• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The manifestations of Fi in real life.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am creating this thread so that everyone can post their definition of Fi.
So that we can compare opinions.

Personally I never fully understood what stands behind the concept "Fi" when it comes to real life examples. By this I mean on the deeper aspects of Fi.

If I were to believe results of the function test my Fi is my 7th function. What should not be the case.

So what is Fi actually ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In other thread it says that on of the ways to train your Fi is

Fi: try to describe, bring under words, how you feel right now. Stick with the description, don't search for reasons. Decide if you want to keep this feeling or not. There's nothing wrong with a little introspection, too. If you don't feel at ease introspecting, you shouldn't do it. Let Fi decide.

Is this true or ENTP that posted it does not know what she is saying ?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In other thread it says that on of the ways to train your Fi is

Is this true or ENTP that posted it does not know what she is saying ?

To me Fi is like a sensation felt deep inside. It could be fear, happyness, smile, disgust, etc. To judge by it is to listen to it instead of digging deeper. This can be confusing as P types have a dominant judging function. I can see a person using Fi or Ti for that matter as an external judgement in an immature way.

My thoughts is that this dominant judging function is used as an external guide as opposed to making an actual external judgement. To use it without introspection to me would be using it immaturely.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's like self appointed rules of conduct. i'm horrible at describing things but i believe for a fi user they have very specific personal expectations or rules in which they expect to be followed by themselves at all times.

or....maybe i still don't understand it all that well.
confused_by_aspirations.gif

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
it's like self appointed rules of conduct. i'm horrible at describing things but i believe for a fi user they have very specific personal expectations or rules in which they expect to be followed by themselves at all times.

or....maybe i still don't understand it all that well.
confused_by_aspirations.gif

To be honest I smell Si in this post.

(just saying)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me Fi is like a sensation felt deep inside. It could be fear, happyness, smile, disgust, etc. To judge by it is to listen to it instead of digging deeper. This can be confusing as P types have a dominant judging function. I can see a person using Fi or Ti for that matter as an external judgement in an immature way.

My thoughts is that this dominant judging function is used as an external guide as opposed to making an actual external judgement. To use it without introspection to me would be using it immaturely.

To give an example immature would be like if someone makes you angry, judging and acting immediatley based on your anger instead of trying to dig in a little more before reacting. people who use functions immaturely have to backstep because of the path it lead down.

edit: probably a goodway to find your tertiary or inferior functions in hindsight.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi can be considered as values. The thing that holds you back from doing something that would be logically correct but emotionally wrong. A belief system that you stand by no matter what the circumstance. So for example one is to tell you to do something that goes against your beliefs, your Fi is what makes you disagree and not do it. It is, however, different to loyalty.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I posted this a little while back. This is not a technical definition, but it's the best I can do at the moment. I'll include when Ne and Si compound Fi, because for me they often do. Fi, for me, is a very internal process that is focused on the self.

Dominant Fi is:
- Being able to feel the same emotion (anger, sadness, anxiety, compassion) in a million different ways and all at once. No two moods (I wouldn't say 'feelings' as I always experience multiple and overlapping feelings at any given time) are the same. Some combinations of feelings can evoke previous moods (which can be powerful in conjunction with Si nostalgia for me), but they are never truly identical to them.
- When feelings don't just overlap, but are fluid, ephemeral and too complex to verbalize.
- Testing feelings for consistency and motives for integrity the way that Ti tests ideas for veracity and arguments for logic. Spending hours locked in your own head, examining your own train of thought, studying your subjective 'truth', symbolizing your internal and external life. (With my Ne, the possibilities for exploration become nearly endless, and my internal life becomes a tapestry of real events, reconstructed pasts, imagined futures and just plain fantasy).
- That feeling that nags you when you have had a thought or taken an action contrary to your values and the probing investigation that follows.
- The sense of deep satisfaction when you have done the 'right' thing. 'Right' can mean doing what is emotionally fulfilling (like pursuing a long sought dream) or ethically/morally correct according to internalized values.
- When moods are triggered by immediate environments, abstract ideas/ideals and even mundane conversations. Everything that goes on around me is absorbed into Fi, which is affected depending on a number of factors. For instance, some smell that evokes a Si-based nostalgic memory can arouse Fi. The same goes for an idea that Ne finds intriguing and sees possibilities in.

Qre:us

I posted this a little while back. This is not a technical definition, but it's the best I can do at the moment. I'll include when Ne and Si compound Fi, because for me they often do. Fi, for me, is a very internal process that is focused on the self.

Dominant Fi is:
- Being able to feel the same emotion (anger, sadness, anxiety, compassion) in a million different ways and all at once. No two moods (I wouldn't say 'feelings' as I always experience multiple and overlapping feelings at any given time) are the same. Some combinations of feelings can evoke previous moods (which can be powerful in conjunction with Si nostalgia for me), but they are never truly identical to them.
- When feelings don't just overlap, but are fluid, ephemeral and too complex to verbalize.
- Testing feelings for consistency and motives for integrity the way that Ti tests ideas for veracity and arguments for logic. Spending hours locked in your own head, examining your own train of thought, studying your subjective 'truth', symbolizing your internal and external life. (With my Ne, the possibilities for exploration become nearly endless, and my internal life becomes a tapestry of real events, reconstructed pasts, imagined futures and just plain fantasy).
- That feeling that nags you when you have had a thought or taken an action contrary to your values and the probing investigation that follows.
- The sense of deep satisfaction when you have done the 'right' thing. 'Right' can mean doing what is emotionally fulfilling (like pursuing a long sought dream) or ethically/morally correct according to internalized values.
- When moods are triggered by immediate environments, abstract ideas/ideals and even mundane conversations. Everything that goes on around me is absorbed into Fi, which is affected depending on a number of factors. For instance, some smell that evokes a Si-based nostalgic memory can arouse Fi. The same goes for an idea that Ne finds intriguing and finds possibilities in.

What a beautiful description of an INFP's Fi+Ne interacting.. The mystical whimsy, almost spiritual it seems. Reminds me of what I see in my mom. :)

Aside:

It's always been hard for me to really understand Fi, innately, because, I think my Ti clouds me from understanding its exact opposite (Fi). It takes a lot for me to sit and shift through my feelings until I own a lot of my Fi-takes in life.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What a beautiful description of an INFP's Fi+Ne interacting.. The mystical whimsy, almost spiritual it seems. Reminds me of what I see in my mom. :)

Aside:

It's always been hard for me to really understand Fi, innately, because, I think my Ti clouds me from understanding its exact opposite (Fi). It takes a lot for me to sit and shift through my feelings until I own a lot of my Fi-takes in life.

NFPs seem to pull a little of these mixes out of me at times and its kinda confusing to experience. Its like being happy to talk to the person at the same time you feel bad for what they say mixed with im sorry because you did :) instead of the :( you meant to put and at the same time feel sorry for putting the emoticon because you got them mixed up.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest I smell Si in this post.

(just saying)

yeah me too and thought that as well...shit i have no idea....wtf

except that i guess i should point out that i mean that it is rules based on values...like...being tolerant because you value people equally...and abhorring intolerance in others...that sort of thing...still si? or what?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'll tell you how tertiary Fi works for me.

Fi is a judging function, but it is also introverted which means it reaches an opinion, but doesn't necessarily expect immediate action upon those conclusions. Thus Fi allows me to notice that someone is sad, happy or whatever (through Se) and then speculate upon the cause of that condition. I use it to build up a picture of how someones emotions work. It doesn't particularly drive me to interferer with that persons emotions, and I'm not very good when I try. At least not in the short term. When I couple Fi with Ni to come up with a long term plan for altering someones opinions I can be rather more successful. Just don't burst into tears suddenly, 'cause I don't know what to do.

Thefact that I need my inferior Se to notice someones emotions before Fi can start to work at all goes along way to explaining why INTJs have a reputation for being insensative. It's not so much that we don't care about your emotions, we just don't notice them at all...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Fi for me (tertiary) is an internal value system which informs me as to what is the right thing to do in a given situation. By "right", I mean what is important to me inside, not what is right to everyone else. However, many times what is significant to my value system is helping out someone important to me.

Fecal McAngry

Dominant Fi is:

"I miss the comfort in being sad."-- INFP Kurt Cobain

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi is like trying to solve a puzzle. The puzzle could life, a person, yourself, the universe, but Fi *knows* when a puzzle piece is being forced into place instead of applied exactly right. And that means that sometimes you hold on to a piece a very very long time as you dont' see where it is supposed to go yet, but you *know* it to be an important part of the whole, you just don't see how yet. Therefore that puzzle piece will not be discarded, nor cut up to fit the spot that seems 90 percent right, or ignored. It will find it's space in it's own time, when the rest of the puzzle is more complete and you have a better view. Unfortunately, time, people and circumstances will pressure you to make a decision already, and put it *somewhere* as they need an answer. And that's when you start making mistakes. The result is having to tear down the entire puzzle once more, repairing the pieces and start from scratch. That disappointment is sometimes enough to makes me wanna throw the puzzle elsewhere and not go anywhere near it again. Or maybe I'll try but I'm soo demoralized that I don't even know where to start, refusing to still get started, as I've lost confidence in my ability to do this properly as I am constantly reminded of how wrong I got it last time.