• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Judgers and OCD

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite a few of the Judgers in my life have had set routines that borderlined on seeming obsessively compulsive.

One friend can only stand even numbers -- he gets two scoops/items of whatever food he's eating, the volume on his TV has to be an even number, etc. He became visibly upset and anxious when he found out I washed his dishes and he checked to make sure that I did it right. He did not like tha tI washed the plates before the silverware because I did it in the wrong order.

My sister would obsessively play this ONE song on the piano, making the same glaring mistake every time. She would only play that one song and she would play it, and over, and over, as though she was upset that she wasn't doing it right, but she couldn't stop making the same error every single damn time.

My mother, if she likes a song, will literally listen to nothing else for months. She is a hoarder and cannot throw something away if she can forsee some far-flung future use for it. My threatening to clean up is genuinely a threat because she is afraid that I will do it wrong.

My boyfriend's daughter becomes intensely upset and will have a breakdown and cry if she doesn't do something absolutely perefct on the first try. She is obsessed with the idea of perfection and we can't convince her that not doing something like a master the first time is ok.

So, would Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (or having obsessive habits in general) be something more closely associated with Judgers or do I just know a bunch of crazy people?

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I've considered that very thing before. I wonderred if OCD would be more closely related to J and ADD to P.

I actually read a study that found a coorelation (as stated above)...it would be intresting to start an informal poll in this forum and see what the results are :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
As someone with OCD, I can probably say it probably is more common in Judgers (SJs in particular, I would think), but of course there are varying degrees and even forms of OCD. Some think OCD is just about being overly clean and orderly, but there are many more aspects of the disorder that may not be as well-known or publicized. Thus, having said that, there are likely tons of Perceivers with OCD but it is probably more common in Judgers.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I see OCD in sensors in general. I have a very close ESFP friend who is HIGHLY Obsessive Compulsive. But then again, he also has a strong case of ADHD. Don't know how that works out..

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I wonder which is more inclined to walk in patterns on tile floors.

Anyone want to make a poll for it?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see OCD in sensors in general. I have a very close ESFP friend who is HIGHLY Obsessive Compulsive. But then again, he also has a strong case of ADHD. Don't know how that works out..
There's actually a slight positive correlation between the two. ADHD contributes to anxiety and depression enormously, anxiety and depression contribute to OCD in those genetically predisposed. As does the experience of being unable to control your internal and external environments anywhere near as well as you want or as most people manage to. It's compensatory for feeling helplessly ineffectual.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I have a little bit of OCD (when possible I prefer things to be orthogonal, color patterns to balance and so on an so forth).

I have ADHD, and maybe very mild autistic tendencies.

theplacesyoullgo

In strong Js, I think there's a sense of wanting to "just be done" with something which could correlate with OCD-type behavior. As in, "if I do this 'ritual' and just get it out of my system, then I can be DONE"... but of course, that cycle never really ends for people with true OCD.

I'm speaking from a bit of personal experience - in third grade, my parents took me to a psychologist for my OCDish behavior. I don't think I was ever officially diagnosed with it, but I definitely had some behavior which would match up with the disorder (nothing really "out there" like counting cracks on a sidewalk or not being able to walk on a particular type of tile). I still have a really high need for control and sometimes exhibit shades of being obsessive-compulsive, but I've gotten a lot better with it all over the years.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think I quite have OCD, but there are certainily things that I like to have done in certain ways. And they're generally not rational/practical, either - things like walking on the right colour of tile with the correct foot.

I can overcome them, though, and force myself to ignore them, which is why I don't think it's OCD.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonderred if OCD would be more closely related to J and ADD to P.

I have ADD. :eek: My dad is ISTP and he had ADHD that he learned to live with and overcome.