User Tag List

12 Last

Default The manifestations of Fi in real life.

I am creating this thread so that everyone can post their definition of Fi.
    So that we can compare opinions.

Personally I never fully understood what stands behind the concept "Fi" when it comes to real life examples. By this I mean on the deeper aspects of Fi.

If I were to believe results of the function test my Fi is my 7th function. What should not be the case.

So what is Fi actually ?

In other thread it says that on of the ways to train your Fi is

Fi: try to describe, bring under words, how you feel right now. Stick with the description, don't search for reasons. Decide if you want to keep this feeling or not. There's nothing wrong with a little introspection, too. If you don't feel at ease introspecting, you shouldn't do it. Let Fi decide.
    Is this true or ENTP that posted it does not know what she is saying ?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    In other thread it says that on of the ways to train your Fi is

Is this true or ENTP that posted it does not know what she is saying ?
    To me Fi is like a sensation felt deep inside. It could be fear, happyness, smile, disgust, etc. To judge by it is to listen to it instead of digging deeper. This can be confusing as P types have a dominant judging function. I can see a person using Fi or Ti for that matter as an external judgement in an immature way.

My thoughts is that this dominant judging function is used as an external guide as opposed to making an actual external judgement. To use it without introspection to me would be using it immaturely.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it's like self appointed rules of conduct. i'm horrible at describing things but i believe for a fi user they have very specific personal expectations or rules in which they expect to be followed by themselves at all times.

or....maybe i still don't understand it all that well.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it's like self appointed rules of conduct. i'm horrible at describing things but i believe for a fi user they have very specific personal expectations or rules in which they expect to be followed by themselves at all times.

or....maybe i still don't understand it all that well.

To be honest I smell Si in this post.

(just saying)

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    To me Fi is like a sensation felt deep inside. It could be fear, happyness, smile, disgust, etc. To judge by it is to listen to it instead of digging deeper. This can be confusing as P types have a dominant judging function. I can see a person using Fi or Ti for that matter as an external judgement in an immature way.

My thoughts is that this dominant judging function is used as an external guide as opposed to making an actual external judgement. To use it without introspection to me would be using it immaturely.
    To give an example immature would be like if someone makes you angry, judging and acting immediatley based on your anger instead of trying to dig in a little more before reacting. people who use functions immaturely have to backstep because of the path it lead down.

edit: probably a goodway to find your tertiary or inferior functions in hindsight.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Fi can be considered as values. The thing that holds you back from doing something that would be logically correct but emotionally wrong. A belief system that you stand by no matter what the circumstance. So for example one is to tell you to do something that goes against your beliefs, your Fi is what makes you disagree and not do it. It is, however, different to loyalty.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I posted this a little while back. This is not a technical definition, but it's the best I can do at the moment. I'll include when Ne and Si compound Fi, because for me they often do. Fi, for me, is a very internal process that is focused on the self.

Dominant Fi is:
    - Being able to feel the same emotion (anger, sadness, anxiety, compassion) in a million different ways and all at once. No two moods (I wouldn't say 'feelings' as I always experience multiple and overlapping feelings at any given time) are the same. Some combinations of feelings can evoke previous moods (which can be powerful in conjunction with Si nostalgia for me), but they are never truly identical to them.
    - When feelings don't just overlap, but are fluid, ephemeral and too complex to verbalize.
    - Testing feelings for consistency and motives for integrity the way that Ti tests ideas for veracity and arguments for logic. Spending hours locked in your own head, examining your own train of thought, studying your subjective 'truth', symbolizing your internal and external life. (With my Ne, the possibilities for exploration become nearly endless, and my internal life becomes a tapestry of real events, reconstructed pasts, imagined futures and just plain fantasy).
    - That feeling that nags you when you have had a thought or taken an action contrary to your values and the probing investigation that follows.
    - The sense of deep satisfaction when you have done the 'right' thing. 'Right' can mean doing what is emotionally fulfilling (like pursuing a long sought dream) or ethically/morally correct according to internalized values.
    - When moods are triggered by immediate environments, abstract ideas/ideals and even mundane conversations. Everything that goes on around me is absorbed into Fi, which is affected depending on a number of factors. For instance, some smell that evokes a Si-based nostalgic memory can arouse Fi. The same goes for an idea that Ne finds intriguing and sees possibilities in.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

cataplum!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I posted this a little while back. This is not a technical definition, but it's the best I can do at the moment. I'll include when Ne and Si compound Fi, because for me they often do. Fi, for me, is a very internal process that is focused on the self.

Dominant Fi is:
    - Being able to feel the same emotion (anger, sadness, anxiety, compassion) in a million different ways and all at once. No two moods (I wouldn't say 'feelings' as I always experience multiple and overlapping feelings at any given time) are the same. Some combinations of feelings can evoke previous moods (which can be powerful in conjunction with Si nostalgia for me), but they are never truly identical to them.
    - When feelings don't just overlap, but are fluid, ephemeral and too complex to verbalize.
    - Testing feelings for consistency and motives for integrity the way that Ti tests ideas for veracity and arguments for logic. Spending hours locked in your own head, examining your own train of thought, studying your subjective 'truth', symbolizing your internal and external life. (With my Ne, the possibilities for exploration become nearly endless, and my internal life becomes a tapestry of real events, reconstructed pasts, imagined futures and just plain fantasy).
    - That feeling that nags you when you have had a thought or taken an action contrary to your values and the probing investigation that follows.
    - The sense of deep satisfaction when you have done the 'right' thing. 'Right' can mean doing what is emotionally fulfilling (like pursuing a long sought dream) or ethically/morally correct according to internalized values.
    - When moods are triggered by immediate environments, abstract ideas/ideals and even mundane conversations. Everything that goes on around me is absorbed into Fi, which is affected depending on a number of factors. For instance, some smell that evokes a Si-based nostalgic memory can arouse Fi. The same goes for an idea that Ne finds intriguing and finds possibilities in.
    What a beautiful description of an INFP's Fi+Ne interacting.. The mystical whimsy, almost spiritual it seems. Reminds me of what I see in my mom.

Aside:

It's always been hard for me to really understand Fi, innately, because, I think my Ti clouds me from understanding its exact opposite (Fi). It takes a lot for me to sit and shift through my feelings until I own a lot of my Fi-takes in life.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    What a beautiful description of an INFP's Fi+Ne interacting.. The mystical whimsy, almost spiritual it seems. Reminds me of what I see in my mom.

Aside:

It's always been hard for me to really understand Fi, innately, because, I think my Ti clouds me from understanding its exact opposite (Fi). It takes a lot for me to sit and shift through my feelings until I own a lot of my Fi-takes in life.
    NFPs seem to pull a little of these mixes out of me at times and its kinda confusing to experience. Its like being happy to talk to the person at the same time you feel bad for what they say mixed with im sorry because you did instead of the you meant to put and at the same time feel sorry for putting the emoticon because you got them mixed up.
    Im out, its been fun