• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Who is more practical, SP or ST?

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
The title says it all. SP's are by definition practical according to Kiersey and Meyers, But I think an STJ has an advantage over an SFP in this area. Thoughts?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The title says it all. SP's are by definition practical according to Kiersey and Meyers, But I think an STJ has an advantage over an SFP in this area. Thoughts?

Hmmmm...interesting...

A few entries of "practical" from Practical Definition | Definition of Practical at Dictionary.com

DISCLAIMER: All opinions stated here are from my personal experiences, of people I know first hand, and tasks/actions I have worked with them on... :happy2:

...3. of, pertaining to, or concerned with ordinary activities, business, or work: practical affairs. (STJ, sure thing, great at implementing routine constructs with great precision)

4. adapted or designed for actual use; useful: practical instructions. (SFP. because creativity means alot when you have to create something that works with limited resources, and SFPs are pretty damn creative from what I've seen.)

5. engaged or experienced in actual practice or work: a practical politician. (Tie, I see no obvious winner here...)

6. inclined toward or fitted for actual work or useful activities: a practical person. (Ummm...as far as people go, SFPs should be able to be "practical" but I'd say their default is more inclined toward "it works but does it in a really interesting and noticeable way." )

7. mindful of the results, usefulness, advantages or disadvantages, etc., of action or procedure. (STJs, hands down. RULES! = STJ!!! :rules: )

8. matter-of-fact; prosaic. (STJ's, because they are Sensor-Thinkers, and thus blunt as hell...like me. :D However, their judging makes them anal retentive about it, whereas perceivers are blunt yet cool. :cool: )

-------------------------

If it came to needing a creative and flexible person, I'd go with the SFP, every time. If I needed a more rigid and reliable person to act in accordance with established policies, rules, and procedures, I'd go with the STJ, and have someone else manage them directly so they didn't ruin my procrastinating. :happy:

NOTE: Moved from NF Idyllic...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Of course Te and Fe are more "practical" in terms of basic, hands-on real world application so it's pretty obvious that SJs win in that department.

SPs are called artists, after all.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[standard disclaimer about how this is clearly person-dependent here], but on average I would guess:

STP, then STJ, then SFP.

So probably ST, to answer your question.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Might you be confusing "practical" with "pragmatic"? That's what Keirsey said about SP's (n which case, STJ is the opposite; cooperative).

I any case, they are both probably practical in their own ways. SP indicates present concrete perception, so they will see things for what they are. This I imagine could be called "practical". STJ is past concrete perception WITH external logical judgment. So they will be better at enacting things, or basically, putting them into "practice". That might be the better definition of "practical".

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Might you be confusing "practical" with "pragmatic"? That's what Keirsey said about SP's (n which case, STJ is the opposite; cooperative).

I any case, they are both probably practical in their own ways. SP indicates present concrete perception, so they will see things for what they are. This I imagine could be called "practical". STJ is past concrete perception WITH external logical judgment. So they will be better at enacting things, or basically, putting them into "practice". That might be the better definition of "practical".

NICE. :nice:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is totally anecdotal, but the ISTP I intimately know is, hands down, the most practical mofo I've ever met.

:D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
STJ, because we think about what's important both in the short term and the long term, and we also make sure to keep deadlines in mind, along with being thrifty and knowing when to and when not to go past the limit. We weigh different factors and decide by experience what options to take. STJ wins in practicality.

So ST types are the most practical, by far.

redacted

I always thought of TJs as the most practical types. (Especially STJs)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
STJ, because we think about what's important both in the short term and the long term, and we also make sure to keep deadlines in mind, along with being thrifty and knowing when to and when not to go past the limit. We weigh different factors and decide by experience what options to take. STJ wins in practicality.

So ST types are the most practical, by far.

:nice: I agree that ST wins whether it be STJ or STP, I would have to say STJ has the edge in practical though. SP has that in the moment that just defies this and says just have some fun. Worry more about getting in trouble by authority figures then getting hurt, stupid rules that authority figures enforce.

Saw a city tour on segway. The STP in me wants to take the segway down some stairs. The STJ in me starts out with maybe 5 steps and works up to more and more. My dream would be one with shocks and off-road tires. Now thats a practical segway.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One is not more practical than the other

I always thought of TJs as the most practical types. (Especially STJs)

A definition I pulled on "practical"

1. concerned with matters of fact: concerned with actual facts and real life and experience, not theory "the practical applications of this research"
2. useful: appropriate, sensible, and likely to be effective "practical advice"
3. good at solving problems: good at managing matters and dealing with problems and difficulties "He's terribly clever, but not very practical."
4. practicing: involved in the actual work of a profession or activity
"practical physician"
5. suitable for everyday use: plain, functional, and suitable for everyday use
6. virtual: resembling a particular thing in almost every way ( informal )
"The campaign was a practical disaster."

I think we can probably rule out 5 and 6 as not being particularly relevant. Both SJs and SPs in my mind are quite practical - just in different ways. Both are concerned with matters of fact, good at solving problems and sensible. The SP will demonstrate the ultimate flexibility in pursuit of an immediate goal. That is very practical. They may not be as organized in doing things. That is not as practical. The SJ will pull from a storehouse of previous experience of what works, be decisive and they will be organized in getting it done. That's very practical. They may limit themselves to a pre-conceived notion of what they've done before though and may not be open to potential options (the hammer looking for a nail scenario). That's not so practical. I don't think you can say that one is more practical than the other.

Let's take a situation where you need to conduct a negotiation. I'd much rather have a practical SP on my side than an SJ. They will be more flexible on options that benefit both sides.

You could get into the whole T vs F thing and say T is more sensible or practical than F because of the stronger focus on logical thinking. However, my view is that the way people feel is a fact, and given the importance of emotions in driving human behavior, taking them into consideration is often quite important.