User Tag List

View Poll Results: Imaginary Friend....?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an S type

2 2.99%
  • Yes and I'm an N type

28 41.79%
  • No and I'm an S type

6 8.96%
  • No and I'm an N type

26 38.81%
  • Not playing but I want to see the answer

5 7.46%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    That's the key phrase.
    N types take time to let go of stuff, I think the reason it persisted was that it was a closetted friend, secrete behaviours are more difficult to get out of the habit off.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Why do I have a feeling that a number of people could be lying to themselves in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why do I have a feeling that a number of people could be lying to themselves in this thread.

world is full of nutties.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    My main imaginary friend was Huntry, who was only a couple of inches high. She had an older (responsible) sister named Candle who slept in my older sister's ear, and she also hung out with T Shirt and Jackie (both boys). I named my doll after my imaginary friend when I was about four.

My aunt also told tales of Elfie, an elf with a bad smoking/swearing habit who alternately lived under our ships bell or else shipped off to my aunt's. He thought my mum was a kill joy, but got sick of my aunt pinching his wings. He was always urging me to take up smoking and offering to teach me how to blow smoke rings. When he was at my aunt's house, he and a couple of other elves (Piper and Whistler) hung out in the chimney and were put to work by the Toothfairy making tooth pillows. I used to regularly get tiny letters in the mail from him and occasionally from Toothy, whom I corresponded with. Around the time that I started to doubt Elfie's existence, I put out a plate of flour with some food in the middle of it. When I woke up in the morning, there were tiny tracks there, and I was quite impressed, as I had had the distinct impression that Elfie and my aunt were the same person.

I love the correspondance with your imaginary friend... LOL V good... your Aunt is really sweet

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh. I never had an imaginary friend...
    ... because I knew imaginary friends weren't real.

It would have been nice, during all the "lonely years" growing up, though ... fudge.
    Awe, you could have a lone of someone elses imaginary freind

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

When I was younger, I never had imaginary friends per se. Instead, I would imagine teaching a room full of kinds or so or play with Bun-Bun and pretend he was alive (think: Calvin and Hobbes).

<--- That is Bun-Bun by the way. He's been through a lot of wear and tear, so go easy on the poor guy.

I used to make fun of people who ACTUALLY thought imaginary friends were real, as I always had a clear distinction in my head what was 'real' and what was 'goofiness to entertain me.' It wasn't the MAKING the friends that was so foreign to me as the inability to distinguish reality from fantasy and then forcing others to accept it.

For example, once when I was 10 or so, I saw a free swing, and very politely asked the girl next to it if it was available. She said, "No my imaginary friend is on it." At first, I thought it was a joke, so I laughed, but she shrieked and said, "YOU'RE SO MEAN; YOU PUSHED SARAH OFF THE SWING!" And I looked at her incredulously and said, "Are you feeling okay? There's no one there!" And she said, "Sarah is on the swing, and I was saving it for her." I muttered something like, "Psychoooo" under my breath, sat on it, and said with some indignation, "Well, then tell Sarah to play somewhere else!" After which time, the girl ran away crying to her friends, and her friends came to me and said something like, "You're a bitch!" And I said something like, "What am I supposed to do? LIE AND PRETEND something is there when there is a swing available???" I was visibly perturbed, and I saw that as a completely unfair way of them to put a stage on so that I wouldn't "invade their space." Well, fuck you and play somewhere else then, if you can't put up with me. Shut it. If you can't deal with the heat, get outta the effing kitchen. There, look, there's the door. Psychos. I'll never forget it.

On the other hand, I had no problem going home and 'studying' by pretending to have a discussion with Hitler. Or by teaching a room of imaginary kids what I had learned. Or by thinking out loud. But it was always clear (and I can't stress this enough) that the imaginary thing in my mind WAS NOT real - that it was simply a projection for a purpose.

Maybe I am a sensor.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Maybe I am a sensor.
    Uh hu.... ST perhaps

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Uh hu.... ST perhaps
    Okay, I'll be honest: I'm going to go out on a limb and claim there are other intuitives out there who also got frustrated at these Namby-Pambies that told you the swing was 'unavailable' because Sarah was sitting on it even though no one was there?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yep, I think I always knew the difference. The only time it got a little blurry was when I inadvertently saw an ad for one of those Chuckie movies and became concerned that one of my dolls would actually start speaking to me. However, I wouldn't have actually felt upset at someone taking up my imaginary friend's space - that's one of the nice things about those sort of people - they go away when you don't need them around and they are there when you want them.

One of my cousins who was around my age had a convenient imaginary friend who was the scapegoat for all kinds of bad behaviour. When he tried blaming yet another bad thing on "Nicholas" one day after a string of other incidents, my aunt spanked him and suggested that he pass that on to Nicholas for her!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    ...One of my cousins who was around my age had a convenient imaginary friend who was the scapegoat for all kinds of bad behaviour. When he tried blaming yet another bad thing on "Nicholas" one day after a string of other incidents, my aunt spanked him and suggested that he pass that on to Nicholas for her!
    Threatening the human pals of imaginary friends can be rather dangerous -- I would advise against it!

Thus I Refute Beelzy
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft