User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default How Do You Tell N from S?

I/E, J/P, T/F are often fairly apparent after you meet someone a few times

but I've known people for years I can't tell if they're N or S

being handy is one indicator, but not always apparent from typical office/party/playing sports activities

many Ns, like me, don't walk around discussing theories, and some people who seem like Ss do, so that doesn't really seem to work

not enough evidence in daily life for me, how do you tell?

MBTI
    ENTP

yes I agree the N S dicotomy is probably the trickest to type people...

Look at language use and conversation content...

If it's consistantly abstract then it's likely to be N, if is more concrete then S....

If you really listen to the words people use and how they articulate ideas... also get a fairly clear steer, but it's almost like you need to set people a test.... What would your ideal day look like... and see how they answer.. try it on a few people and see how it works.

Alternatively you could submerge both types in water and see which on floats... but thats a really antiquated method of typing...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Kind of hard sometimes, I usually just feel it out holistically.

Biggest difference is that S's tend to focus on concrete detail -- the FACTS -- while N's constantly are thinking about the insinuations and implications of the facts as their native tongue.

And that's what makes it hard. It's not that S-heavy and N-heavy people don't overlap, they do. You have to tease out their foundational view, however.

S people can talk about implications... but usually they talk about them as certainties... based on their past experiences. They are very aware of implications they have EXPERIENCED and tend to talk in those very real terms. (This is where you get the image of the ISTJ engineer who is adept at explaining exactly what will go wrong; it's not that theory necessarily says it's true, it's that he has experienced it going wrong and thus expects it to.)

N people can talk about facts, especially if they are trying to make something work in the external world, but they are much more at ease at thinking in terms of implications as the base language and tend to weigh possibilities with more nuance. There's a big difference in this with NT vs NF, which makes it kind of hard to describe (N has more flex in its expression than S). To N's, theory/abstract perception IS reality, and they can speak naturally in that mental algebra.

An interesting overlap area is religion. I know a lot of female ISFJs who are religious, for example, in the conservative realm. You would think 'faith' would be more an 'N' thing, but it's not necessarily; however, it is implemented differently. I find N's far more flexible in discussing faith issues; N's think in terms of possibilities; the S people tend to take religious faith and make it "real facts" and then follow it as if it were proven science (since, after all, there is just ONE reality... which is the one the S perceives; multiple realities do not tend to make sense and/or are confusing for S's to work through). Thus they speak in faith terminology but the S's have an underlying perspective of "this is real experience" and make it concrete and real... N's are more more apt to approach it on a mysterious, ambiguous, conceptually defined level.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I totally agree that this is the hardest dichotomy to type in others. And it's almost like the MORE you know someone, the harder it is, I guess because you do have deep, abstract convos at times, or at least they learn how to listen well.

S signs and symptoms:

--noticing environment more than me
    --realizing after a few get-togethers we haven't had any soul-searching convos
    --Will put going to a concert or event over getting together just to hang out
    --liking tv more than reading/thinking/discussing
    --tend to have nicer furnishings
    --like to shower/bathe/preen more (won't leave the house without taking a shower, etc)
    --can remember lyrics like crazy
    MORE:
    --Se dom likely to like manmade scents like perfume/cologne (because it's nicer to bodily smells)
    --Si dom likely to DISlike manmade scents like perfume/cologne (because it gives them headaches or they have bodily sensitivities)
    --Both tend to be VERY sensitive to bodily smells, usually finding them repugnant.

N:

--head in the clouds
    --likes to turn discussions to a philosophical flavor
    --doesn't notice didly
    --can't remember names of movies
    --not particularly into music hardcore like their s counterparts (? this might be too much assumption making)
    --doesn't notice lyrics in music like an s will--because their mind is wandering during said music on other things (? true/false?)
    --When an N is around an S, the S will try to change the subject onto more present/fun issues, whereas another N and N can disect one sentence for its subtle meanings for 2 hours.
    --um. always ready to revisit a past discussion/idea. S's lose patience with this.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    An interesting overlap area is religion. I know a lot of female ISFJs who are religious, for example, in the conservative realm. You would think 'faith' would be more an 'N' thing, but it's not necessarily; however, it is implemented differently. I find N's far more flexible in discussing faith issues; N's think in terms of possibilities; the S people tend to take religious faith and make it "real facts" and then follow it as if it were proven science (since, after all, there is just ONE reality... which is the one the S perceives; multiple realities do not tend to make sense and/or are confusing for S's to work through). Thus they speak in faith terminology but the S's have an underlying perspective of "this is real experience" and make it concrete and real... N's are more more apt to approach it on a mysterious, ambiguous, conceptually defined level.
    Awesome perspective and insight. I will start paying more attention to this.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

If you can't tell, then maybe it really doesn't matter.

MBTI
    ENTP

being pragmatic.... assume they are an S type until you find evidence to the contrary, you'll be right c73% of the time... which is pretty huge

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    If you can't tell, then maybe it really doesn't matter.
    yeah, and anyway, we are who we wanna be.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    yeah, and anyway, we are who we wanna be.
    I'd say that we are who we are. Throwing grid lines over perception just confuses insight. No one needs to know if a person is S/N. Isn't what they say/do far more important than trying to divine some non-existent abstraction?

You might as well dwell on what color their soul is...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

N houses tend to be filled with a lot more books and paper than S houses, although that's not always a reliable guideline. However the books that are in S houses tend to be more of a practical nature.