• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NF or SF - How Can You Tell?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can you tell if someone is an NF or an SF?

I seem to have a lot of difficulty with this unless I know the person really well, especially with introverts. Are there key clues or things that you can observe which help you to guess their type?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Basicly SF are much more concrete in their comunication.

SFs usually have spiritual belifs that are much more mainstream.

SFs tend to be much more hedonistic than NFs

NFs are morle likely to hold grudges. (as far as I know)

NFs have better sense for intellect.

I think that NFs usually have harder/bigger/longer problems with traumas.

I mean if you are a strong N like me it is easy to tell the difference in most cases.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not true that nfs hold grudges more than an sf.

i think you can see the idealism in an nf that is not there with an sf.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Great thread...I'd love to see how people answer this.

TBH, over the 4+ years I've been posting on MBTI forums it's basically come down to whenever I read threads of NFs describing their emotions I automatically skim three notches of bombastic intensity off of the top to even make it translatable to what my comparably emotionless ass can relate to. Few emotions seem measured, taken in stride or like they fit the situation. There is no Goldilocks experience. It's the highest peaks, they lowest trenches, the coldest winter, the hottest summer, the most desolate desert, the most claustrophobic crowding. Everything is extreme and intense.

If a relationship dissolves if you're not in mourning for three years minimum, you didn't really love them.

If an emotion doesn't tear through your body like Montezuma's Revenge it wasn't real.

If you're not emitting potent empathy (and the lesser but still virtuous sympathy) pheromones from every pore of your body and crying blood tears over all the pain and sorrow in the world.

If you're not psychically reading the emotions of others, predicting their needs, and getting strangers to cry on your shoulder so you can soothe and comfort them and more importantly, egotrip.

If you're not completely embroiled in your own secret pain or deep emotional trauma that no one else can understand.

The reason why I find this highly distasteful is because it's an incredibly arrogant attitude. The same way NTs can be intellectually arrogant, I find NFs can be emotionally arrogant in the same way. If no one or very few people feel things the way you do, how do you even relate to others? There's no common ground. I'm purposely being flippant in tone but if everything is happening on another emotional plane to NFs than us regular folks and our regular emotions inhabit a different universe, the hope for translation and meaningful communication is tragic. Also, a surprising amount of NFs are afraid to open up to others and I find this rooted in the erroneous belief that no one can understand their emotions so the comfort, solace, and connection with others (if'n that's what you want) has no chance to develop.

I understand that people are at different places along the spectrum of emotional intelligence and maturity: someone may view me as immature, I view someone as immature and so on. But I've come to view it as a lack of experience and yes, sometimes a lack of ability but it doesn't fall along typological lines when I make this determination.

I was recently talking to a friend about the fact that by 18 she had lost both of her parents to cancer and how's she's felt older than her peers her whole life because of what happened to her between 13-18 (she's now 30). When her friends were out looking for prom dresses she was emptying a bedpan for her mother. She says she's always felt a keen sense of mortality and she's factored that into all of her life decisions. Her maturity doesn't come from her type, it comes from her life. I suppose it's possible to feel that way without experiencing a similar situation, but I know an intellectual and theoretical understanding of something is often insufficient when rubber meets road.

It seems to me that NFJs and NFPs are in some silly competition to see who's the most exquisitely sensitive. I think this is why any discussions about Fe and Fi get destroyed with NFPs and NFJs duking it out for some Feeling prize. I don't see this between SFPs and SFJs and more generally SFs on MBTI forums. I'm basing my observations on the various MBTI forums because I no longer try to type people in real life unless I have sustained, high-interaction contact with them.

And in the end, never really having to do anything about all these torrid emotions and lofty ideas coursing through the NF body, but to merely feel them is enough. It's weird because you hear all this love for humanity and desire to self-actualize and help others along and yet I often wonder how or if the people saying these things actually funnel this into anything tangible. It's just the idea of these things but not the doing of these things which makes it all empty, pie in the sky words. It's incomplete.

