• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type posting styles

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
In your experience (no armchair theorizing, please), what are the posting styles of each of the types - at their best and at their worst? What do they contribute to threads? What do you appreciate about having them around? How do they annoy you?

Before we begin, let's all remember not to take anything personally. If enough exemplars of a type exhibit a behavior, the type can legitimately be associated with the behavior; that does not imply that any individual exemplar necessarily behaves that way.

Now, characterize! :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel like commenting on other types.

INTPs tend to play devil's advocate, without meaning any offense whatsoever to the other participants. The goal is to make sure that no wrong turn is made and each piece of data is "tagged" properly, according to weight and probability.

They will also point out possibilities that have not yet been considered, usually based on "logical extrapolation." (i.e., "If <this> is true, then perhaps <that> might be possible as well, we should consider it!")

They tend to stay conceptual in nature, focused on the structure and main points of the argument -- although if the conversation veers into a particular detail that they think does not mesh with the "model," they will get very specific and nuanced while explaining why it does not logically fit.

Sometimes they can become long-winded because they are more concerned about the thought process than on the understanding or comfort of the other readers -- less about communication, more about fully exploring the ideas. The reader is usually left to fend for herself.

INTPs also tend to play around. You never know whether you are getting a serious response or a humorous one, because the tone can range from whimsical and goofy to droll and dry (where the humor is in the juxtaposition and/or contradictory interplay of the ideas, rather than obvious fun-making). The most favored one-liners are those that both are truthful (i.e., are making a point) and yet whimsical all at once.

(One should note that, even when the INTP seems jovial and "playing around" outwardly (and means it!), inside the Ti process is still being very critical and they could be upset or adamant and not nearly as flexible and light-hearted as they sound.)

INTPs can become exasperated when people are being "illogical" (i.e., not conforming to their own mental model) and going on about lots of details that might sound good but are ignoring the big picture that makes all the details irrelevant. They can become arrogant and condescending towards the priorities and thought processes of other types, judging them as "naive" or "stupid." They often won't even waste time with really "stupid" arguments or with people who seem impervious to their view of "reason," once they've tested the waters enough.

Most do not go out of their way to be hurtful, but can be hurtful by dismissing people in ways that seem callous... or debating a point of view impersonally without any seeming concern or understanding of how they are challenging other people's cherished values or conceptions.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
One INTP's style

True to my introversion, I find interacting with others via PM more rewarding, and tend to do that more than posting.

Posting appeals to my Ne, and it was a springboard for my recent emphasis this year on balancing more toward extraversion and being more explicit and conscious in balancing toward feeling. I would guess that I often post somewhat similarly to an ENTP, excluding my posts with an obviously more F slant which probably seem a little INFP-ish.

Since being more like an extravert in real life, I enjoy posting less. I probably spend the same amount of time at the computer as I did before, but more of my time is focused on interpersonal interaction instead of personal and technical interests and projects.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
INTPs tend to play devil's advocate, without meaning any offense whatsoever to the other participants.

Personally, I dislike conflict and never stir it up intentionally. Even when I am attacked, I let it roll off of my back because I don't wish to argue. This is me personally, though.

I'm guessing that INTPs like myself, and INTJs as well, probably, only post when they feel they have something to contribute. They don't post fluff.

I'm also sometimes the data machine, as Jennifer said. In a thread asking for data, I'll collect it all into one post, run statistical analyses, and let people go from there. I just want to make sure they're doing their math properly and that all their assumptions are based on sound logic.

Also, pithy paragraphs. I'm terse.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if I have a consistent posting style, but I can try to comment on what often motivates me in conversations including posting.

Usually, I post because I have an idea and want to get feedback on it, see what things I've failed to consider and where the flaws in my idea might be. When I think of an idea, I usually run it through my head fairly extensively first, but still find it helpful to get as many perspectives as possible which either help confirm or refute my hypothesis. Sometimes I get a random idea and just want to throw it out without much thought and see what others think too.

When I see an opportunity for it, I can and will play a form of devil's advocate to challenge persons beliefs or reasoning. It is my opinion that a beliefs should be formed by the individual and not by blindly listening to others. My goal in this is to ask them questions to make sure that they have put some thought or feeling of their own into making the decision and also get an understanding of whats important to the individual in the process of doing that. If they are easily persuaded I'll reverse advocation of the other side (they one they started as) and keep doing that til I think they have a good understanding of where they really stand on the basis of their own values. (I don't know if I've done that in any forums here, but I do that with friends/family/acquaintances occasionally). One book I read referred to INFPs as clarifiers, and I think this may be an example of how I fit that description, I seek to bring clarity to others by asking them questions and trying to help them understand their own selfs better.

And sometimes I just want to contribute something to the conversation. That may mean throwing out an idea or putting a new twist on an existing idea, or possibly just adding my perspective to give a new data point to reference.

