• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Tell N from S?

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think seperating the abstract from the factual is a good way to spot the difference. For example a friend of mine is ESFJ and we often get around to analysing people within our group of friends... She often uses ancedotes and talks factually about stuff whilst I will just throw the theories out there. Recently she mentioned that she would like to start a cake making business... before she could say baking soda I was talking about how we could find niches in the market and what vegan or mood altering cakes would taste like... (Like legal ones and stuff) I started to have a ball but she kept trying to pin the ideas down to practical limitations usually. I'm not trying to say that S's only ever talk in facts and N's in abstract theory though as my ISTJ dad and I used to chuck around wild theories when I was little... he could have been humouring me however! (Love you for it da!:D:D:D)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a quote that I do not know who to attribute to, I think it is JockTheMotie:

To test someone for S, N, or J:

(1) Throw a ball at their head when they are just sitting innocently.
(2) if they catch the ball = Most likely "S."
(3) If the ball hits their heads = Most likely "N."
(4) If the ball hits their heads AND they get mad = "J" for sure!

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Btw, I often find the T/F dichotomy the hardest tot figure out. Does anyone know if there's a thread on that one?

Interesting. I find this the easiest. Although I know I'm an ETJ, T is the strongest of the dichotomies. I've scored I > E, S and N, P > J, but never F > T.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a quote that I do not know who to attribute to, I think it is JockTheMotie:

To test someone for S, N, or J:

(1) Throw a ball at their head when they are just sitting innocently.
(2) if they catch the ball = Most likely "S."
(3) If the ball hits their heads = Most likely "N."
(4) If the ball hits their heads AND they get mad = "J" for sure!

This is really great and probably true. :D

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I find this the easiest. Although I know I'm an ETJ, T is the strongest of the dichotomies. I've scored I > E, S and N, P > J, but never F > T.

I agree that Te vs. Fe is fairly easy. Ti vs. Fi can be a female dog to figure out.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I like the "throw an object at their face" method. If they catch it = S, if it hits them = N.

Just takes a second.

sleepy

I like the "throw an object at their face" method. If they catch it = S, if it hits them = N.

Just takes a second.
I think that's silly. I could catch it. But would not do it. I'd let it hit me and start to cry instead so the bastard that threw it at me will come of as a mean idiot.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think that's silly. I could catch it. But would not do it. I'd let it hit me and start to cry instead so the bastard that threw it at me will come of as a mean idiot.

You ISFPs are just itching for sympathy aren't you! :)

sleepy

*throws a shoe at you*

2-1

LOL, now you're getting it. If it's pretty and spiky heels, I suppose you'll get me typed properly. Shit, what did I just do to the poor Ns? :shock: Anyway, for accuracy, you need to throw both, that should leave no doubt.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
LOL, now you're getting it. If it's pretty and spiky heels, I suppose you'll get me typed properly. Shit, what did I just do to the poor Ns? :shock: Anyway, for accuracy, you need to throw both, that should leave no doubt.

Sorry about this...

*whips a pair of Timberlands at you*

That should test for super-S.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Also: my family is full of Sensors who are avid readers, of fiction and nonfiction. My mother and I actually share a preference for classic literature, but when it comes to nonfiction she prefer biographies and I prefer psychology (or is that fiction also? :D). So that doesn't seem accurate in determining type to me. I also know Ns who are not readers, but that does seem rare.

Love of reading does not equal N. ^This be true.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you throw the grenade: S.
If you throw the safety pin: N.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Why read a book when the internet can provide information on any subject imaginable?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I don't use any of the cognitive function garbage when trying to draw out S or N. I look at 2 things:

1) what they seem to covet
2) how they frame their ideas

video animum