• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Si vs Ni

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I know it's not just etiquette rules, but try convincing other people! But the feeling I'm getting from people is that that's basically all there is to it. I mean how do I tell people how I experience Fe? To even explain it sounds fake. I care about people. I have a very real and active concern about people I come into contact with, no matter how limited our time is together. It's real and it's happening and I care about you, right then and there and it's not forced or just being nice. It's sincere and I feel it. If it comes out as "how are you doing" then I want to know how you are doing. No, I'm not particularly picky about who gets it and if that seems fake then, I feel a little sad for people who can't experience what it feels like to actually care about a person who you've just met. I'm not saying I have feelings for them like I'm in love or something, it's just that I care about them. And yes it may be gone when I'm not around you, but the doesn't mean it's empty and it varies in levels and intensity
Yep. I can seriously stink at etiquette rules sometimes because they seem artificial.

The real rule is something like "This is my fellow human being." or even "This is my fellow living creature." Something like a kinship of shared existence. I don't know. The being I'm interacting with and the experience they are having has value. That value is innate and I care. I doesn't matter if I should or should not. Empathing is my default setting. I can shut it off, but it requires conscious effort to do so. People's feelings are as real to me as a scent in the air.

I would imagine this would be even more the case for those with dominant Fe.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please keep talking... I'm trying hard to understand all of this, and I very much appreciate hearing what everyone has to say.

(There is also the idea that perhaps some of this is not really MBTI-related whatsoever? Perhaps these are simply the experiences of people who feel connected to others, regardless of type...?)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
(There is also the idea that perhaps some of this is not really MBTI-related whatsoever? Perhaps these are simply the experiences of people who feel connected to others, regardless of type...?)

What exactly does that mean? Defining them as the experiences of people who feel connected to others doesn't help us understand them any better... or does it??

I feel like you were trying to say something, and I missed it. :huh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I asked other ENFJs this question and I hope I'll get some replies about this. I distinguish between my personal feelings and more general feelings. Usually the two overlap, but not always. Fe/Fi aren't feelings, they're functions, vehicles, or pathways. I don't consider Fe my feelings anymore than Te/Ti are thoughts. They're both modes of expressing rationality. Paired with Ni or Si gives it flavor, but I don't see how the functions are diametrically opposed.
The way Ni/Fe can oppose in my experience (and maybe what I'm going to describe is not an opposition between those two functions, but something else entirely) is that Fe has something like a template value system like Jennifer described. It is something like the general feelings you describe, I think. It is the "should" maybe. Then there is Ni. It is constantly flipping everything around and making me see things from other angles. It is very fluid and does not give a flying flip what Fe has on it's little template. It brings in exceptions, caveats, anecdotal evidence, what I know of other cultures and how they work, you get the idea. Sometimes Fe's template and Ni's Sit'n'Spin don't mesh or worse, collide. There's never really any resting easy between the two.

What exactly does that mean? Defining them as the experiences of people who feel connected to others doesn't help us understand them any better... or does it??

I feel like you were trying to say something, and I missed it. :huh:
It could be something not related to type, but something that transcends type and functions.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yep. I can seriously stink at etiquette rules sometimes because they seem artificial.

The real rule is something like "This is my fellow human being." or even "This is my fellow living creature." Something like a kinship of shared existence. I don't know. The being I'm interacting with and the experience they are having has value. That value is innate and I care. I doesn't matter if I should or should not. Empathing is my default setting. I can shut it off, but it requires conscious effort to do so. People's feelings are as real to me as a scent in the air.

I agree with this. I, too, am awful at etiquette. If anything, I can be rather unconventional. I also agree that I feel other's feelings are "as real as a scent in the air". It's hard for me to turn off feeling other people's feelings so when I get to the point when all of my feelings are someone else's, I tend to shut them out. This is how I can best explain my "disappearing act" when someone is sucking the life out of me. The only way I can seperate from their feelings is to physically distance myself from them.

I think Fe can show up differently in different types, depending on what function is working with Fe or what Fe is projecting. For an INFJ, Fe can be an outlet for Ni. For an ISFJ, Fe can be an outlet for Si. That is going to appear differently & I would imagine more in the form of "etiquette". An INFJ's "shoulds & should nots" don't really follow the conventional rules - they more follow the rules of showing how you care about other people (usually dictated by our Ni, I assume). I find my Fe takes different forms depending on the person - some people need me to physically be there, some need a gift, some need space, etc... and I can do all of these things because I intuitively pick up on the needs of others through Ni & Ni keeps me flexible in my actions.

I've said before that if it were someone's birthday, a Fe person would find the perfect, personalized present that the person would definitely want and bake a cake with their favorite icing. It's the Si that would actually remember the birthday, though. As a Ni dominant with little use of Si, I have to log everyone's birthdays on a wall calendar because I am notorious for forgetting dates. The Fe would be acting on & celebrating not necessarily the event, but the PERSON associated with the event.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've said before that if it were someone's birthday, a Fe person would find the perfect, personalized present that the person would definitely want and bake a cake with their favorite icing. It's the Si that would actually remember the birthday, though...
That was priceless. :thumbup:

I can't remember occasions and don't care about them except if they have an effect on the person. I never even remember my own occasions and don't care if others forget. I'm in the same camp that struggles with etiquette. It gets me in trouble when working with groups of women who have expectations. I end up offending people by forgetting things, and then become very aware of their disappointment and feelings, feel mildly doomed, and then retreat and philosophize about how people interrelate and the role of rituals in how others find meaning, etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It means perhaps this is a flaw not of people understanding MBTI properly, but a flaw of the theory itself... because what seems lumped into Fe actually cuts across different MBTI types.

Or perhaps the nuances PM is trying to bring to the table aren't actually part of the Fe function description... but what she is describing is more authentic in describing people.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
It means perhaps this is a flaw not of people understanding MBTI properly, but a flaw of the theory itself... because what seems lumped into Fe actually cuts across different MBTI types.

Perhaps, if what you see in the descriptions is a rule based social ettiquette program for how to be "nice" to people.

I am not fond of the Fe descriptions I have read and find little personal resonance in them. I feel strong resonance with how other XNFJ's here have described their relationship with Fe.

However, I also think that what I hear most non-Fe types describe as Fe does not match closely either with what I think the Fe descriptions are getting at or what I've come to understand is at least an XNFJ's experience with Fe.

I have begun to wonder if non-Fe types often relate to Fe in a way that clinically deconstructs the social interaction process that comes naturally to Fe types and then follows that template as a sort of social rule book. I sense that then they often proceed to project their disengaged experience back outward assuming that Fe types experience is the same as theirs. My sense based on how I experience Fe and how I've seen others describe their experience with Fe is that it is not the same at all.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Ah, yes. Now this I understand. :) I have wondered about that myself. Fe seems to have two kinds of implied definitions. One is simply displaying one's emotion openly and expecting a response, and the other is simply adhering to social rules or paying attention to other's emotional states. It could be an important difference between dominant and auxiliary Fe, or else could be the subtle work of a psychological process separate from what we call "Fe" that impacts it's expression, such as Rationality/Irrationality, Limbic/Calm, Egocentric/Agreeable, etc. (Just listing a few things that are measured in other personality systems.)

Or perhaps the nuances PM is trying to bring to the table aren't actually part of the Fe function description... but what she is describing is more authentic in describing people.

Well, if they're part of something else, then we should probably try to figure out what. I don't have any reason to believe that she was mistaken about what she perceived, or that the theory already encompasses every major aspect of psychological nuance.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Yes! By default I don't shut off/out other people's feelings. In fact, it is an effort for me to stop thinking "this person might feel/feels X." I have to tell myself, you don't care and then proceed to not caring. The downside of this is that sometimes I give people emotions that they're not feeling at all.

Perhaps, if what you see in the descriptions is a rule based social ettiquette program for how to be "nice" to people.

I am not fond of the Fe descriptions I have read and find little personal resonance in them. I feel strong resonance with how other XNFJ's here have described their relationship with Fe.

However, I also think that what I hear most non-Fe types describe as Fe does not match closely either with what I think the Fe descriptions are getting at or what I've come to understand is at least an XNFJ's experience with Fe.

I have begun to wonder if non-Fe types often relate to Fe in a way that clinically deconstructs the social interaction process that comes naturally to Fe types and then follows that template as a sort of social rule book. I sense that then they often proceed to project their disengaged experience back outward assuming that Fe types experience is the same as theirs. My sense based on how I experience Fe and how I've seen others describe their experience with Fe is that it is not the same at all.

Double yes! :happy0065: And then what makes it annoying is that people tell you how you experience Fe, like you're just an automaton that just doles out smiles and irrevelant cheer, regardless of how the person actually feels. You will be happy because I decree it. I HATE most Fe descriptions, which is why I disregard them because they all seem to stress adherence to external standards and values and gratuitous emoting as Fe. They're soulless and cold and I don't like them.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not understanding what you all are alluding to. Please explain.:confused:

I truly believe that not many people understand what Fe is. I'm still trying to understand it and I'm Fe dominant. People think it's just rules on how to treat people and nothing more. You don't even have to mean it, just do it because everyone else does. It's completely bound and rigid. And since it's so readily apparent, everyone thinks they have it all figured out.

And then we get the IFJ Fe which is a little different from EFJ Fe. And then we have the distinctions between INFJ/ISFJ and ESFJ/ENFJ Fe. I guess my resentment is about to come out because I see no sustained interest in trying to analyze Fe the way all other functions are analyzed and I don't have the energy or desire to respond to every comment constraining Fe to a little box that every other function (except Se, Si, and sometimes Te) is free to roam outside of.

