User Tag List

First 12

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is totally anecdotal, but the ISTP I intimately know is, hands down, the most practical mofo I've ever met.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    I

STJ, because we think about what's important both in the short term and the long term, and we also make sure to keep deadlines in mind, along with being thrifty and knowing when to and when not to go past the limit. We weigh different factors and decide by experience what options to take. STJ wins in practicality.

So ST types are the most practical, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    STJ over SFP of course.
    Yeah, STP then STJ and then last but not least SFP. So ST it is.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I always thought of TJs as the most practical types. (Especially STJs)

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    STJ, because we think about what's important both in the short term and the long term, and we also make sure to keep deadlines in mind, along with being thrifty and knowing when to and when not to go past the limit. We weigh different factors and decide by experience what options to take. STJ wins in practicality.

So ST types are the most practical, by far.
    I agree that ST wins whether it be STJ or STP, I would have to say STJ has the edge in practical though. SP has that in the moment that just defies this and says just have some fun. Worry more about getting in trouble by authority figures then getting hurt, stupid rules that authority figures enforce.

Saw a city tour on segway. The STP in me wants to take the segway down some stairs. The STJ in me starts out with maybe 5 steps and works up to more and more. My dream would be one with shocks and off-road tires. Now thats a practical segway.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default One is not more practical than the other

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I always thought of TJs as the most practical types. (Especially STJs)

A definition I pulled on "practical"

1. concerned with matters of fact: concerned with actual facts and real life and experience, not theory "the practical applications of this research"
    2. useful: appropriate, sensible, and likely to be effective "practical advice"
    3. good at solving problems: good at managing matters and dealing with problems and difficulties "He's terribly clever, but not very practical."
    4. practicing: involved in the actual work of a profession or activity
    "practical physician"
    5. suitable for everyday use: plain, functional, and suitable for everyday use
    6. virtual: resembling a particular thing in almost every way ( informal )
    "The campaign was a practical disaster."

I think we can probably rule out 5 and 6 as not being particularly relevant. Both SJs and SPs in my mind are quite practical - just in different ways. Both are concerned with matters of fact, good at solving problems and sensible. The SP will demonstrate the ultimate flexibility in pursuit of an immediate goal. That is very practical. They may not be as organized in doing things. That is not as practical. The SJ will pull from a storehouse of previous experience of what works, be decisive and they will be organized in getting it done. That's very practical. They may limit themselves to a pre-conceived notion of what they've done before though and may not be open to potential options (the hammer looking for a nail scenario). That's not so practical. I don't think you can say that one is more practical than the other.

Let's take a situation where you need to conduct a negotiation. I'd much rather have a practical SP on my side than an SJ. They will be more flexible on options that benefit both sides.

You could get into the whole T vs F thing and say T is more sensible or practical than F because of the stronger focus on logical thinking. However, my view is that the way people feel is a fact, and given the importance of emotions in driving human behavior, taking them into consideration is often quite important.