User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oh yeah, me too. I don't know if it's an S thing but I found my ESTJ boyfriend was far more likely to buy a CD or book to see if it was good, whereas I didn't want to own or store it unless I knew I would be reading and re-reading (or listening to) it. He expressed concern that I needed new reading material when he saw me reading a book over again. He had a monster CD collection that encompassed a very wide variety of music and he was an expert on all of it once he owned it, even if he didn't often listen to it. The Ns I know are all book collectors, whereas with Ss it seems more hit and miss and they may collect for different reasons.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have a lot of difficulty with this dichotomy too. I always tend to originally air on the side of S, since most people are. Being very strongly S, I can notice a very strong N pretty well. "What ifs" can come from anyone but are often much more frequent in an N type. I personally think that N's tend to worry more, they are not as much in the moment and thinking about other things that could happen and may happen but haven't happened yet. (This could be an NJ thing or a J thing too, I've yet to really put my finger on that one.) N's tend to be the ones that get excited over events coming up more than they get excited about events that are happening right now. I don't even think about those things until I wake up the day of the thing, possibly the day before. There are a bunch more little cues.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Do N's repeat... re-read/rewatch things they enjoy....
    I never watch anything more then once. I've re watched just after, a few parts of a few favourite movies where if I felt like I missed something. Same with books, only once. Maybe the memory is stronger with Ss and Ns forget? Or I dont go as deep, so I have to re watch for the finer details?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    I never watch anything more then once. I've rewatch just after a few parts if I felt like I missed something. Same with books, only once. Maybe the memory is stronger so Ns forget?
    It's not memory, I have a phenominal memory according to a former co-worker... it's something about wanting to soak in every last detail..... I want it all.

I watched Closer the movie... the first time I saw the film...

The second time I explaored the relationship of Alice and Dan... and why Alice was called Alice and how she was saving Anna's character... and that it was fortold by Alice choosing her name from the heors wall...

The next time I picked out the goldfish bowl themes... the london aquarium, the dialogue, when in the theatre, the cicular elpise of where Anna and Dan were talking

The next time I picked up on some of Dan's physical intonations... in the secen in the theare where Dan is congratualting Anna on being a divorcee, he goes off to the loo and his shoulder is raised... which indicates she had see Clive Owns Characted... and on the bus after he just met Alice, his physical manefestations were just like an ex boyfriend of mine...

And so it goes... each layer adds something to my experiences... I watch I guess until I stop getting stuff out of it....

I've watched the TV version of the Crow Road loads of times...

Most books I read once, but some I will go back too... and The Owl Service I've read dozens of times... but it's an odd book and it needs more understanding...

So not memors at least on my part.... layering of the experience.. if that makes any sence to you

Maybe S types get all the details they want from one viewing... ie they are not going to explore tha abstract... but take out the concrete from something... if that doesn't sound even weirder than my last thought....

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I think S tends to read books that have a strong plot line, and they can tell you every step of the plot line, whereas N can't. So when you ask an S what the book was about, he will say something like, "This guy was kidnapped, and he was hidden in an underground tunnel, and the police were trying to find him, and ..." and an N will say "It was about the struggle between good and evil, the conflict between light and dark..."
    Spot on

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Wrote this sometime before

Sensors would have their feet on the ground
    Intuitives would have their head in the sky

Sensors wants the facts and what is written down
    Intuitives wants to dwell in theories, prove theories wrong and make new theories

Sensors will see details of an object
    Intuitives will be reminded of memories relating to an object

Sensors are realistic
    Intuitives are more unrealistic

Sensors see what is
    Intuitives see what could be

Sensors see a small part of a situation
    Intuitives see the big picture

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Wrote this sometime before

Sensors would have their feet on the ground
    Intuitives would have their head in the sky

Sensors wants the facts and what is written down
    Intuitives wants to dwell in theories, prove theories wrong and make new theories

Sensors will see details of an object
    Intuitives will be reminded of memories relating to an object

Sensors are realistic
    Intuitives are more unrealistic

Sensors see what is
    Intuitives see what could be

Sensors see a small part of a situation
    Intuitives see the big picture
    This is pretty N-biased (the last one especially) and fails to differentiate between Ne/Ni and Se/Si. These are really important distinctions.

Also being reminded of concrete memories relating to an object is pure Si.

The main problem here is that your idea of N is too close to Ni and your idea of S is too close to Se. You don't seem to grasp Ne or Si very well.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This is pretty N-biased (the last one especially) and fails to differentiate between Ne/Ni and Se/Si. These are really important distinctions.

Also being reminded of concrete memories relating to an object is pure Si.

The main problem here is that your idea of N is too close to Ni and your idea of S is too close to Se. You don't seem to grasp Ne or Si very well.
    Hmmm? Perhaps you're right. I had no intention for it to be biased. But isn't this basically what the tests and books tell you on how to differentiate between sensor and intuitive. And there is always that question. "Do you see the big picture or the details of a situation?" and you answer accordingly indicating points towards a sensor or intuitive.
    But is there no way of distinguishing a sensor and intuitive without looking at the functions? I do believe most people don't look at them when trying to type someone. I also believe that was the thought the OP had in mind when making this thread.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Hmmm? Perhaps you're right. I had no intention for it to be biased. But isn't this basically what the tests and books tell you on how to differentiate between sensor and intuitive. And there is always that question. "Do you see the big picture or the details of a situation?" and you answer accordingly indicating points towards a sensor or intuitive.
    But is there no way of distinguishing a sensor and intuitive without looking at the functions? I do believe most people don't look at them when trying to type someone. I also believe that was the thought the OP had in mind when making this thread.
    That's kind of an oversimplification, though.

Se and Ne are more likely to see the "big picture" in terms of having an expansive but unfocused view of a lot of different information at once. Se does this best in real, tangible environments while Ne tries to observe abstract relationships between different systems inherent in the surrounding outer world. Both suffer from a lack of precision because they're constantly taking in so much information.

Si and Ni are more likely to hone in on one particular system or idea and learn all of its nuances. Si will use its internally imprinted map of past experience to isolate precisely the information it needs at the moment, while Ni will try to do this by "seeing through" the hidden dynamics of the system at hand and considering how perceptual bias might be blinding us to potentially useful interpretations.

I know the things you wrote are usually what MBTI literature says, but remember that MBTI is based originally on Jung and designed as an oversimplified "training wheels" version of Jung's theories. To truly understand N vs. S, you need to understand the different forms of each.

Ni is really more similar to Si than it is to Ne. Ne is closer to Se.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That's kind of an oversimplification, though.

Se and Ne are more likely to see the "big picture" in terms of having an expansive but unfocused view of a lot of different information at once. Se does this best in real, tangible environments while Ne tries to observe abstract relationships between different systems inherent in the surrounding outer world. Both suffer from a lack of precision because they're constantly taking in so much information.

Si and Ni are more likely to hone in on one particular system or idea and learn all of its nuances. Si will use its internally imprinted map of past experience to isolate precisely the information it needs at the moment, while Ni will try to do this by "seeing through" the hidden dynamics of the system at hand and considering how perceptual bias might be blinding us to potentially useful interpretations.

I know the things you wrote are usually what MBTI literature says, but remember that MBTI is based originally on Jung and designed as an oversimplified "training wheels" version of Jung's theories. To truly understand N vs. S, you need to understand the different forms of each.

Ni is really more similar to Si than it is to Ne. Ne is closer to Se.
    Makes sense. But it would therefore mean that a person who is categorised by the functions would be categorised into a certain personality type whether or not they fit it depending on the functions order. For example. An INTP who uses TiSi would still be dubbed as an INTP regardless of whether or not the INTP uses his sensing function more then his intuitive function. The personality types just turn into a name and the profile would probably not fit.