As for how I experience FeNi, I don't feel like my mind is being pulled apart. When I interact with people, there's always these thoughts in my mind thinking, "what's the alternative, what does this mean, what are this person's motivations?" My FeNi tries to be anticipatory of what people are going to say, or do, feel, act, behave and what I can do to be there before they get there. It's so much I really can't even describe it at length. I'm not really documenting how my mind runs as I use it.

Like I said, I don't understand what is meant, but if I get more detail then I'll try to have a reply.

What I am saying is that I don't fully understand how Ni and Fe interact with each other, especially when Ni is the primary function. In a sense Ni is the most detached function, but Fe is the most attached. Fe wants to attach itself to people and ideals and believe in these things strongly. Ni wants to view things impartially almost as if reality doesn't exist. The two functions seem to be at odds. (Cafe seems to be describing an aspect of this in post 24.)

I don't actually see as much of a conflict between the two in an ENFJ as I do in an INFJ. Perhaps I am wrong, but with an ENFJ I imagine Fe is in the driver seat, so Ni doesn't really get a chance to fully detach. Fe always has a goal that it wants Ni to work toward, so I don't see how Ni can totally become impartial. (I'm assuming a similar thing happens in ENTJ's as well.) Or even if the ENFJ does let Ni run wild she can reign it in whenever she wants.

With an INFJ though, Ni is free to impartially view all vantage points, but when a decision is made it is not impartial in the slightest. It does sometimes seem that after all that Ni analysis is done the final decision is to pick the one that is shiniest, lol. :D Ni is detached, but Fe cares deeply. It's like Neo from "The Matrix" is teamed up with Mr. Rogers. I don't always understand how the two can work together.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...With an INFJ though, Ni is free to impartially view all vantage points, but when a decision is made it is not impartial in the slightest. It does sometimes seem that after all that Ni analysis is done the final decision is to pick the one that is shiniest, lol. :D Ni is detached, but Fe cares deeply. It's like Neo from "The Matrix" is teamed up with Mr. Rogers. I don't always understand how the two can work together.
The fact that Ni reconciles paradox can allow for it dealing with the attachment/detachment dilemma. I experience moments of detachment from any and all people I love. It can create a strong sense of isolation. It is possible to feel both simultaneously. Perhaps it plays out differently with each INFJ individual. Fwiw when experiencing intense pain, there forms two streams in my mind, one of intense involvement and one of detachment. I can observe and experience simultaneously. When the experience is too much, I easily move to a vantage point outside that experience. This creates a somewhat unusual ability to be able to discuss rationally the trauma while experiencing it. This does not occur with consistency, but that it can occur seems interesting to me. This could be part of that Ni-Fe contradiction? Perhaps there are other explanations.

Usehername

On a mission
The fact that Ni reconciles paradox can allow for it dealing with the attachment/detachment dilemma. I experience moments of detachment from any and all people I love. It can create a strong sense of isolation. It is possible to feel both simultaneously. Perhaps it plays out differently with each INFJ individual. Fwiw when experiencing intense pain, there forms two streams in my mind, one of intense involvement and one of detachment. I can observe and experience simultaneously. When the experience is too much, I easily move to a vantage point outside that experience. This creates a somewhat unusual ability to be able to discuss rationally the trauma while experiencing it. This does not occur with consistency, but that it can occur seems interesting to me. This could be part of that Ni-Fe contradiction? Perhaps there are other explanations.

yes! modularity. they both exist; they are both a part of the person... but that doesn't mean one feeds the other. closed systems.

R

RDF

This thread seems all over the place. At first it was about Ni vs. Si, but subsequent posts raise all kinds of other issues.

Anyway, I'm no more of an expert than anyone else. But I'll try building a simplistic analogy that matches the way I understand these things. (I apologize for the length of these things; I'm starting to post like Bluewing.)

Perceiving vs. Judging

The perceiving functions are N and S. They are the cops and detectives at a police station. They investigate a problem (a crime, a dispute, whatever) and build a case for trial. Once they've either built a sufficiently strong case or simply run out of leads to follow, they deliver the case to the lawyers and the courtroom.

The judging functions are T and F. They are the lawyers (and judge) in the courtroom. They take the case from the perceiving functions, assign priorities and value to the collected evidence, compare the evidence to precedent and law, deliver a ruling, and assign bailiffs to go out and execute the ruling.

[Edit:] Please note that the progression from police station to courtroom is a "hypothetical" or "ideal" progression. As we'll see below, the progression usually isn't quite that neat and orderly when practiced in real life.

Perceiving: S vs. N

Returning to the cops and detective in the police station:

S = the cops that follow hard leads according to established procedure. The evidence that they track down will include both facts and feelings (both T and F). When working properly, the cops really don't notice whether the evidence is T or F. It's all just raw evidence to them. (It's up to the courts to prioritize T and F or throw out one or the other.)

N = the detectives that follow flimsy leads to distant locations for a big break on the case. Again, they collect both facts and feelings (both T and F). They tend to bring in a lot of circumstantial evidence, but they figure if the circumstantial evidence weaves together nicely then they probably have a pretty strong case.

The cops and detectives are based in the police station (perceiving function). Most police stations will tend to have an imbalance in the numbers: If the cops are in the majority, then the police station is considered an S function. If the detectives are in the majority, then the police station is an N function.

Introverted perceiving vs extraverted perceiving

The police station is located at a big municipal administrative building in the center of the city. The police station can either be located deep in the interior of the administrative building, far from the hubbub of the outer world (Si/Ni), or it can be located right at the main front door of the administrative building (Se/Ne).

Si/Ni: If the police station is located deep in the interior of the administrative building, then cases tend to be built carefully and at length in a quiet environment, far away from the noise and bustle of the outside world.

Se/Ne: If the police station is located right at the main front door of the administrative building, then the atmosphere is going to be much more loud and hectic. People will be coming and going with evidence, cops will bringing in bad guys, there will be sirens and gunfire, police will be rushing out on calls, etc. The station will still be sorting evidence and building cases, but under the pressure and immediacy of the moment the police may tend to act on the case themselves without bringing it to the courtroom.

Judging: T vs. F

Concerning the lawyers in the courtroom:

In the courtroom there are T lawyers and F lawyers. If the T lawyers are vastly in the majority, the first thing they'll probably do is have the F evidence thrown out of court. (The real world example would be a Thinker who is aware of the social and emotional ramifications of an issue--it's part of the evidence collected by the cops--but he deliberately chooses to discount them or disregard them entirely.) Conversely, T evidence will get thrown out if the F lawyers are numerous and strong (i.e., a Feeler who is aware of scientific evidence against his beliefs but chooses to ignore the scientific evidence).

In a courtroom that is more evenly balanced between T and F, both kinds of evidence will be retained and taken into consideration, but it will be prioritized. Priorities may change depending on the environment: In a real-world workplace environment, the T evidence will have a higher priority; at home dealing with the wife, the F evidence will have the higher priority.

Next, the evidence and case will be compared against legal and moral codes. T legal codes will prescribe analytical and logical guidelines for weighing the evidence. F moral codes will prescribe etiquette and emotional guidelines. Inevitably there will be some conflicts within and between the codes and their application to the case in hand, so there will be more prioritizing and balancing of competing directives.

But it all occurs rather quickly. Procedures, codes and priorities are pretty well established by long habit and use and precedent, and pretty quickly a decision is reached, the judge slams down the gavel, and the case is closed. The bailiff goes into action and executes the ruling.

Introverted judging vs extraverted judging

The courtroom is located in the same big municipal administrative building as the police station. If the police station is located deep in the interior of the administrative building (Ni/Si), then the courtroom is located right at the main front door of the administrative building and has to deal with all the noise and hubbub (Te/Fe). OTOH, if the police station is at the front of the building(Ne/Se), then the courtroom is tucked away deep in the interior (Ti/Fi).

Ti/Fi: If the courtroom is located deep in the interior, then cases are decided in a quiet environment, remote from the noise and action of the street.

Te/Fe: If the courtroom is located right at the main front door of the administrative building, then the atmosphere is going to be much more loud and hectic. People will be passing through with evidence and bad guys on the way to the police station, there will be sirens and gunfire, police will be rushing through the courtroom to go out on calls, etc. The courtroom will still be reviewing evidence and deciding cases, but under the pressure and immediacy of the moment the courtroom may tend to intercept and rule on some of the material passing through, without allowing it to get to the police station.

Dominant functions

In a perfectly balanced person, the police station (N/S) would gather evidence and build the case, and the courtroom (T/F) would prioritize the evidence and analyze it and then reach a ruling. Furthermore, the two functions would contribute to each other's development. For example, a strongly T courtroom would keep seeing lots of F evidence showing up in the evidence coming from the police station, and across time the courtroom would start paying attention to the F evidence alongside the T evidence. In turn, as the courtroom develops in sophistication, it will demand more sophistication, efficiency, and variety from the police station and how it does its work.

But in most people, there exists an imbalance and the stronger of the two becomes the Dominant. The Dominant tends to hijack the Auxiliary and turn it into a rubber-stamp facility.

Dominant Fi/Ti (ISTP, ISFP, INFP, INTP):

The courtroom (F/T) is powerful (Dominant) and is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world (Introverted). The police station is at the front of the building but it's undermanned and largely ignored (N/S, Extraverted, Auxiliary). When the cops (Se) or detectives (Ne) try to collect some evidence and bring a case to the courtroom, the court tends to reject the case outright (refusal to deal with real-world issues). Instead, the lawyers sit around in the courtroom and debate the legal and moral codes themselves. When they want to deal with the world at all, they tend to hijack the cops or detectives and make them hunt down evidence in the real world that will suit the T or F agenda of the court and the codes (seeking only real-world experiences and evidence that conform to existing prejudices and personal beliefs). The court itself tends to skew increasingly toward a one-sided T or F line-up of lawyers, since it only admits evidence and cases that support it's prejudices and pre-judgments.

That's an extreme example, of course. In real life, the imbalance is often moderate and/or may change from one time or situation to the next. For example, the individual may demonstrate a high degree of balance between Dominant and Auxiliary when in the workplace (because the person must incorporate real-world concerns), but then demonstrate imbalance at home where the person feels he is more at liberty to "be himself" (and thus the person may be very solitary and unsociable outside of work).

Dominant Ne/Se (ESTP, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP):

The police station (N/S) is powerful (Dominant) and is at the front of the building (Extraverted). The courtroom is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world and it's undermanned and largely ignored (T/F, Introverted, Auxiliary). The cops and police detectives are reacting to what's happening right out on the streets in front of their station, so they are rushing around from crime scene to crime scene, collecting likely suspects, and flying off to faraway place to follow whimsical leads. They are all quite active, to the point that they don't have much time for the courtroom. The courtroom still functions, but it is largely pro forma and just rubber-stamps whatever wiretap requests or search warrants or cases the cops bring.

Since the court is undeveloped, it tends to have a strong T or F leaning and basically just throws out one type of evidence or case and rubber-stamps the other. The cops don't tend to distinguish between T and F evidence, so it's no big deal to them if the court is exerting one-sided influence in that area.

This is a picture of a person largely reacting to circumstances with a strong F or T leaning. Cases don't tend to reach closure or they reach premature closure because the legal codes and prioritization procedures are weak or non-existent. Meantime the cops and/or detectives are getting involved in every crime scene, household dispute, and far away mystery that they run across.

Again, this is an extreme example. IRL there may be a more moderate imbalance, or a high degree of balance in one environment and less balance in another.

Dominant Ni/Si (ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ):

The police station (N/S) is powerful (Dominant) and is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world. The courtroom is at the front of the building and it's undermanned and largely ignored (T/F, Extraverted, Auxiliary). There is an enormous force of cops and/or detectives poring through data and leads in peace and quiet, far from the noise and hubbub of the outside world. Since the court is weak, there is no hurry to get a ruling or even to present the case. Since the case never goes to the courtroom, nothing gets prioritized or thrown out, so the cops and detective have the leisure of spinning enormous amounts of data and leads into grand cases. In case there are any flaws in the case, they prepare plans, backup plans, and backup plans for the backup plans. Since there are no legal codes and prioritization in the police station, the cops are free to experiment endlessly and try to map all kinds of data and leads in different combinations.

All this weaving and mapping of data and ideas takes a lot of energy and patience, though, and new information still coming in through the front door up by the courtroom can upset the work. So the cops/detectives hijack the weak, undermanned courtroom at the front of the building and get it to guard the doors by ruling arbitrarily against any new F input from the outside world if it's a T courtroom, or against any new T input if it's an F courtroom. Thus, the cops and detectives get increasingly invested in a built-up model or mapping on the inside, while outside parties are turned away by a strict, rigid judge at the front door who refuses to hear their evidence and simply rules against them because they don't fit the model inside.

[Again, standard disclaimers about extreme examples and degrees of balance/imbalance.)

Dominant Fe/Te (ESTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ):

The courtroom (F/T) is powerful (Dominant) and is at the front of the building. The police station is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world and it's undermanned and largely ignored (N/S, Introverted, Auxiliary). For the cops and detectives in the undermanned police station to build a case, they need data and leads. But the data and leads come from the outside world and have to be brought through the front door and through the strong courtroom before they can make it to the police station. If the courtroom is very strong and the police station is very weak, the courtroom will tend to seize the evidence (the N circumstantial evidence and the S data that are being dragged through the courtroom by the cops and detectives) as it is first brought into the building and rule on it right away, thereby closing the case before the cops and detectives ever get to play with it. The court's rulings tend to be snap decisions since the courtroom is dealing with the outside world on a real-time basis; the court's moral and legal codes tend to be fairly basic and the court tends to lean heavily to either T or F since the court is dealing only with single pieces of evidence and data rather than full-blown, potentially complex cases.

To spell this out further: Since F and T values and codes reside in the courtroom, the F or T rulings of the courtroom are authentically F and T. IOW, the judgments of a Dominant Fe/Te person shouldn't be considered fake with regard to the quality of their F and T. Instead, the problem is that they are snap decisions based on simplistic codes. Since cases aren't built up properly in the police station based on a full set of evidence and leads, the court doesn't develop much beyond what's needed for reaction to the immediate situation. In turn, a low level of development means the court skews heavily toward F or T. Meantime the strong but under-developed F court doesn't want to hear T data and vice versa, so it hijacks the cops and detectives from the police station and puts them to work keeping out any dissenting data and leads; which reinforces the vicious cycle of lack of development in the courtroom, heavy F or T leanings, and snap decisions directed at the outside world.

Again, the standard disclaimer:

That's an extreme example, of course. In real life, the imbalance is often moderate and/or may change from one time or situation to the next. For example, the individual may demonstrate a high degree of balance between Dominant and Auxiliary when in the workplace, by showing a high sensitivity for the need to deliberate carefully on decisions in accordance with official procedures, but then demonstrate imbalance at home where the person feels he is more at liberty to "be himself" (and thus the person may be very "administrative" or "directive" at home).

Summary

I don't see any "best fit" between functions. The perceiving and judging functions operate independently of each other. S data collected by the cops can be subject to either F or T rulings in the courtroom; N circumstantial evidence collected by the detectives can be subject to either F or T rulings in the courtroom;

What matters is the interplay between extraversion and introversion (IOW where the courtroom and police station are located in the building) and between dominant and auxiliary (IOW which of the two is stronger and is in a position to ignore or even hijack the other for its own purposes). Thus, you get 16 combinations of F/T/N/S, extraversion/introversion, and dominant/auxiliary. All work in very different but equally valid ways together.

Last edited:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you for that analogy, FineLine! :nice: I'll be using it to explain especially undeveloped auxiliaries.

R

RDF

Thank you for that analogy, FineLine! :nice: I'll be using it to explain especially undeveloped auxiliaries.

Thanks for the feedback, Economica. If the analogy works for you, go ahead and use it for your own purposes. It's my own; IOW, I didn't borrow it from anywhere, so you won't be plagiarizing anyone when you use it.

[Edit] Just to clarify: The rules for the interactions of the functions are derived from Personal Growth. The idea to illustrate the interactions as a police/courtroom dramatization is mine. :party2:

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FineLine, that was beautiful. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wonderful piece, FL ... Very thorough. I am going to have to reread it a few times to let it soak in.

My only minor quibble through the first part was that the example of a court case seemed to assume a consistent progression from data collection (perceiving function) to court judgment (judging functions), which is not true for all MBTI personalities... but then you went and explained the four basic scenarios at the end, where sometimes the collection of evidence is the focus rather than the judgment of the court... so that seems covered now. :)

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
This thread seems all over the place. At first it was about Ni vs. Si, but subsequent posts raise all kinds of other issues.

Anyway, I'm no more of an expert than anyone else. But I'll try building a simplistic analogy that matches the way I understand these things. (I apologize for the length of these things; I'm starting to post like Bluewing.)

Perceiving vs. Judging

The perceiving functions are N and S. They are the cops and detectives at a police station. They investigate a problem (a crime, a dispute, whatever) and build a case for trial. Once they've either built a sufficiently strong case or simply run out of leads to follow, they deliver the case to the lawyers and the courtroom.

The judging functions are T and F. They are the lawyers (and judge) in the courtroom. They take the case from the perceiving functions, assign priorities and value to the collected evidence, compare the evidence to precedent and law, deliver a ruling, and assign bailiffs to go out and execute the ruling.

Perceiving: S vs. N

Returning to the cops and detective in the police station:

S = the cops that follow hard leads according to established procedure. The evidence that they track down will include both facts and feelings (both T and F). When working properly, the cops really don't notice whether the evidence is T or F. It's all just raw evidence to them. (It's up to the courts to prioritize T and F or throw out one or the other.)

N = the detectives that follow flimsy leads to distant locations for a big break on the case. Again, they collect both facts and feelings (both T and F). They tend to bring in a lot of circumstantial evidence, but they figure if the circumstantial evidence weaves together nicely then they probably have a pretty strong case.

The cops and detectives are based in the police station (perceiving function). Most police stations will tend to have an imbalance in the numbers: If the cops are in the majority, then the police station is considered an S function. If the detectives are in the majority, then the police station is an N function.

Introverted perceiving vs extraverted perceiving

The police station is located at a big municipal administrative building in the center of the city. The police station can either be located deep in the interior of the administrative building, far from the hubbub of the outer world (Si/Ni), or it can be located right at the main front door of the administrative building (Se/Ne).

Si/Ni: If the police station is located deep in the interior of the administrative building, then cases tend to be built carefully and at length in a quiet environment, far away from the noise and bustle of the outside world.

Se/Ne: If the police station is located right at the main front door of the administrative building, then the atmosphere is going to be much more loud and hectic. People will be coming and going with evidence, cops will bringing in bad guys, there will be sirens and gunfire, police will be rushing out on calls, etc. The station will still be sorting evidence and building cases, but under the pressure and immediacy of the moment the police may tend to act on the case themselves without bringing it to the courtroom.

