First 3111213141523 Last

Thread: Pretentious Fi

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Q, you rule. Alternatively, you could briefly acknowledge the Fi-users values on the topic and ask them to discuss sheer thoughts instead, without any judgement, just for the heck of it. But make sure you acknowledge first, as it is uncomfortable to discuss something that goes against our values or seems to skim close to the border of them without stating so and making sure the other person gets that.

Once that's out of the way, I'm open to the craziest thoughts and will gladly go along with it. If we then end up on another topic, you might have to do the same again, in order to keep things going, as it's automatic reflex

For the record: I don't mean to imply you have to do all the work, coz you're wrong in the way you go about things. However, it's practically impossible to get every Fi-user you wanna talk to to read this thread and accept a compromise between you two. So, if you want to talk to them, you'll have to use some tricks to manoevre around the minefields. I try to do the same with NTPs.

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear the opinion of some of the NTPs I regularly converse with as that mostly goes well and I'd love to hear how they experience that communication and what they consider to be handy when dealing with Fi-users (aka me amongst others )

Oh, and here's another tip: get to know the Fi-user first, before getting into heavy debates. If we have a baseline of who you are, and how you naturally respond to things, it's way easier to not get defensive on you during debate as we inherently know what you are like. Otherwise your debating skills and zeal are the first input in our systems...not the best first impression, especially not with the miscommunication and emotions that tend to flare up

Edit: I'm sorry, Tesla, but the way you formulated things is partly at the core of the problem. Sure we can take it..doesn't mean we want to glance over your nonchalant emotional formulating. Just as NTPs tend to not want to glance over our nonchalance in language when debating your pet topics and misinterpret what we're saying as they disect things to a level we didn't even think they would go, which leads to reading things in what we say when we actually didn't mean them that way. Same prob
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Orangey, notice I ignored many posts that identified with my claim as well. You're just looking for evidence that supports your theory rather than unbiasedly collecting and analyzing data. What kind of NTP are you anyway?

I'd love to go back and respond to some of the posts that I had to "ignore", and I think I'll do that in a bit.

But ya know what? You got me. I didn't respond to every single post, and since I didn't respond to the ones arguing against my perceptions of Fi, that means I have zero interest in changing my perceptions and that my main goal is to just complain about this "pretentious Fi." Fuck you, Fi users! You all suck, and the world would be a better place without you!! Doesn't everyone agree??

There, you happy now?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Hey, I never said that the appearance of not caring about contradictory information meant that you really didn't care about it or take it into account. I was just offering an explanation for why people might have reacted the way that they did (well, more of a justification, but I still stand by it.)

You know, the whole being/appearance distinction.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Hey, I never said that the appearance of not caring about contradictory information meant that you really didn't care about it. I was just offering an explanation for why people might have reacted the way that they did.
    Oh, well I already had that one figured out, but thanks. People don't like giving the benefit of the doubt, and I left room for doubt, so I deserved what I had coming I suppose. It just was annoying because I wasted so much time having to justify myself and clarify my intentions, and you appeared to exacerbate the problem.

I would have liked to spend my posts in analyzing other posts pertinent to the topic at hand (like yours and Poki's and Seymour's), but I had to waste so much time clarifying and reclarifying that I'm just over it now. I'll definitely come back to it later though. See you then perhaps.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

LOL..ok that's ironic
    You sound like me when NTPs give me a head ache
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Does anybody feel like strong Fi users are really pretentious when it comes to understanding emotions? It seems like Fi people constantly think they know how other people are feeling but are wrong many times. In my experience, Fi users seem to feel the overwhelming urge to convince me that I'm feeling a certain way. It can be kind of annoying at times, but maybe it's some times helpful?

Why do you Fi users do this? Or is this not an Fi thing and just something I made up in my head?

Perhaps Fi users hear another person's perspective and think in terms of how their own mind would manifest that perspective and automatically assume that the rest of the world would express it the same way, leading to flaws in their emotional analyses.

I feel like NFJs are so much better than NFPs at interpreting feelings and thinking about human behavior in terms of the feelings that guide such behaviors, but NFPs simply think they absolutely rock the world of emotional analysis. It's obnoxiously arrogant. SFPs are also more accurate than NFPs (maybe it's the Ni?). I don't know about SFJs. I think they just don't really try to overanalyze other people's heartfelt issues as much as other F types.

Is this an Fi thing, or am I giving Fi a bad rap? Thoughts?

I see the value in Fi when it's used more realistically, but it seems to me like oftentimes it's just completely out of control.

Now before you Fi types start declaring how arrogant Ti is, I'm alread acknowledging this. I pretend/think that I know/understand a lot more about logical systems than the average Joe, so if you bring up arrogant Ti, please make it relevant to the issue at hand rather than a tool for bashing the NTP who started this thread, k?
    You refer to Fe.
    Not Fi.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Once again, the eternal torment - seeming to always ask the questions no one wants to answer.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This is what happens when someone makes broad claim/theory based on a weak premise. Pages and pages of backtracking and "you don't understand me!" from the OPer.

Just think through your ideas more next time.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Myopia...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    This is what happens when someone makes broad claim/theory based on a weak premise. Pages and pages of backtracking and "you don't understand me!" from the OPer.

Just think through your ideas more next time.
    Well I wasn't making any broad claims. I was asking for peoples' inputs on my perceptions. I didn't really even have a premise. I just wanted the OP to spur random trains of thought. I didn't want it to be organized and direct and explicit.