I can enjoy a bit of conflict if its the good natured sort, the kind where the banter and having fun is whats important. When someone starts to get too serious, thats when I revert back to being more diplomatic.

I don't mind adding fluff to a conversation, but I don't think I do that very often (at least not without somethign of substance to go along with it).

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
(Er, apologies in advance to any self-respecting ENFP out there. :devil:)

:static: But ENFPs are the masters of the smileys!! :D :smile: :D :smile: :D

:banana: And we use exclamation marks!! So much!!!!! :D :yes:

And we like to talk a lot and sometimes the posts can be a bit rambling, :thumbup: but everybody does that once in a while, and that's okay, because we like everybody! :heart: And if you're sad, :cry: we will tell you you're great! :wubbie: :hug:

We get bored with long, theorretical discussions... :huh: :confused:

:dry: And when we're irritated, our sentences are short. And no smileys. And when we post we are sure everyone is going to hate us for being angry. :sorry: But in reality, everyone else doesn't even notice. :mellow: Because nobody else uses smileys. It's just us. :rolleyes: :nice:

:smile: :happy:

ETA: And I can't believe I forgot!! :bananallama:

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ's try to relate their experiences or characteristics to someone else's. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well.. arcticangel is mostly right.

I found an ENFP LJ community, and man... They stretched every other word and used an exclamation point at the end of every sentance...

Last edited:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Well.. arcticangel is mostly right.

I found an ENFP LJ community, and man... They stretched every other word and used an exclamation point at the end of every sentance...

Hahahah, did this bother your INTP sensibilities?

Awww...here's a :hug:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahahah, did this bother your INTP sensibilities?

Awww...here's a :hug:

Haha.
I was much more bothered by the fact that they all spent their time talking about how they shouldn't be wasting it on a computer, and what free spirits they are. It was kind of gross, because they were clearly trying to play into their own stereo-types.:rolleyes:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

And we like to talk a lot and sometimes the posts can be a bit rambling, :thumbup:

I take exception to that! I do not make excessive use of exclamation points OR "smileys" NOR do I post numerous rambling random messages!

:rofl1:

Oh ArcticAngel, I can never lie to another ENFP.

I like this emoticon the best ---> :run: ---> I think it's SO CUTE!!!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I use emoticons, but not excessively. If I have something to say, I say it, but because the idea pops into my head and I just type it out as it comes to my fingers, my posts ramble and are often longer than necessary to say what I need to say, because I can't be bothered to go through it afterwards to edit out the redundant parts or improve its conciseness. Sort of the opposite problem of many INTP's I've heard talking about how they spend so long editing and altering their post that they end up not posting it at all.

But I'm not sure how much of my style is ENTP and how much is just me.

It'd also depend on the health/maturity levels of the different types too. Because I spent most of my life repressing myself and behaving like an introvert, and only in recent times have I begun to experiment with being myself and "letting myself out" around others, I'm still quite 'immature' in the presentation aspect, and am still learning how/when to tone down, play up, engage, shut up, etc. But an ENTP who's been used to behaving ENTP for longer would probably show more restraint and/or pragmatism than I do.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This isn't really anything that's a posting style, but I really appreciate how the other ENFJs here usually don't try to speak for other ENFJs. More than once (and I do this myself) they put some disclaimer that what they're explaining may be unique to themselves and not blanketly ascribe that thing to all ENFJs. If I agree with it then I'll chime in "yeah I do that." If other ENFJs do it as well, great that's more of us. So basically, I appreciate how we're allowed to speak for ourselves and not move as The ENFJ Collective.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm unsure if my posting style is typical of INFJ's. But I rarely use emoticons unless I'm in a somewhat joking mood, or perhaps an empathetic one. In fact, I'm pretty serious most of the time. I don't usually try to shorten my posts, but I don't try to make them longer than they need to be. I usually just start writing a post the moment it comes to me, and then go back over it and review it a couple times, and then post it. Sometimes I even post it, notice that there's a potential interpretation or missing word/fact that I needed, and then edit it.

Actually... I would be more interested in knowing how other people perceive my posting style than I would be in describing it. I don't know if my own perception accurately reflects what other people see in my posts, or how I actually write them.

Anyway, about other types posting styles... I know INFP's tend to have two styles. One is extremely centered on bringing everything into alignment with extremely odd values that don't really make sense to me, and tend to stifle/oversimplify the discussion, sometimes even coming to a conclusion that doesn't even have anything to do with what we were talking about, at least from my perspective. Others are more focused on pointing out aspects of the discussion, and explaining additional ideas that help it along. I much prefer the latter. :smile:

pocket lint

MBTI Type
isxp
I am ixfp. I like to either post data that I found or show funny/interesting links that directly or somehow relate to the topic. I like to see how others respond. I am still relatively new (been here almost two weeks?). I can spend hours on here at a time, and not have any incentive to post anything. When I do post something, I usually keep things short and simple, and only elaborate if asked to. :yes: Yup. I think it's rewarding enough to get to read about other people's reflections and experiences, life from different point-of-views.

