User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. #21
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    You don't seem like a Sensor to me, btw. I'm curious why you've typed yourself that way.....
    I fit the SP temperament pretty well. NF is pretty alien to me. I don't really understand NFs at all and don't relate to them. I don't really care for a lot of theories or deep discussions. Ni fits me better than Ne. Also ISFp is my socionics type; and that fits me very well.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  2. #22
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    I'm eNFJ and my partner is ISTJ. The N/S difference is where we struggle. Any tips for relating across this difference? Thanks!
    I was with an ISTJ for four years. Hope this helps:

    Take what the ISTJ is saying as what they really mean. No need to read into their words. You're speaking S now! They usually say what they mean and mean what they say. Be direct in communication. If you're speaking about emotions then if you feel something explain what you are feeling and then why you are feeling that way and what ISTJ can do to help make it better. Any conflict should end very quickly.

    I was with an ENFJ for two years and I can't help on that front.

    Wait...you guys like verbal affirmation. You need that. So I'd say tell ISTJ that when a nice thought comes into his/her head that you'd appreciate hearing it instead of them tucking it away.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  3. #23
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I never had a real problem with this dichotomy, I also think that J-P has the potential to be the most problematic. There are many sensors that are intelligent curious and, if you (as N) feel the need to talk about theories, they will at the very least listen to you, and perhaps add their own empirical input, which can be really useful for hypothesis-testing.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I was with an ISTJ for four years. Hope this helps:

    Take what the ISTJ is saying as what they really mean. No need to read into their words. You're speaking S now! They usually say what they mean and mean what they say. Be direct in communication. If you're speaking about emotions then if you feel something explain what you are feeling and then why you are feeling that way and what ISTJ can do to help make it better. Any conflict should end very quickly.

    I was with an ENFJ for two years and I can't help on that front.

    Wait...you guys like verbal affirmation. You need that. So I'd say tell ISTJ that when a nice thought comes into his/her head that you'd appreciate hearing it instead of them tucking it away.
    Thank you. I forget how important verbal affirmation is for me and how often I go without it and don't realize I need to ask for it.

    I like direct communication, personally, so on that front we're okay. I'll try to be more proactive in framing solutions to problems.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I never had a real problem with this dichotomy, I also think that J-P has the potential to be the most problematic. There are many sensors that are intelligent curious and, if you (as N) feel the need to talk about theories, they will at the very least listen to you, and perhaps add their own empirical input, which can be really useful for hypothesis-testing.
    Thank you for your comments. I've been hearing this a lot. I do see how J-P could be problematic; I guess I take it for granted because my partner and I are pretty much identical in that area.

    Your post is solidifying my suspicion that the S-N difference isn't as problematic as the type of S-N difference we have. I think if he were more curious about things that I'm interested in, and willing to listen and respond thoughtfully, I'd be pretty satisfied. It's almost as if he gets lazy when we talk; if he's not naturally interested in a subject, he kind of tunes out and at best responds to my ideas with "uh huh." There's no further input, no questions he asks of me, no desire to communicate further. This is true when I'm talking about emotions (mine or his) or ideas (mine or his)...a lot of the time.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    Reading posts like this I'm starting to wonder (for the first time ever) whether the S/N difference is really the problem or whether I'm barking up the wrong tree. If my partner were to communicate like you do, here, in this post, or like BlackCat, just as examples, I think I'd be a lot more comfortable with our communication. There is a marked difference in how you two communicate as Sensors and how my partner does....
    You'll find some topic that your partner is interested in. For the people on this forum, the common linking factor is the interest in psychology and human nature.

    Just a case of dragging it out of him. I'm sure he has his own ideas on how people operate and stuff. Just a case of whether he's interested in exploring it further.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    You'll find some topic that your partner is interested in. For the people on this forum, the common linking factor is the interest in psychology and human nature.

    Just a case of dragging it out of him. I'm sure he has his own ideas on how people operate and stuff. Just a case of whether he's interested in exploring it further.
    Perhaps.....and I'm sure I/E play some role in this. I often wonder if he simply doesn't express what he's thinking. He also sometimes says that he has an idea about something (a feeling, an experience that's not sensory) but "can't find the words" to describe it. Perhaps that's introverted intuition or something.

    I know this is off-topic, but it's related. We were recently at a MB workshop. Es and Is were discussing their experience of each other. Es said it was exhausting to cultivate and maintain conversation, to have to work to pull information out of Is. Is said Es exhausted them by overwhelming them with energy and information, or demanding that they engage more.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2017, 09:51 AM
  2. Questions about Preference and Skill in using functions
    By sticker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO