User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Are we boxing ourselves in with MBTI?

I agreed with the vast majority of the MBTI as it related to me... but at the same time I see a common complaint that it conditions us to put labels on people instead of see them for the unique individuals they really are.

What do you guys think of this? Frankly I'm confused. We can not have the MBTI be too artifical to be true, and yet accurate at the same time. MBTI either accurately portrays the human condition or it doesn't.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
    I agreed with the vast majority of the MBTI as it related to me... but at the same time I see a common complaint that it conditions us to put labels on people instead of see them for the unique individuals they really are.

What do you guys think of this? Frankly I'm confused. We can not have the MBTI be too artifical to be true, and yet accurate at the same time. MBTI either accurately portrays the human condition or it doesn't.
    It is only a tool, and for the matter one that can be only be used to explain part of any human beings predispositions and/or modes of operation.

There are so many different factors (psychological, genetic, environmental, etc.) that can influence human beings that no model (MBTI, Enneagram, etc.) can speak to the totality of a person, let alone predict thoughts/behaviors with 100% accuracy.

Anyone who thinks they know all they will ever need to with regard to how human beings think, feel, and operate because they know MBTI to some degree, are sadly mistaken.

I learned about MBTI and my type somewhat later in life (at age 33) than alot of younger people I know. Knowledge of MBTI has no doubt benefitted me, but I don not consider it a substitute for the myriad of other experiences I use in managing my interpersonal relationships. It is a power tool that alone cannot build a house, but can make the job easier if you have it.

Just my .02.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    It is only a tool, and for the matter one that can be only be used to explain part of any human beings predispositions and/or modes of operation.

There are so many different factors (psychological, genetic, environmental, etc.) that can influence human beings that no model (MBTI, Enneagram, etc.) can speak to the totality of a person, let alone predict thoughts/behaviors with 100% accuracy.

Anyone who thinks they know all they will ever need to with regard to how human beings think, feel, and operate because they know MBTI to some degree, are sadly mistaken.

I learned about MBTI and my type somewhat later in life (at age 33) than alot of younger people I know. Knowledge of MBTI has no doubt benefitted me, but I do not consider it a substitute for the myriad of other experiences I use in managing my interpersonal relationships. It is a power tool that alone cannot build a house, but can make the job easier if you have it.

Just my .02.

It's one tool. Not the whole toolbox.

MBTI was never supposed to be an exact science.

That said, the dichotomies make sense to me up to some point and. I think most of us always categorise people one way or another and MBTI offers some theory on motivations behind the behaviours.

I personally find it useful to understand why relations to other fail (or not) and I use it as such, rather than as a way to label myself and *all* of my reactions, way of thinking, etc.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post

It's one tool. Not the whole toolbox.
    Agree wholeheartedly. It gives you insight generally into how people may think, behave, etc. I think it's quite useful which is why I'm interested in it and use it. However, human beings are far too complex to be strictly and narrowly typecast into 16 boxes though. I tend towards thinking the profiles may be 85% accurate - which in and of itself is pretty impressive. Then there are some people who just don't seem to fit at all.....

MBTI
    INTJ

If its just one tool then the problem is not knowing when to use the other tools, because MBTI tries to be a comprehensive guide. I regularly see you guys explaining every last detail about a person's behavior with typology, and sometimes I find myself doing the same also.

When trying to understand people, maybe MBTI hurts more than it helps.

It's not something I consciously consider during my everyday dealings with others, but it's a fun system to entertain in my spare time. It certainly helps to see things from another point of view, at any rate (and is certainly better than nothing).
    Hello

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
    If its just one tool then the problem is not knowing when to use the other tools, because MBTI tries to be a comprehensive guide. I regularly see you guys explaining every last detail about a person's behavior with typology, and sometimes I find myself doing the same also.

When trying to understand people, maybe MBTI hurts more than it helps.
    I would like to know who "...you guys..." are, specifically. I certainly don't.

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone. Except perhaps as a joke.

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone. Except perhaps as a joke.
    Well, it can get absurd. That's why I created the satirical thread: "Typing by urine color."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    It's not something I consciously consider during my everyday dealings with others, but it's a fun system to entertain in my spare time. It certainly helps to see things from another point of view, at any rate (and is certainly better than nothing).
    +1.

I would like to know who "...you guys..." are, specifically. I certainly don't.

While there are people here who get carried away(irritatingly so...). I don't see everyone on these forums trying to explain their, or anyone else's, every ill-conceived action, and personality quirk, on type alone...
    +1 again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Well, it can get absurd. That's why I created the satirical thread: "Typing by urine color."
    On of my favorite MBTI spin-offs. Mine's been a very healthy and bright yellow as of late, due to an expensive vitamin B-12 supplement I've recently bought. You really should try it, it's a great hue to behold.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro