User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 492

Thread: Pretentious Fi

  1. #31
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    You might want to ask your friend what behaviors or cues are leading your friend to believe you are feeling a certain way. It might be a simple matter of mis-interpretation. For example, it's easy for NFs to interpret NT argumentativeness (okay, "conversational/debate style") as aggression or anger. Partially that's because some NFs might have to be very angry or upset to argue so vehemently and discount another's viewpoint so directly.

    Just a thought.
    I think this is spot-on in regards to the NF/NT dynamic (at least NTP/NFP). NTs get argumentative, and NFs subconsciously associate argument with hostility while NTs associate argument with fun analysis. NFPs tend to take arguments personally while NTPs just see them as a game. I guess both parties involved just need to understand this so as to tone things down a bit and not offend each other.

    I just wish that the NFPs I know didn't take shit so personally though when we get in heated discussions, especially after I tell them that I myself treat most arguments completely impersonally. But I'm sure most NFPs wish that I wouldn't get so caught up in trying to prove a point because oftentimes the argument isn't worth the social discord that it brings. It's just two perspectives that don't mesh well at all. Not sure how to deal with it though.

  2. #32
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I'm not telling them how they are. I'm telling them how I perceive them, and I am asking anyone (not just Fi users) to analyze my perceptions.

    I don't think I made any personal attacks on any invidual Fi users or any cruel generalizations about Fi itself. I don't see why anybody should be taking anything personally at this point. I'm fine with people arguing with my claims and defending Fi for its good qualities, but it'd be nice if the defense didn't come purely in the form of an attack on Ti and/or unjustified interpretations of the claims I'm making.
    This thread was doomed from the start. You should have known better.

  3. #33
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Lol this is what I am kind of referring to with Fi When did I try to tell you how you feel? I think my OP and my responses are trying to give the most open-minded undertone possible. I phrase everything in terms of a speculation rather than a claim.

    I'm not telling you how you feel. I'm speculating. Please don't start with the Fi victimization this early on in the thread.
    You mean continuing the victim tone you started with your OP?
    So for you it is speculating, but for an NFP, it is pretentious and assuming?
    The double standard has to be addressed, because it is at the core of the misunderstanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Did I not already say that Ti does the same thing as Fi just in a different way? Did I not already claim that perhaps both Ti and Fi need to Ni to take a step back and unbiasedly analyze their own preferences? Quit bitching about a double standard just to hear yourself complain, and stick to the topic at hand. This thread is not supposed to be a competition between Ti and Fi, and it's hard for me to take you seriously when you get so emotionally invested in the topic.
    Funny, I recall YOU starting this thread, which is essentially just bitching about NFPs (Why do ENTPs love to do that? Maybe it's time to take a step back and analyze your motivation for these discussions). The topic at hand is whether NFPs have certain behavior across the board, and that has been addressed. You seem like you just don't want to accept that you are wrong in your theory. What do you expect? NFPs to come in here and say, "Yes, I am pretentious and never know what I am talking about. Thanks for pointing it out to me!".

    I like how here you assume NFPs are emotionally invested in everything they debate also...It's hard for me to take you seriously when you keep doing what you accuse others of doing.

    I think this topic has been dragged out to death before. It's clear that people like you want to think of NFPs a certain way, and nothing said will convince you otherwise.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  4. #34
    Magical BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,002

    Default

    I wanted to understand the pretentiousness too... I guess it will never happen because all of these threads end up with some NFP going at the OP's throat over something that isn't the thread topic. Mostly Ti vs Fi and "BUT YOUR TONE OF VOICE IS BAD!" etc. It's totally dumb. Most of the people I've seen (not directed at you in particular OrangeAppled) totally ignore what the ENTP is actually asking and just makes it personal. I'll never understand for the life of me why NFs can't use some empathy that they are famous for and understand the the ENTP doesn't mean anything bad.

    Even when I ask the NFPs who have been pretentious to me about why they thought I was feeling that way, and then I tell them that they were wrong and how I was feeling, they still are convinced and stick to their Fi. It's extremely annoying, irrational, and inconsiderate.

    My INFP ex would NOT for the life of her listen to any reason, and she was being highly pretentious. She thought she had my motivations and figured out, and projected onto me during the breakup constantly. She thought I had some sort of ulterior motive... lol. I told her that she was wrong, but she just wouldn't listen at all... even though they are MY feelings.

    It's almost as though they are confident in them as though they are their own feelings.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  5. #35
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    You know who does this the most out of anyone I know? My ESFP sister. The INFPs and INFJs I know are not in the habit of outright "telling" people anything, because it would be like a form of imposition (and not something I would imagine they would be comfortable with...ever.) Seriously, they MAY quietly assume some things (and even then, *maybe*), but they won't go blab about it, especially to that person.

    In fact, the whole premise of this thread doesn't make too much sense. It is well known that INFPs do not like conflict in general (and sometimes to a pathological degree.) And if the INFPs think they know what the person is feeling better than they do, then they would know that simply telling the person how they really feel would lead to conflict. Why, then, would INFx people do something that could so obviously lead to conflict?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #36
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I think this is spot-on in regards to the NF/NT dynamic (at least NTP/NFP). NTs get argumentative, and NFs subconsciously associate argument with hostility while NTs associate argument with fun analysis. NFPs tend to take arguments personally while NTPs just see them as a game. I guess both parties involved just need to understand this so as to tone things down a bit and not offend each other.

    I just wish that the NFPs I know didn't take shit so personally though when we get in heated discussions, especially after I tell them that I myself treat most arguments completely impersonally. But I'm sure most NFPs wish that I wouldn't get so caught up in trying to prove a point because oftentimes the argument isn't worth the social discord that it brings. It's just two perspectives that don't mesh well at all. Not sure how to deal with it though.
    Okay, this I can totally believe. I work as a programmer with a number of NTs, and I do have to make an internal adjustment when arguing with NTs. They say thing that I would never, ever say unless I were extremely angry and going for the throat. I also know they will play devil's advocate just for fun. It took me a while to be able to NOT be offended, but now I can see it as a sometimes fun, often tedious kind of game.

    And I do like working with NTs, because they will carry out those unpleasant critiques, which is a good part of the process. They may not be aware of the effect they have on group cohesion and individual motivation, though. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

  7. #37
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I wanted to understand the pretentiousness too... I guess it will never happen because all of these threads end up with some NFP going at the OP's throat over something that isn't the thread topic. Mostly Ti vs Fi and "BUT YOUR TONE OF VOICE IS BAD!" etc. It's totally dumb. Most of the people I've seen (not just you OrangeAppled) totally ignore what the ENTP is actually asking and just makes it personal. I'll never understand for the life of me why NFs can't use some empathy that they are famous for and understand the the ENTP doesn't mean anything bad.
    I have answered it directly in my first post, and so have many other NFPs in here. Just because you do not like the answer and it does not support the OP's speculation does not mean it is not true. It seems that unless NFPs say "yes, you are right and have us figured out completely", then you will not be happy with the answer.

    Maybe the bottom line is that NFPs do not do this as much as you think, or even at all. Maybe you mistype people, maybe this is an individual quirk issue & not an NFP one, maybe you misunderstand what NFPs are saying, etc. Bottom line is, I am not going to admit to something I do not do, and I cannot explain behavior that I do not have, and I resent someone telling me how my mind works when it does not work that way.

    Even when I ask the NFPs who have been pretentious to me about why they thought I was feeling that way, and then I tell them that they were wrong and how I was feeling, they still are convinced and stick to their Fi. It's extremely annoying, irrational, and inconsiderate.

    My INFP ex would NOT for the life of her listen to any reason, and she was being highly pretentious. She thought she had my motivations and figured out, and projected onto me during the breakup constantly. She thought I had some sort of ulterior motive... lol. I told her that she was wrong, but she just wouldn't listen at all... even though they are MY feelings.

    It's almost as though they are confident in them as though they are their own feelings.
    I can't relate to that in the slightest. I have never insisted someone feels a way they say they do not feel. That's completely foreign to me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #38
    Magical BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I can't relate to that in the slightest. I have never insisted someone feels a way they say they do not feel. That's completely foreign to me.
    Well maybe you can't provide the information that we are seeking, since you aren't like that. I've experienced this with all NFs. I have also experienced NFs that don't do this. We are seeking to understand the NFs that DO in fact do this. So if you don't... chill out. lol It's not directed at you at all if you don't do it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  9. #39
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You mean continuing the victim tone you started with your OP?
    Where did I victimize myself in the OP? Please, show me where you see this so-called tone.

    The double standard has to be addressed, because it is at the core of the misunderstanding.
    The double standard is an illusion that you've created in your own head. Quit. I even repped you and said that your Fi seems nice after your first response. What happened?



    Funny, I recall YOU starting this thread, which is essentially just bitching about NFPs (Why do ENTPs love to do that? Maybe it's time to take a step back and analyze your motivation for these discussions).
    I'm not bitching about NFPs. I put my perception on the table to be critiqued. When did I bitch about NFPs?

    The topic at hand is whether NFPs have certain behavior across the board, and that has been addressed. You seem like you just don't want to accept that you are wrong in your theory. What do you expect? NFPs to come in here and say, "Yes, I am pretentious and never know what I am talking about. Thanks for pointing it out to me!".
    I want ANYBODY (not just NFPs!) to critique my perception. To agree or disagree. To offer any insight they have. That's it.

    I don't feel like I've been proven "right" or "wrong" either way. I'd love to hear a convincing argument that goes against my previous notions regarding Fi, and I'd have no qualms with accepting the fact that my perceptions do not hold ground in a broader reality. It hasn't happened yet though.

    I like how here you assume NFPs are emotionally invested in everything they debate also...It's hard for me to take you seriously when you keep doing what you accuse others of doing.
    Look at the bolded statements above. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about.

    I think this topic has been dragged out to death before. It's clear that people like you want to think of NFPs a certain way, and nothing said will convince you otherwise.
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I am asking for people to pick apart my perceptions, and part of the reason for me doing this is to help me decide whether my opinion is justified or not. I'm open to being "convinced otherwise."

  10. #40
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Well maybe you can't provide the information that we are seeking, since you aren't like that. I've experienced this with all NFs. I have also experienced NFs that don't do this. We are seeking to understand the NFs that DO in fact do this. So if you don't... chill out. lol It's not directed at you at all if you don't do it.
    I've seen people of many types do this, including Thinkers. That's the point - it's not a type issue. It's not an NFP-specific trait.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] NTJs: how does Fi manifest in your type?
    By Venom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
  2. [Fi] Fi building
    By BlueScreen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
  3. [Fi] What does "Fi" really look like?
    By INTPness in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
  4. [Fi] Fi -- Why does it drive you nuts?
    By CzeCze in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
  5. [Fi] Fi: You only get it if you got it
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 649
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO