Thread: Judgers and OCD

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Judgers and OCD

Quite a few of the Judgers in my life have had set routines that borderlined on seeming obsessively compulsive.

One friend can only stand even numbers -- he gets two scoops/items of whatever food he's eating, the volume on his TV has to be an even number, etc. He became visibly upset and anxious when he found out I washed his dishes and he checked to make sure that I did it right. He did not like tha tI washed the plates before the silverware because I did it in the wrong order.

My sister would obsessively play this ONE song on the piano, making the same glaring mistake every time. She would only play that one song and she would play it, and over, and over, as though she was upset that she wasn't doing it right, but she couldn't stop making the same error every single damn time.

My mother, if she likes a song, will literally listen to nothing else for months. She is a hoarder and cannot throw something away if she can forsee some far-flung future use for it. My threatening to clean up is genuinely a threat because she is afraid that I will do it wrong.

My boyfriend's daughter becomes intensely upset and will have a breakdown and cry if she doesn't do something absolutely perefct on the first try. She is obsessed with the idea of perfection and we can't convince her that not doing something like a master the first time is ok.

So, would Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (or having obsessive habits in general) be something more closely associated with Judgers or do I just know a bunch of crazy people?

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I've considered that very thing before. I wonderred if OCD would be more closely related to J and ADD to P.

I actually read a study that found a coorelation (as stated above)...it would be intresting to start an informal poll in this forum and see what the results are
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    I

As someone with OCD, I can probably say it probably is more common in Judgers (SJs in particular, I would think), but of course there are varying degrees and even forms of OCD. Some think OCD is just about being overly clean and orderly, but there are many more aspects of the disorder that may not be as well-known or publicized. Thus, having said that, there are likely tons of Perceivers with OCD but it is probably more common in Judgers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I see OCD in sensors in general. I have a very close ESFP friend who is HIGHLY Obsessive Compulsive. But then again, he also has a strong case of ADHD. Don't know how that works out..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    xxxx

I wonder which is more inclined to walk in patterns on tile floors.

Anyone want to make a poll for it?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I see OCD in sensors in general. I have a very close ESFP friend who is HIGHLY Obsessive Compulsive. But then again, he also has a strong case of ADHD. Don't know how that works out..
    There's actually a slight positive correlation between the two. ADHD contributes to anxiety and depression enormously, anxiety and depression contribute to OCD in those genetically predisposed. As does the experience of being unable to control your internal and external environments anywhere near as well as you want or as most people manage to. It's compensatory for feeling helplessly ineffectual.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a little bit of OCD (when possible I prefer things to be orthogonal, color patterns to balance and so on an so forth).

I have ADHD, and maybe very mild autistic tendencies.

In strong Js, I think there's a sense of wanting to "just be done" with something which could correlate with OCD-type behavior. As in, "if I do this 'ritual' and just get it out of my system, then I can be DONE"... but of course, that cycle never really ends for people with true OCD.

I'm speaking from a bit of personal experience - in third grade, my parents took me to a psychologist for my OCDish behavior. I don't think I was ever officially diagnosed with it, but I definitely had some behavior which would match up with the disorder (nothing really "out there" like counting cracks on a sidewalk or not being able to walk on a particular type of tile). I still have a really high need for control and sometimes exhibit shades of being obsessive-compulsive, but I've gotten a lot better with it all over the years.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think I quite have OCD, but there are certainily things that I like to have done in certain ways. And they're generally not rational/practical, either - things like walking on the right colour of tile with the correct foot.

I can overcome them, though, and force myself to ignore them, which is why I don't think it's OCD.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    I wonderred if OCD would be more closely related to J and ADD to P.
    I have ADD. :o My dad is ISTP and he had ADHD that he learned to live with and overcome.