User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Who is more practical, SP or ST?

The title says it all. SP's are by definition practical according to Kiersey and Meyers, But I think an STJ has an advantage over an SFP in this area. Thoughts?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Why is this in the NF forum?

(FIXED! -Halla)
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    The title says it all. SP's are by definition practical according to Kiersey and Meyers, But I think an STJ has an advantage over an SFP in this area. Thoughts?
    Hmmmm...interesting...

A few entries of "practical" from Practical Definition | Definition of Practical at Dictionary.com

DISCLAIMER: All opinions stated here are from my personal experiences, of people I know first hand, and tasks/actions I have worked with them on...

...3. of, pertaining to, or concerned with ordinary activities, business, or work: practical affairs. (STJ, sure thing, great at implementing routine constructs with great precision)

4. adapted or designed for actual use; useful: practical instructions. (SFP. because creativity means alot when you have to create something that works with limited resources, and SFPs are pretty damn creative from what I've seen.)

5. engaged or experienced in actual practice or work: a practical politician. (Tie, I see no obvious winner here...)

6. inclined toward or fitted for actual work or useful activities: a practical person. (Ummm...as far as people go, SFPs should be able to be "practical" but I'd say their default is more inclined toward "it works but does it in a really interesting and noticeable way." )

7. mindful of the results, usefulness, advantages or disadvantages, etc., of action or procedure. (STJs, hands down. RULES! = STJ!!! )

8. matter-of-fact; prosaic. (STJ's, because they are Sensor-Thinkers, and thus blunt as hell...like me. However, their judging makes them anal retentive about it, whereas perceivers are blunt yet cool. )

-------------------------

If it came to needing a creative and flexible person, I'd go with the SFP, every time. If I needed a more rigid and reliable person to act in accordance with established policies, rules, and procedures, I'd go with the STJ, and have someone else manage them directly so they didn't ruin my procrastinating.

NOTE: Moved from NF Idyllic...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

At any rate, STP wins.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Heinel View Post
    At any rate, STP wins.
    EXACTLY!!!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

STJ over SFP of course.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Of course Te and Fe are more "practical" in terms of basic, hands-on real world application so it's pretty obvious that SJs win in that department.

SPs are called artists, after all.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

[standard disclaimer about how this is clearly person-dependent here], but on average I would guess:

STP, then STJ, then SFP.

So probably ST, to answer your question.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Might you be confusing "practical" with "pragmatic"? That's what Keirsey said about SP's (n which case, STJ is the opposite; cooperative).

I any case, they are both probably practical in their own ways. SP indicates present concrete perception, so they will see things for what they are. This I imagine could be called "practical". STJ is past concrete perception WITH external logical judgment. So they will be better at enacting things, or basically, putting them into "practice". That might be the better definition of "practical".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Might you be confusing "practical" with "pragmatic"? That's what Keirsey said about SP's (n which case, STJ is the opposite; cooperative).

I any case, they are both probably practical in their own ways. SP indicates present concrete perception, so they will see things for what they are. This I imagine could be called "practical". STJ is past concrete perception WITH external logical judgment. So they will be better at enacting things, or basically, putting them into "practice". That might be the better definition of "practical".
    NICE.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: