• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Tell N from S?

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Read Jung and figure out what Ne, Ni, Se and Si are.

MBTI is one big oversimplification of Jung.

Damnit, you beat me to it.

The problem you're most likely running into is that every type uses both S and N. You either use introverted sensing with extroverted iNtuition, or you use introverted iNtuition with extroverted sensing. They are different functional roles that occupy different cognitive space in the brain. The older you are, the more access you get to the weaker areas, so most types will exhibit N and S tendencies with a little work. This is why, quite often, old people are difficult to type correctly. You really should read up on Jung though, it'll make Myers Briggs make much more sense.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
N houses tend to be filled with a lot more books and paper than S houses, although that's not always a reliable guideline. However the books that are in S houses tend to be more of a practical nature.

incorrect. the N never noticed the tremendous amount of books in the S house because they were so neatly placed in a bookshelf that was like all the other neatly placed stuff. so the N assumed there were none due to the camouflaged overall picture of everything being neatly placed. if they even noticed anything at all:D

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Talk to them about extra-dimensional aliens who could be living in the doorway of your pineal gland. If they continue the conversation on a similar wavelength, they are undoubtedly N(e at least).

any of you Sensrawrs want to talk about extra-dimensional planes and the possibilities of your dream realms being more real than your 'real' realm, pm me.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Of course. It's just the preference, does not even have to be the strongest function. But in some things the difference really is striking.

It's most striking in IxxJ and ExxP because the perception divide is between the dominant and the inferior, rather than the secondary and tertiary. The latter two are more learned and the former two are more natural/unnatural. IxxP and ExxJ have both most likely accessed their tertiary perceptive function enough to support the secondary.

Last edited:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
incorrect. the N never noticed the tremendous amount of books in the S house because they were so neatly placed in a bookshelf that was like all the other neatly placed stuff. so the N assumed there were none due to the camouflaged overall picture of everything being neatly placed. if they even noticed anything at all:D

Incorrect; this is only true of SJ houses. SPs are a totally different animal and they're often just as messy as NPs.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know many SPs and SJs with books, but most of them are as a means to a concrete end - work related, travel guides, how tos. Their houses are generally not dominated by papers, publications, books that follow the person's fleeting and extremely varied interests.

For example, in my ESTJ boyfriend's apartment, he had a number of books on how to play the violin (hobby in which he was independently trying to learn what I could easily have shown him in a fraction of the time), some literature texts (he was an English teacher), some books on leadership (aspiring to be a principal and in the midst of a Master's degree), and a few magazines on politics.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My mom is a hard core S. Whenever I try to talk to her about the meanings behind my dreams and what they could possibly mean, she gets all "Stephanie, dreams are dreams! They aren't real. Stop fantasizing and do something."

I really don't know. I'm almost sure I'm an S, but its possible my S is lower than normal. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'm an INFP, but I have the ability and often enjoy conversing with theories and fantasy. I like to wonder 'what if'? I'm quite the avid fiction reader as well. I do enjoy stories that seem larger than life, that couldn't possibly happen here [or so people like to think]. But I still feel that my S is dominant in myself. *shrugs* Oh well :)

sleepy

My mom is a hard core S. Whenever I try to talk to her about the meanings behind my dreams and what they could possibly mean, she gets all "Stephanie, dreams are dreams! They aren't real. Stop fantasizing and do something."

I really don't know. I'm almost sure I'm an S, but its possible my S is lower than normal. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'm an INFP, but I have the ability and often enjoy conversing with theories and fantasy. I like to wonder 'what if'? I'm quite the avid fiction reader as well. I do enjoy stories that seem larger than life, that couldn't possibly happen here [or so people like to think]. But I still feel that my S is dominant in myself. *shrugs* Oh well :)
Yes, but can you tell fantasy from reality?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, but can you tell fantasy from reality?

Well I like to think I do, which is why I'm sensor dominant. I have no doubt I'm a sensor, I just enjoy jumping into the 'intuitive' world for a nice swim. :)

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD

I really don't know. I'm almost sure I'm an S, but its possible my S is lower than normal. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'm an INFP, but I have the ability and often enjoy conversing about life that others presume to be fantasy/fluffy or a theory. I like to wonder 'what if'? I'm quite the avid fiction reader as well. I do enjoy stories that seem larger than life, that isn't as plausible to happen here or so people like to think. But I still feel that my S is dominant in myself. *shrugs* Oh well :)

Sorry. I didn't really mean to mess with your quote that much.
Just had some fun. :) That's my take on it.

I do believe that I am more or less well adapted nowadays. Not sure if I try to be or anything, it's just so much harder to talk to people... and share anything if I use my own language. That saddens me. if it hadn't been for this forum... I'd found something else to channel through. Heh.
I'm happy being here though.

OOT:
How does S's react on the internet? Or web forums for that matter?
How does it feel and how do you interpret the being? How do you see it? How do you live it?
Heh, sorry. I don't mean to be odd.

Last edited:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry. I didn't really mean to mess with your quote that much.
Just had some fun. :) That's my take on it.

Eh, no worries ;)
You stated those 3 things into a better means of communication. [I think it was just 3 :huh:]

But by all means, I'm not assuming I'm an N. It might be kinda cool to N, but I'm pretty sure I'm an S. It may also have to do with the fact that I'm a 4w3 as well. Who knows. :smile:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

hit me up girl

sleepy

Well I like to think I do, which is why I'm sensor dominant. I have no doubt I'm a sensor, I just enjoy jumping into the 'intuitive' world for a nice swim. :)
P+N is way to much.

Would not trade my P for anything though :). I dont really care about the other letters.

Having a firm grip on what is going in is an advantage imo.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to use the preferring theory to experience, and look for a general pattern, because there are always moments of exception in everyone.

I mistyped several ISFPs as INFPs when I got into MBTI because they are imaginative and creative and far less linear than most sensors in my life (and I relate to them because of Fi). However, the key difference still came down to theory over experience. They seem to trust in their own experience over theory, and I tend to trust theory over experience, even my own. If I get too conceptual for them, their eyes glaze over. If I use some illustrative example that relates directly to them and their personal experience, they grasp the concept readily. My ESFP sister won't even hear my hypothetical musings - it's not real, so it's not valid. I don't think all sensors are that extreme, but it's the tendency & a pattern I look for.

I also look for how connected to the moment they are. Even ENxx types sometimes get this look in their eye like their mind is somewhere else. I notice it less with sensors - they are engaged in the present. I'm sure Sensors daydream, but it seems to be in moments where the present is not stimulating them. I can daydream to escape stimulation, or it starts a tangent of ideas that are more fascinating than the reality and I zone out.

Also: my family is full of Sensors who are avid readers, of fiction and nonfiction. My mother and I actually share a preference for classic literature, but when it comes to nonfiction she prefer biographies and I prefer psychology (or is that fiction also? :D). So that doesn't seem accurate in determining type to me. I also know Ns who are not readers, but that does seem rare.

Fecal McAngry

I/E, J/P, T/F are often fairly apparent after you meet someone a few times

but I've known people for years I can't tell if they're N or S

being handy is one indicator, but not always apparent from typical office/party/playing sports activities

many Ns, like me, don't walk around discussing theories, and some people who seem like Ss do, so that doesn't really seem to work

not enough evidence in daily life for me, how do you tell?
Flawed, but well worth reading: Amazon.com: The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language (9780316845182): Paul D. Tieger, Barbara Barron-Tieger: Books

sleepy

I prefer psychology (or is that fiction also? :D).
Most definitely. :) I also enjoy psychology. Especially suicide case studies. Morbid..but, well, I do. Anyway. I can tell what is fantasy and not. Most Ns seems to have difficulties and mix things up. Another difference.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most definitely. :) I also enjoy psychology. Especially suicide case studies. Morbid..but, well, I do. Anyway. I can tell what is fantasy and not. Most Ns seems to have difficulties and mix things up. Another difference.

Or rather, a different perspective. Everything begins as an idea ;)