Judging: T vs. F

Concerning the lawyers in the courtroom:

In the courtroom there are T lawyers and F lawyers. If the T lawyers are vastly in the majority, the first thing they'll probably do is have the F evidence thrown out of court. (The real world example would be a Thinker who is aware of the social and emotional ramifications of an issue--it's part of the evidence collected by the cops--but he deliberately chooses to discount them or disregard them entirely.) Conversely, T evidence will get thrown out if the F lawyers are numerous and strong (i.e., a Feeler who is aware of scientific evidence against his beliefs but chooses to ignore the scientific evidence).

In a courtroom that is more evenly balanced between T and F, both kinds of evidence will be retained and taken into consideration, but it will be prioritized. Priorities may change depending on the environment: In a real-world workplace environment, the T evidence will have a higher priority; at home dealing with the wife, the F evidence will have the higher priority.

Next, the evidence and case will be compared against legal and moral codes. T legal codes will prescribe analytical and logical guidelines for weighing the evidence. F moral codes will prescribe etiquette and emotional guidelines. Inevitably there will be some conflicts within and between the codes and their application to the case in hand, so there will be more prioritizing and balancing of competing directives.

But it all occurs rather quickly. Procedures, codes and priorities are pretty well established by long habit and use and precedent, and pretty quickly a decision is reached, the judge slams down the gavel, and the case is closed. The bailiff goes into action and executes the ruling.

Introverted judging vs extraverted judging

The courtroom is located in the same big municipal administrative building as the police station. If the police station is located deep in the interior of the administrative building (Ni/Si), then the courtroom is located right at the main front door of the administrative building and has to deal with all the noise and hubbub (Te/Fe). OTOH, if the police station is at the front of the building(Ne/Se), then the courtroom is tucked away deep in the interior (Ti/Fi).

Ti/Fi: If the courtroom is located deep in the interior, then cases are decided in a quiet environment, remote from the noise and action of the street.

Te/Fe: If the courtroom is located right at the main front door of the administrative building, then the atmosphere is going to be much more loud and hectic. People will be passing through with evidence and bad guys on the way to the police station, there will be sirens and gunfire, police will be rushing through the courtroom to go out on calls, etc. The courtroom will still be reviewing evidence and deciding cases, but under the pressure and immediacy of the moment the courtroom may tend to intercept and rule on some of the material passing through, without allowing it to get to the police station.

Dominant functions

In a perfectly balanced person, the police station (N/S) would gather evidence and build the case, and the courtroom (T/F) would prioritize the evidence and analyze it and then reach a ruling. Furthermore, the two functions would contribute to each other's development. For example, a strongly T courtroom would keep seeing lots of F evidence showing up in the evidence coming from the police station, and across time the courtroom would start paying attention to the F evidence alongside the T evidence. In turn, as the courtroom develops in sophistication, it will demand more sophistication, efficiency, and variety from the police station and how it does its work.

But in most people, there exists an imbalance and the stronger of the two becomes the Dominant. The Dominant tends to hijack the Auxiliary and turn it into a rubber-stamp facility.

Dominant Fi/Ti (ISTP, ISFP, INFP, INTP):

The courtroom (F/T) is powerful (Dominant) and is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world (Introverted). The police station is at the front of the building but it's undermanned and largely ignored (N/S, Extraverted, Auxiliary). When the cops (Se) or detectives (Ne) try to collect some evidence and bring a case to the courtroom, the court tends to reject the case outright (refusal to deal with real-world issues). Instead, the lawyers sit around in the courtroom and debate the legal and moral codes themselves. When they want to deal with the world at all, they tend to hijack the cops or detectives and make them hunt down evidence in the real world that will suit the T or F agenda of the court and the codes (seeking only real-world experiences and evidence that conform to existing prejudices and personal beliefs). The court itself tends to skew increasingly toward a one-sided T or F line-up of lawyers, since it only admits evidence and cases that support it's prejudices and pre-judgments.

That's an extreme example, of course. In real life, the imbalance is often moderate and/or may change from one time or situation to the next. For example, the individual may demonstrate a high degree of balance between Dominant and Auxiliary when in the workplace (because the person must incorporate real-world concerns), but then demonstrate imbalance at home where the person feels he is more at liberty to "be himself" (and thus the person may be very solitary and unsociable outside of work).

Dominant Ne/Se (ESTP, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP):

The police station (N/S) is powerful (Dominant) and is at the front of the building (Extraverted). The courtroom is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world and it's undermanned and largely ignored (T/F, Introverted, Auxiliary). The cops and police detectives are reacting to what's happening right out on the streets in front of their station, so they are rushing around from crime scene to crime scene, collecting likely suspects, and flying off to faraway place to follow whimsical leads. They are all quite active, to the point that they don't have much time for the courtroom. The courtroom still functions, but it is largely pro forma and just rubber-stamps whatever wiretap requests or search warrants or cases the cops bring.

Since the court is undeveloped, it tends to have a strong T or F leaning and basically just throws out one type of evidence or case and rubber-stamps the other. The cops don't tend to distinguish between T and F evidence, so it's no big deal to them if the court is exerting one-sided influence in that area.