I don't think I'm am an emoticon abuser. I use emoticons, only one or two per post, to remind the reader that I am human and I have reactions. :shocking:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFJs - mostly humor. Almost always empathetic. Kind blunt-force trauma and joking.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think it varies from person to person. Although in general I notice Js tend to be a great deal more formal. I'm going to give examples of people I frequently converse with and their type. I'm not sure if they're representative of their type or not... but I guess we'll find out at the end of this.

Myself (I guess I talk to myself too)
My posts tends to be short and terse... and I have been described as vague. It's really not my intention to do so, but my mind frequently wanders off on a tangent. Ni thinking patterns are not exactly easy for others to follow. I also prefer not to bore others with trivial nonsense, so I post a lot less than what's on my mind. Similar to the comment on INTPs liking to edit before posting. I also do that extensively. Again, it's attributed to the apparent incoherent thought process and my attempt to make it flow better. Most of the time I ended up not posting because it made little sense to me when I reread it. Here, I post to either provide data or to point out patterns I've noticed or ideas prompted by the threads.

NFs and emoticons... I only use them when I want emphasis... or to indicate a general lightheartedness. The same goes for exclamations, bolding, color etc. They're tools I reserve for use only when necessary. It's clarity for the reader. So when I go :wubbie: :wubbie: :wubbie: I really really mean it! :yes:

INTJs (classmates and colleagues at work)
The written word tends to be the most formal of all the people I know. They are rarely verbose and quite direct in communication style. Systematic... they usually like listing out reasons one by one. Now the next one I don't know if it's people specific or not... the few that I know are very visual orientated. They prefer bullet note form than to anything else...

ENTP (highly bias sample of one whom I frequently correspond with)
This could be age/person dependent... but he enjoys forum debates. Or rather arguments for the entertainment sake. He once told me he wish the forum (another one... he'll find no interest here) was more active so there are people he can "attack and make fun of". I think it's the spontaneity in the exchanges that excites him. Hmmm like Sub, he likes using stories... personal ones... to illustrate his points. Not sure how this one relate to the type as a whole, but the INTJs I know and myself rarely ever use personal anecdotes if a hypothetical example will serve... I don't find him too terribly verbose. He just has a tendency to go off topic.

ESFJs
I know quite a few in person... but none of them are into forums at all... Just aren't into such things...

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
(Er, apologies in advance to any self-respecting ENFP out there. :devil:)

And we like to talk a lot and sometimes the posts can be a bit rambling, :thumbup: but everybody does that once in a while, and that's okay, because we like everybody! :heart: And if you're sad, :cry: we will tell you you're great! :wubbie: :hug:

We get bored with long, theorretical discussions... :huh: :confused:

:dry: And when we're irritated, our sentences are short. And no smileys. And when we post we are sure everyone is going to hate us for being angry. :sorry: But in reality, everyone else doesn't even notice. :mellow: Because nobody else uses smileys. It's just us. :rolleyes: :nice:

:smile: :happy:

ETA: And I can't believe I forgot!! :bananallama:

:puppy_dog_eyes:

lol!

I also do a lot of........... and um............ oh yah........... lol.....

I am told that when I get angry my posts become hard to read and get really scattered with NO sentence structure and lots of spelling errors...... :steam:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
INTJs (classmates and colleagues at work)
The written word tends to be the most formal of all the people I know. They are rarely verbose and quite direct in communication style. Systematic... they usually like listing out reasons one by one. Now the next one I don't know if it's people specific or not... the few that I know are very visual orientated. They prefer bullet note form than to anything else...

Actually, I find that I'm quite the opposite (during relaxed conversation, that is).

Usually, I sprinkle metaphors and evocative aromas around my technical instruments. Rather like a machete with a squeeze-toy handle.

I find that this approach increases my demographic appeal, as many types (often NFs) enjoy the glittering lights. In doing so, I can appreciate a diversity of opinion that wasn't available earlier...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Actually, I find that I'm quite the opposite (during relaxed conversation, that is).

Usually, I sprinkle metaphors and evocative aromas around my technical instruments. Rather like a machete with a squeeze-toy handle.

I find that this approach increases my demographic appeal, as many types (often NFs) enjoy the glittering lights. In doing so, I can appreciate a diversity of opinion that wasn't available earlier...

It depends on how you define the atmosphere of the forum... obviously when INTJs let loose... they're quite fun loving... It's nature of Ni afterall... However I find that they are more likely to be in a serious mood more often than myself.