• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Literary Examples of Ne

Qre:us

Inspired by Domino's awesome thread:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...lity-matrices/24381-literary-examples-ni.html

...and some disagreements on assigning Ni or Ne to a piece; what are some examples of extraverted intuition in writing?

My first submission, my fave book - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
(ne-ti)

The MadHatter: Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at.

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
Alice: …so long as I get somewhere.
The Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.

March Hare: …Then you should say what you mean.
Alice: I do; at least - at least I mean what I say -- that's the same thing, you know.
Hatter: Not the same thing a bit! Why, you might just as well say that, 'I see what I eat' is the same as 'I eat what I see'!
March Hare: You might just as well say, that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!
The Dormouse: You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alice in Wonderland.

Qre:us

The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

[will find quotes later]

Shakespeare

[will find quotes later]

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

[will find quotes later]

/P chasses away

Fecal McAngry

Pick a Dylan song, any Dylan song...

But if I am to pick out a Dylan song that illustrates Ne not only as a writing style but as a philosophy, this is...one of the better ones:

Every Grain Of Sand

In the time of my confession, in the hour of my deepest need
When the pool of tears beneath my feet flood every newborn seed
There's a dyin' voice within me reaching out somewhere,
Toiling in the danger and in the morals of despair.

Don't have the inclination to look back on any mistake,
Like Cain, I now behold this chain of events that I must break.
In the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles, in every grain of sand.

Oh, the flowers of indulgence and the weeds of yesteryear,
Like criminals, they have choked the breath of conscience and good cheer.
The sun beat down upon the steps of time to light the way
To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
And every time I pass that way I always hear my name.
Then onward in my journey I come to understand
That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand.

I have gone from rags to riches in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream, in the chill of a wintry light,
In the bitter dance of loneliness fading into space,
In the broken mirror of innocence on each forgotten face.

I hear the ancient footsteps like the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there, other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
From what I've read recently I found Sherwood Anderson's 'Winesburg, Ohio' an extremely Ne book. It was a great relief after so many Ni authors (almost every even remotely intellectual author seems to be a Ni user! ><), very close to something I could actually write myself. His imagination is directed outwards, not inwards - one can see him sit and come up with ideas as the story goes, not really thinking about where it's all heading. Works by Ni authors tend to have much tighter inner structure.

I find it quite interesting for example with regards to magical realism - G. G. Marquez is, in my opinion, a Ne user; he's all about the narrative, which spreads and spreads and goes on and on, and the story forms as the narrative goes. Contrastively, I believe that Toni Morrison (as in Beloved) is a Ni user, because every part of the story is an inseparable piece placed right where is belongs. Ne "amplifies", Ni "specifies".

Personally, I think that Ne users are better narrators and their books are more enjoyable and 'imaginable' (at least for me), but Ni users' books (well, the good ones;)) contain amazing thoughts, symbols and messages and typically have a better psychology, because every character can present a different point of view but still form an intelligent whole with the others.

I'm not sure if I'm able to come up with specific quotes, but I might try later.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
At the risk of seeming unintelectual.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

DrMcNinja.gif

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the best part about that pic is that in context it makes perfect sense.

Lol all of it makes sense... in context. But when I hit "View first page" on that site and then I saw a goat shoot lasers at a bird... yeah. lol Then all of that random crap happened.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Lol all of it makes sense... in context. But when I hit "View first page" on that site and then I saw a goat shoot lasers at a bird... yeah. lol Then all of that random crap happened.

thats kind of the point of the comic, seemingly pointless and random stuff happens and then near the end it all comes together and makes perfect sense.

Like the raptor picture, Banditos riding raptors are robbing banks all over town, it all turns out to be an evil plot by the local weatherman to get people to watch the weather more.

Like I said, it makes sense in context.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Wuthering Heights :heart: is very Ne - that is, I've noticed that sometimes people without Ne don't get how funny it actually is. Emily Bronte is rumored to have been INFP.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Emily Bronte is rumored to have been INFP.

Is it Ne when I associate Emily Bronte with Money's first picture? ;)

As to literature: How about B.S. Johnson's "Christie Malry's Own Double Entry"?
Isn't all of that (self-aware) playing with conventions stuff very Ne?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, maybe Jeff Noon's books like Vurt and Pollen.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or how about the phone book? Allows you to make all sorts of weird connections :alttongue:

lamp

J. Erin Sweeny / Oblast

The seals wubble out of their crates, one by one, and gaze to the left and the right. The two of them, 1 and 3, head for the water as if they know exactly what to do. The other two are slower. They dip their flippers in first, just like people. But soon they are immersed and their confused heads are rising from the surface of the water like nothing so much as seal heads wiring from the surface of water. They move up and down with the rhythm of the waves as smoothly as if they were attached to pistons. It is impossible to tell if they are happy. Then they are gone.

Gevy watches the sea, waiting for the seals to reappear, then turns to Niko and says something. Niko holds the binoculars for him with one hand and points with the other. For a moment, they could be any ordinary children. This is how Yin would like to remember them.

All favors have ended now and so have all obligations. This is not the way the world works, but then sometimes it is, Yin decides. Not everything is connected. It is a relief, in some ways, to decide this.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5