I feel bad for the way SFs are discussed on the forum, they're made to seem like emotional adolescents, while NFs are automatically granted the rights of fully mature adults. I think it lessens SF participation and insight...even look at where this thread is placed: in the NF section. (btw I'm going to move it.) Any discussions about Fe and Fi are typically placed in the NF section, people are more likely to ask specific questions to NFs rather than first seeing if anyone else experiences the same and then trying to cull possible type specific strains from general responses. Of course if you ask "[NF type] do you feel sad when someone dies?" and uh, yeah, you can figure out the rest. :rolli:

Usual disclaimer: these are my observations. Please skim three notches of bombastic emotional intensity off the top.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The conversation style can reveal it. SFs have a clear, crystal language with a hint of sparks. It's very straight forward. The NF has more flowing poetic language, like you can hear the magic of their imagination firing in their heads. The NF has a certain look in their eyes; it's a soft focus with a look of yearning and depth to it, it's as if they are looking in the past and the future. The SF expression in the eyes has a clear gaze to them, you can tell their focus is on the now, that they are right there in the present moment.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Usual disclaimer: these are my observations. Please skim three notches of bombastic emotional intensity off the top.

I tried, but it just read like a bunch of NF emoting to me. :alttongue:

My answer is probably predictable, but highlander29 may not have read any of my posts on the subject, so I'll post it anyway.

I think it's much easier to try to figure out someone's basic temperament - Guardian (security-seeking), Artisan (sensation-seeking), Idealist (identity-seeking) or Rational (knowledge-seeking) than it is to try to do it from an NF or SF angle. You can already eliminate the Rationals since none of them are "F" types. So you have it narrowed down to three, then you just need to listen and learn what they value and what motivates them.

Also, CuriousFeeling is on to something with the "straight-forward" part. Sensors in general use a lot more concrete language. Like I could re-write proteanmix's post above and chop it down considerably by eliminating the abstract stuff.

Try reading my blog or shortnsweet's or wolfy's, then read some of the NFs.' Shouldn't take too long to see the differences.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I honestly can't tell much myself either. The extroverted SFs are probably not as inhibited as the extroverted NFs. I think NFs are more likely to get lost in thought when speaking and SFs might get lost in action(while you're talking, they're doing another activity).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basicly SF are much more concrete in their comunication.

SFs usually have spiritual belifs that are much more mainstream.

SFs tend to be much more hedonistic than NFs

NFs are morle likely to hold grudges. (as far as I know)

NFs have better sense for intellect.

I think that NFs usually have harder/bigger/longer problems with traumas.

Except for your first point, I don't think the rest of it has any merit, really. Sorry. ;)

To the first point, I think SFJ's are more concrete and detail-oriented in communication and much more sequential than NFJ's. NFJ's will tend towards more generalities, not as much concern for describing their lives or things in detail, or step by step. I think SFP's would be more inclined to discuss real-world, tangible things, experiences, and relationships, and NFP's more theory and maybe more about emotion/emotions themselves, because emotions themselves ARE abstract.

SF's tend to talk more of their own lives, things/people in their lives, and real-world activities/organizations that they are a part of. It's much more heavy and focused on what and who is around them, and more concrete and 'real'. NF's talk less of the tangibles, more of theory and concepts that they extend towards the world as a whole or use to analyze themselves, other people in their lives, or some dimension of the world.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried, but it just read like a bunch of NF emoting to me. :alttongue:

My answer is probably predictable, but highlander29 may not have read any of my posts on the subject, so I'll post it anyway.

I think it's much easier to try to figure out someone's basic temperament - Guardian (security-seeking), Artisan (sensation-seeking), Idealist (identity-seeking) or Rational (knowledge-seeking) than it is to try to do it from an NF or SF angle. You can already eliminate the Rationals since none of them are "F" types. So you have it narrowed down to three, then you just need to listen and learn what they value and what motivates them.

