User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

I dunno, jag. Being religious about a vision is kinda textbook INTJ, innit? (Especially a mechanistic vision of the world out there.)

Just like retaining the right to make final calls about the world out there is text book EXTJ. And refusing to commit to a given theory is textbook NP. And so on.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Look at you guys with your possibilities. Name one.

The biggest one you've got going for you is "there might be other arrangements of functions". You do realise that still MBTI, right? It's the "16 types + fuckups" developmental model of MBTI.

I was thinking about it the other day: as INTJ, and seeing more and more clearly each day that the INTJ model applies, am I wearing the MBTi sunglasses and seeing only what they offer or is MBTI true and I'm seeing strengths that were there anyway to be consciously developed? Guess which answer I choose.

Name a better possibility, you retards. You are NOT critiquing this model in the right way if the best you got is, gee, well, something else might be possible, knowadimeen?

Pick up the ball and run with it or shun the ball for being round, your choice.

EDIT: ahhh okay, I'm being too religious.

But see, it has the holy grail: utility. A lot of real world phenomena appears verifiably explained. That's what I don't get about people saying it isn't verifiable: stuff plays out in real life like type theory says it will. At least, it does in some positive cases. It isn't verifiably complete as a model, nor is its actual level of depth verifiable, but this "toolbox" people speak of... if there was an actual toolbox, there'd be tools to asses the depth and applicability of MBTI too, the tools would be comparable. Are they? If they were, wouldn't we have a measure of MBTI as a tool that apparently we don't have.

Learn to love the uncertainty of application. All this business of claiming other tools is just loving uncertainty in your own special cognitively approved fashion. Make a choice and Go!

Wheee, look at me being all auxiliary Te about theory making. See how it's me choosing consciously to use Te as an auxiliary to introverted possibility? Me saying, wow, possibilities, choose one and see what happens. Maybe MBTI only works for INTJs.
    I've looked at lots of these things - Brainstyles, FIRO-B, The Platinum Rule, Now Discover Your Strengths, etc. etc. What I know is that MBTI for the most part, pretty much works. There is more information behind it than anything else out there, making it more practically useful. I do think the MBTI STEP 2 goes to a bit more depth as an assessment instrument. When I first took an MBTI, I was INTJ but felt there was a "touch of SP" in there. It was validated by some of the scores in the MBTI STEP 2 many years later.

For me, the only thing that matters is whether it seems conceptually sound, does it actually work and does it provide value. It doesn't need to be perfect. I could add boxes on my own and invent something new, but I don't really have the time nor do I wish to expend the energy to validate something different.

Na..I look at this like fun, like how you dress up. Pick something you like, that makes you feel nice.

It's like a role playing game.

I would not want to believe in this, not like for realz. I like my fluidity . You can make water into ice if you just believe in this hard enough. I would not wanna do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
    I agreed with the vast majority of the MBTI as it related to me... but at the same time I see a common complaint that it conditions us to put labels on people instead of see them for the unique individuals they really are.

What do you guys think of this? Frankly I'm confused. We can not have the MBTI be too artifical to be true, and yet accurate at the same time. MBTI either accurately portrays the human condition or it doesn't.
    The problem is that MBTI is a pre-scientific. And MBTI is pre-scientific along with astrology and alchemy.

Astrology, alchemy and MBTI are pre-Enlightenment, while astronomy, chemistry and psychometrics are post-Enlightenment.

We can all plainly see that the sun goes round the earth, but astronomy shows us that the earth goes round the sun.

And in the same way MBTI and astrology plainly appear to tell us about our personalities and our relationships. But they no more tell us about ourselves than the sun goes round the earth.

The reality is that MBTI is a popular pre-Enlightenment cult that was first used to manipulate women into the war machine during WW II, and has been used by the military to manipulate recruits ever since.

And seeing how successful MBTI was in manipulating recruits, business has used it since WW II to manipulate employees.

However no university will teach MBTI anymore than any university will teach astrology.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

This has been answered approximately 89496489643 times. If you're boxing people in you're using typology incorrectly.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This has been answered approximately 89496489643 times. If you're boxing people in you're using typology incorrectly.
    You beat me to it.

Ideally typology, whether it be MBTI, Enneagram, or whatever, helps you (a) recognize that you were boxing yourself in without knowing it, (b) understand the nature of the box, and (c) find ways to get out of the box.

If you try to use typology to size up other people you're more likely to go wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    You beat me to it.

Ideally typology, whether it be MBTI, Enneagram, or whatever, helps you (a) recognize that you were boxing yourself in without knowing it, (b) understand the nature of the box, and (c) find ways to get out of the box.

If you try to use typology to size up other people you're more likely to go wrong.
    Maybe you're right, ideally, but this seems horribly limiting.

And as to the person who said business uses MBTI to "manipulate" people, in my experience, businesses don't care about this stuff at all. They don't really care about people's uniqueness. They care about performance and making money. Those who are well rounded, where it is difficult to tell what their type is, are often the most exceptional performers at work.

In either case, very interesting thread.