User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which one describes you better ?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENF - big 5

0 0%
  • ENF - MBTI

2 15.38%
  • INF . big 5

0 0%
  • INF - MBTI

1 7.69%
  • ENT - big 5

1 7.69%
  • ENT - MBTI

1 7.69%
  • INT - big 5

1 7.69%
  • INT - MBTI

5 38.46%
  • ESF- big 5

0 0%
  • ESF - MBTI

0 0%
  • ISF - big 5

0 0%
  • ISF - MBTI

0 0%
  • EST - big 5

0 0%
  • EST - MBTI

0 0%
  • IST - big 5

1 7.69%
  • IST - MBTI

1 7.69%

Default What describes you better MBTI or Big 5 ?

Which one descibes your personality better ?
    Why ?

My personal vote goes to 5 big five since .....

Openness to Experience/Intellect - is better than S/N since even if I am doing something sensorish it will still be connected to some abstract plans/ideas.

Conscientiousness - is pretty much J/P

Extraversion - is clearly defined as a need for people (as far as I know)

Agreeableness - in my opinion is better that T/F even if there are fairly strong corelations. For example someone that is strong T but also E will still have a fairly high agreeableness. What is probably more important and has bigger implications than the fact that someone is a T or F.

Neuroticism - I really like this one. Since it is shows my very calm nature unlike MBTI and it shows how I appear when around other people.

Basicly the only thing I find really good in MBTI is Ni.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think in Big Five I came up as an ENFJ lol. So I'd say that MBTI describes me better.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I find MBTI much more insightfull and usefull. The big five can be used to describe someone, but knowing a person is high in agreeable ness says little about there other characterisitic. In MBTI, if I can work out that somesones prime function is Se, I know their inferior isNi, and that the auxilarly must be Fi or Ti, and that the tertiary must be Fe or Te. Knowing part of a persons function order makes it easier to work out the rest.

In short, the big five can be used to describe an individual in general terms to someone who has never met them, but it doesn't help whoever is making that first attempt very much. All it really does is provide a volcabulary for discusing psychology.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Big 5 correlates my scores with INFP, but I feel that Big 5 often doesn't correlate directly. It seems to describe behavior and attitude over cognitive function, just as enneagram seems to describe motivation. I think it is interesting in addition to MBTI, but cannot replace it, and I don't think it's as accurate because the terms seem more vague to me.

I have an ISFP friend whose Big 5 scores correlates his MBTI type to ENFP. Just as you said, it makes Openness = N (how are SPs not "open" to new things?) and Agreeableness is often = to E, but many introverts are seen as very agreeable socially (ISFJ anyone?). My ISFP friend is very open & agreeable & his Big 5 scores seem correct, but misleading when they try and connect to MBTI.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The SLOAN test was most accurate for me.

MBTI over the Big 5, though.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    xxxx

If I went by how my OCEAN or SLOAN scores correlate to my MBTI preferences, I'd have to do a bit of retyping myself. That being said, I never put much weight into MBTI mostly for my inability to relate heavily with any given archetype. I have roughly the same experience with Big 5, although agreeableness (correlating with T/F) tends more to be my borderline dichotomy, rather than openness. (correlating with N/S) That being said, I subscribe more to MBTI because Big 5, in my limited analysis, favors one end of each of its dichotomies more than the other to the extent that the other can be implied to be unhealthy. I feel MBTI describes me better than Big 5 precisely because it portrays a more healthy view of either side of the dichotomy, and I, being presumably a psychologically healthy individual, find the positively-inclined descriptions of MBTI more fitting than the occasional negatively-inclined descriptions of Big 5.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's a pretty accurate on the surface description that people can use to instantly know how someone is. This is why it's used a lot in the real world, it's simple and effective. However I think MBTI is more useful once you fully understand it.

I agree with the OP though; especially what you put here-

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Openness to Experience/Intellect - is better than S/N since even if I am doing something sensorish it will still be connected to some abstract plans/ideas.
    I score pretty high on openness, and people confuse me as an N for this reason I believe. But intuition isn't my main way of taking in information.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    My personal vote goes to 5 big five since .....

Conscientiousness - is pretty much J/P

Extraversion - is clearly defined as a need for people (as far as I know)

Agreeableness - in my opinion is better that T/F even if there are fairly strong corelations. For example someone that is strong T but also E will still have a fairly high agreeableness. What is probably more important and has bigger implications than the fact that someone is a T or F.

Neuroticism - I really like this one. Since it is shows my very calm nature unlike MBTI and it shows how I appear when around other people.

Basicly the only thing I find really good in MBTI is Ni.
    I believe Conscientiousness would better fit Keirsey's Cooperative/Pragmatic, which is J/P for Sensors, (but is T/F for iNtuiters).

Agreeableness would better fit the Interaction Style factor of Directing/Informing; which is T/F, for Sensors (but is J/P for N's)

The least Neurotic would seem to be "Sanguine" types, which are extraverted and agreeable, along with moderate in both scales (Phlegmatic). Introverts and directives seem to be less stable because they are driven away from people (directives are task focused; meaning they respond to people less than informatives).
    So it seems Neuroticism is somewhat connected to some of the other factors (and when Comfort/Discomfort facets were originally dropped from earlier MyersBriggs research, they were able to be loaded onto the other factors). But because people are a blend of the extraversion/agreeableness temperaments (like the humoral ones), then they will have varying degrees of Neuroticism, so the factor does take on an identity of its own.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Big 5 is better, definitely. However, it doesn't paint a whole picture of my personality. Still, even if sometimes too analytical, each subscale better represent my preferences than the subscales of MBTI.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Just to answer the rep comment.

As far as ETs and Agreeableness, I said that in a wrong way.
    What I was saying is that E can mske you look more agreeabable than you are T in MBTI. (especially if it is strong E)

ExTP Fe can be used as example of this.