This is a picture of a person largely reacting to circumstances with a strong F or T leaning. Cases don't tend to reach closure or they reach premature closure because the legal codes and prioritization procedures are weak or non-existent. Meantime the cops and/or detectives are getting involved in every crime scene, household dispute, and far away mystery that they run across.

Again, this is an extreme example. IRL there may be a more moderate imbalance, or a high degree of balance in one environment and less balance in another.

Dominant Ni/Si (ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ):

The police station (N/S) is powerful (Dominant) and is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world. The courtroom is at the front of the building and it's undermanned and largely ignored (T/F, Extraverted, Auxiliary). There is an enormous force of cops and/or detectives poring through data and leads in peace and quiet, far from the noise and hubbub of the outside world. Since the court is weak, there is no hurry to get a ruling or even to present the case. Since the case never goes to the courtroom, nothing gets prioritized or thrown out, so the cops and detective have the leisure of spinning enormous amounts of data and leads into grand cases. In case there are any flaws in the case, they prepare plans, backup plans, and backup plans for the backup plans. Since there are no legal codes and prioritization in the police station, the cops are free to experiment endlessly and try to map all kinds of data and leads in different combinations.

All this weaving and mapping of data and ideas takes a lot of energy and patience, though, and new information still coming in through the front door up by the courtroom can upset the work. So the cops/detectives hijack the weak, undermanned courtroom at the front of the building and get it to guard the doors by ruling arbitrarily against any new F input from the outside world if it's a T courtroom, or against any new T input if it's an F courtroom. Thus, the cops and detectives get increasingly invested in a built-up model or mapping on the inside, while outside parties are turned away by a strict, rigid judge at the front door who refuses to hear their evidence and simply rules against them because they don't fit the model inside.

[Again, standard disclaimers about extreme examples and degrees of balance/imbalance.)

Dominant Fe/Te (ESTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ):

The courtroom (F/T) is powerful (Dominant) and is at the front of the building. The police station is buried deep in the interior of the building away from the real world and it's undermanned and largely ignored (N/S, Introverted, Auxiliary). For the cops and detectives in the undermanned police station to build a case, they need data and leads. But the data and leads come from the outside world and have to be brought through the front door and through the strong courtroom before they can make it to the police station. If the courtroom is very strong and the police station is very weak, the courtroom will tend to seize the evidence (the N circumstantial evidence and the S data that are being dragged through the courtroom by the cops and detectives) as it is first brought into the building and rule on it right away, thereby closing the case before the cops and detectives ever get to play with it. The court's rulings tend to be snap decisions since the courtroom is dealing with the outside world on a real-time basis; the court's moral and legal codes tend to be fairly basic and the court tends to lean heavily to either T or F since the court is dealing only with single pieces of evidence and data rather than full-blown, potentially complex cases.

To spell this out further: Since F and T values and codes reside in the courtroom, the F or T rulings of the courtroom are authentically F and T. IOW, the judgments of a Dominant Fe/Te person shouldn't be considered fake with regard to the quality of their F and T. Instead, the problem is that they are snap decisions based on simplistic codes. Since cases aren't built up properly in the police station based on a full set of evidence and leads, the court doesn't develop much beyond what's needed for reaction to the immediate situation. In turn, a low level of development means the court skews heavily toward F or T. Meantime the strong but under-developed F court doesn't want to hear T data and vice versa, so it hijacks the cops and detectives from the police station and puts them to work keeping out any dissenting data and leads; which reinforces the vicious cycle of lack of development in the courtroom, heavy F or T leanings, and snap decisions directed at the outside world.

Again, the standard disclaimer:

That's an extreme example, of course. In real life, the imbalance is often moderate and/or may change from one time or situation to the next. For example, the individual may demonstrate a high degree of balance between Dominant and Auxiliary when in the workplace, by showing a high sensitivity for the need to deliberate carefully on decisions in accordance with official procedures, but then demonstrate imbalance at home where the person feels he is more at liberty to "be himself" (and thus the person may be very "administrative" or "directive" at home).

Summary

I don't see any "best fit" between functions. The perceiving and judging functions operate independently of each other. S data collected by the cops can be subject to either F or T rulings in the courtroom; N circumstantial evidence collected by the detectives can be subject to either F or T rulings in the courtroom;

What matters is the interplay between extraversion and introversion (IOW where the courtroom and police station are located in the building) and between dominant and auxiliary (IOW which of the two is stronger and is in a position to ignore or even hijack the other for its own purposes). Thus, you get 16 combinations of F/T/N/S, extraversion/introversion, and dominant/auxiliary. All work in very different but equally valid ways together.

Very nicely grouped! I like the way you differentiated between dominant and auxillary functions. It's easy to see why (ESTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ) usually tend to relate to each other very well. It would also be interesting to come up with a theory in which when people are conflicted about being a particular personality type to determine it in this sort of grouping- as opposed to the am I a J or a P type bilateral question.