Also, CuriousFeeling is on to something with the "straight-forward" part. Sensors in general use a lot more concrete language. Like I could re-write proteanmix's post above and chop it down considerably by eliminating the abstract stuff.

Try reading my blog or shortnsweet's or wolfy's, then read some of the NFs.' Shouldn't take too long to see the differences.

Yeah, look for flowing flowery language to spot an NF. Ask them how it feels to be in love, and expect a 12 page essay.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah, look for flowing flowery language to spot an NF. Ask them how it feels to be in love, and expect a 12 page essay.

I'm sorry this belief is part of the reason why I doubt you'll ever be able to get any real evidence of any SF/NF differences.

I believe SFs are fully capable of evocative, expressive, flowing flowery language. I would say a difference is looking for how it's used and to what ends, rather than it's usage. This is what I was talking about in my post.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm sorry this belief is part of the reason why I doubt you'll ever be able to get any real evidence of any SF/NF differences.

I believe SFs are fully capable of evocative, expressive, flowing flowery language.
Absolutely. One need only look to the many expressive, flowly language using, SF type musicians to see that.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I honestly can't tell much myself either. The extroverted SFs are probably not as inhibited as the extroverted NFs. I think NFs are more likely to get lost in thought when speaking and SFs might get lost in action(while you're talking, they're doing another activity).

I think the NF gets lost in why something happens and feelings and the SF gets lost in what happens and feelings.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, key points I'm taking from the feedback so far:

1. It's easier to look at temperment, which essentially gives you the answer to the question.
2. SFs will have a more concrete, real-world, tangible, sequential pattern in their conversation
3. NFs will talk more abstractly or generally, about experiences, emotions, ideas, overall impressions

The comment about the SF vs NF "expression" in their eyes - I've seen it I think in people I know very well. But I don't know if I could recognize it in someone I didn't.

I still think it is very difficult to discern SF vs NF when meeting someone. In general, I have no problem with P/J and T/F. NTs are easy. Thinker vs. Feeler is not too difficult. SPs and NFs seem to be more difficult, with the NF vs SF being the hardest for me to assess. Is someone an ESFJ or ENJF - often hard to tell. Is someone an ENFP or ESFP - again, hard to tell. INFJ - I'm sure I've met some, but simply cannot recognize it at all. Maybe I've never known one well.

P

Phantonym

The comment about the SF vs NF "expression" in their eyes - I've seen it I think in people I know very well. But I don't know if I could recognize it in someone I didn't.

I agree with the look in the eyes thing. But I also agree with the bolded part. It's much easier to notice patterns and type people you do know. So, I would advise against trying to type people before you get to know them better first.

One thing about the conversation styles that was mentioned before. Obviously I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm fairly certain that I am an NF and I do have quite a strong inclination towards abstraction and talking in generalities. But it all depends on the people I'm having a conversation with.

In order to avoid the blank stare followed by shifty eyes looking for an escape I get when I'm trying to convey things across when I'm in my "abstract mode", I try to get myself out of that mode and use the concrete and tangible approach. I choose to use that with people who are not that familiar with me just yet. I avoid attacking people with my "full force" NF-ness, because it can get very intense (from experience, I can say that it can be for other NF's I try to interact with as well). So, based on that, if those people try to pigeon hole me as an NF or SF, they'd most probably put me in the latter distinction.

It takes time and some experience with people before you can really tell what they are.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I agree with the look in the eyes thing. But I also agree with the bolded part. It's much easier to notice patterns and type people you do know. So, I would advise against trying to type people before you get to know them better first.

Yeh, I'm a believer in VI. I don't think it is perfect or anything, but it has some merit. Especially when combined with behaviour, and other factors.

I spotted a very classic INFP in the Christmas church service. Fi doms can have this aura about them, like if you suddenly changed all the surroundings they would still be there in the same calm state. I occasionally imagine this happening :).