to use the archetypes to see what roles either function play. One will tend to fill a "parental" role, while the other will be a deceiver or comedian. It still may be hard to tell, if the shadow function is strong, as it may seem possibly preferred, and they won't be conscious of the negative connotation it carries. (My wife is this way with both Se and Te, but it's clear that Fe is the dominant, and Ne is the more innocent, childlike tertiary).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas