User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Results 241 to 250 of 492

Thread: Pretentious Fi

  1. #241
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    *sigh*

    :rolli:

    I personalize my post because it has been requested of me to do so. What are you trying to draw out or add to this thread by posting this comment? Explain please. And perhaps you might want to review my other posts to provide a context for you.

    Naturally, stuff about "me" is subjective, but it was my hope to illuminate the topic further in sharing this way.

    FYI - my Fi is all for me - none for you, and I recognize where it is unwelcome. I don't walk around presuming it is understood or cared about.
    And you see, this is precisely the issue at hand. Someone says something critical about the manifestation of Fi to the outside world. Some Fi-users come in and justify it without qualification. Other Fi-users generalize, saying that all functions have their good and bad, without ever quite admitting that this particular aspect of Fi is screwed up. Ti users pick up on this non-apology apology pretty quickly, and call them out on it, leading to more fire and brimstone from the Fi users. A truce is called with both sides agreeing not to talk about it... but the question remains unanswered.

    Fi is not strictly personal. The rest of us have it in our lives, too - through the interactions with y'all. We want to know it better, but more importantly, we also don't want to be dismissed outright when we have reasonable criticism, to be treated as if we had made a personal assault on the Fi-user's character. That's all.

  2. #242
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Critisizing something you don't even grasp is preposterous. Learn and understand first, critisize later.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  3. #243
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Critisizing something you don't even grasp is preposterous. Learn and understand first, criticize later.
    Why do you keep dismissing forthright instead of trying to speak in a language I can understand? If you're really concerned with our understanding something, isn't it your responsibility to convey it in a way that is graspable, rather than dismissing the other person as ignorant?

  4. #244
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why do you keep dismissing forthright instead of trying to speak in a language I can understand? If you're really concerned with our understanding something, isn't it your responsibility to convey it in a way that is graspable, rather than dismissing the other person as ignorant?
    You're forgetting that you're the one asking for the explanation. That you're the one who (supposedly) wants to understand, who's asking for a favour from me in essence, to learn something he doesn't grasp. I don't have to do squad. On top of that, I've made several posts that Fidelia has considered Fe, because it attempted to translate Fi (which is effing hard btw) into something you would grasp. If you cannot appreciate that and put a little bit of effort into understanding, then I don't know why I bother.

    In fact that's the thing that makes me a bit irritated atm. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to translate my particular type of Fi into a way that you would grasp and could learn from. And frankly, I'm not even seeing you trying. So seriously, I'm done trying to accomodate you. To me, you vibe out that you want an admission of guilt. You seem to lack the humility and openmindedness of a student, of someone who wants to learn.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  5. #245
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    You're forgetting that you're the one asking for the explanation. That you're the one who (supposedly) wants to understand, who's asking for a favour from me in essence, to learn something he doesn't grasp. I don't have to do squad. On top of that, I've made several posts that Fidelia has considered Fe, because it attempted to translate Fi (which is effing hard btw) into something you would grasp. If you cannot appreciate that and put a little bit of effort into understanding, then I don't know why I bother.
    I ask for an answer to a question. You give an answer you think is appropriate. I don't believe the response answers the question. Therefore, you can either explain why your answer's appropriate, or you can dismiss me as ignorant and unteachable. I'd think you're better than the latter.

    In fact that's the thing that makes me a bit irritated atm. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to translate my particular type of Fi into a way that you would grasp and could learn from. And frankly, I'm not even seeing you trying. So seriously, I'm done trying to accomodate you. To me, you vibe out that you want an admission of guilt. You seem to lack the humility and openmindedness of a student, of someone who wants to learn.
    I don't want an admission of guilt per se. I'd just like there to be a general sense of "hey, yes, as Fi-users, we take things in this particular way, and yes, we realize it can negatively impact other people. That is wrong, and we're sorry for it," instead of the fangs and knives that come out any time someone even broaches the ineffable perfection that some on here hold Fi to be.

    Do you think I liked it when people called me out for being a harsh jerk when flexing my Ti? Of course I did not, but I hated the idea of unwittingly harming others even more.

  6. #246
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Then you read over it. Go over the thread again.

    Also, it's a pity that that is *all* you want and take away from this entire thread. Truly.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  7. #247
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Then you read over it. Go over the thread again.

    Also, it's a pity that that is *all* you want and take away from this entire thread. Truly.
    Way to advocate for yourself. :rolli:

    What else would I want to take away from it? I've got thousands of other threads to learn other things from. Just as you mentioned earlier, Fi isn't so special as to warrant a novel every time it comes up.

  8. #248
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And you see, this is precisely the issue at hand. Someone says something critical about the manifestation of Fi to the outside world. Some Fi-users come in and justify it without qualification.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Other Fi-users generalize, saying that all functions have their good and bad, without ever quite admitting that this particular aspect of Fi is screwed up.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Ti users pick up on this non-apology apology pretty quickly, and call them out on it, leading to more fire and brimstone from the Fi users. A truce is called with both sides agreeing not to talk about it... but the question remains unanswered.
    A non-apology ... are you looking for an apology? If you were to provide a specific example that relates to us personally, that we were involved with, it would likely be pretty quick for an Fi dom to apologize. But it seems like you're asking all Fi dominant individuals to relate to and make concession for the alleged sins of the few. For example, it's like asking all men to apologize for the men who exhibit sexist behaviour or commit crimes or beat their spouses. Is it fair to lump everyone into a generic bucket like that?

    It hasn't even been determined that the guilty Fi users are specifically Fi dom. You are seeing immature or inferior Fi when it expresses in this way. We can all be guilty of this from time to time. I didn't see many (or any) here expressly deny it.

    One distinction of note is the difference in enneagram types. For example I relate to a lot of what Amargith has posted, except for the negative emotions part of the ride. I keep this to myself, probably 99% of the time. Is that necessarily better or wise? Likely not. It's just that I value harmony and step back from creating unnecessary drama just because I feel bad. I dislike the ensuing conflict. Amar is a 4 wing and not afraid to go there. I as a 9 wing am.

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Fi is not strictly personal. The rest of us have it in our lives, too - through the interactions with y'all. We want to know it better, but more importantly, we also don't want to be dismissed outright when we have reasonable criticism, to be treated as if we had made a personal assault on the Fi-user's character. That's all.
    You have it in your lives in more that just your relationships with others. You possess it too, even if it seems an enigma to you. And mostly (I think) it is the language to explain the criticism that is more objectionable than any actual criticism per se. I don't walk around calling NT's arrogant pompous asses, because I think it disrespectful (even if you do not). So when you call Fi out in what are perceived derogatory terms, it is hurtful, even if you don't intend, acknowledge or understand this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    You're forgetting that you're the one asking for the explanation. That you're the one who (supposedly) wants to understand, who's asking for a favour from me in essence, to learn something he doesn't grasp. I don't have to do squat.
    When you visit a foreign country, do you expect them to speak English? Do you not try to understand the culture you are entering, try to "go along to get along?" If you are asking Fi doms for input, does it not make sense that in order to get the best result, you should be trying to relate from our perspective, not your own? Softer language, and some genuinely expressed desire to understand would go a long way!

    Hey, Fi is feeling. Feelings are important. Just show respect for them and you will get so much input and cooperation you won't be able to keep up! When I poke my head in the NT forum, I use tools that help me relate to you, use logical arguments and frameworks. Why does the NT stand at a distance and still expect to understand?

  9. #249
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Way to advocate for yourself. :rolli:

    What else would I want to take away from it? I've got thousands of other threads to learn other things from. Just as you mentioned earlier, Fi isn't so special as to warrant a novel every time it comes up.
    Then what are you doing wasting me time critiquing something you don't even wanna understand?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  10. #250
    Magical BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Way to advocate for yourself. :rolli:

    What else would I want to take away from it? I've got thousands of other threads to learn other things from. Just as you mentioned earlier, Fi isn't so special as to warrant a novel every time it comes up.
    Is there a specific question you have (or anyone has)? I was gone for the Christmas holiday (so I didn't really get involved in the thread in it's later stages) and I'm going to attempt to put a well thought out answer here.

    But I want a specific question.

    Any ideas? I tried to answer the OP, but it seems as though there is something else that is being asked at this point in the thread.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] NTJs: how does Fi manifest in your type?
    By Venom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
  2. [Fi] Fi building
    By BlueScreen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
  3. [Fi] What does "Fi" really look like?
    By INTPness in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
  4. [Fi] Fi -- Why does it drive you nuts?
    By CzeCze in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
  5. [Fi] Fi: You only get it if you got it
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 649
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO