User Tag List

View Poll Results: Imaginary Friend....?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an S type

2 2.99%
  • Yes and I'm an N type

28 41.79%
  • No and I'm an S type

6 8.96%
  • No and I'm an N type

26 38.81%
  • Not playing but I want to see the answer

5 7.46%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I had an imaginary friend once. Then I got bored with the idea.

The only times I ever enjoyed playing pretend games was when I played them with other kids. I was never one to run around and have epic battles on my own.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

i was extremely extraverted child and had no imaginary friends.

MBTI
    ENTP

I've invented lots of imaginary characters, but they were never my "friends". They were just backdrops for my imaginary self to interact. I've lived lots of imaginary adventures in imaginary worlds. Growing up, I retreated from the imaginary worlds I created, first living my adventures through a character representing myself, then abandoning the self-character. Now I'm only the creator of my imaginary worlds, not a citizen of them.

But an 'imaginary friend' like described in psychology? Never.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Nope. I don't know why. I wasn't even aware of the possibility until I found out my older brother had one when he was little. I think it was just pure chance that I didn't. Or maybe it was because I had an older brother when I was prime imaginary friend age and my brother didn't. He was already 4 and 1/2 when I, his only other sibling, was born.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Nope. I don't know why. I wasn't even aware of the possibility until I found out my older brother had one when he was little. I think it was just pure chance that I didn't. Or maybe it was because I had an older brother when I was prime imaginary friend age and my brother didn't. He was already 4 and 1/2 when I, his only other sibling, was born.
    possible. forgot to mention that i'm the only child of older parents. some neighborhood kids around, but not many in my age group. maybe this drove me to invent friends? haha
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by demimondaine View Post
    i played in my imagination a lot, but there was little continuity of character. i do remember having ben franklin and other historical figures over after school and trying to explain technological advances to them in kiddy-layman's terms.
    That is too adorable. Did Ben and co. actually help you process information, or was it just for the fun/company?

and i still sort of.. rehearse (word choice?) conversations in my head with people who actually exist.
    awwwwww so sweet!

i'm not a small child. i'm not super concerned about it, though..
    Don't worry, I still rehearse conversations with people to gather my thoughts too.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

”cataplum!

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I had imaginary friends. I was very good at making my own entertainment and lived in my head a lot, the same as now. My mum always says how easily entertained I was, I could have no toys, or something really simple and be amused for hours. That included having imaginary friends, and also thinking that my stuffed toys would come to life when I was asleep/not looking.

My niece (coming upto 3-years-old) has imginary friends big time. We'll hear her in bed talking to them. It's the most adorable thing. Like the last time I stayed over at my sisters, my niece had woken up in the middle of the night, and I could hear her asking her imaginary friend/s if they wanted to do painting with her. And she was like, "OK, darling, just put your apron on" (there was no paint) and things like that. And she'll just lay there singing nursery rhymes when she can't sleep. It's soo cute. She's very easily entertained too, and seems to be more fantasy-like than my other nephews and nieces. I wonder what her type is. I'm thinking verry likely an NF...

ETA: I still do the rehearsing coversation thing too.
    INFP~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp ~ IEI ~ Libra

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    It's probably because you had an older brother within a five year age range. I am the oldest of my mother's children, and my memories of imaginary friends are in the earliest years of my life, before kindergarten.

MBTI
    INFP

I had a friend called Mario, apparently i threw a tantrum everytime someone sit on him...

Edit: That makes sense since i dont really remember having an imaginary friend, mostly people reminding me, my older sister is 11 years older then me but my younger sister isn't that far apart and she never had one.

I was just reading a bit about this, and most of the sites I've been to say that ANY child can have an imaginary friend for any reason. I figured as much, but none of them will actually say if only children are more likely to or not.

However, here's an interesting thought that may have been what happened with my brother for all I know.

In fact, Taylor points out that parents may recognize the presence of imaginary friends after the birth of a second child, generally a period in which the first or other children in the family receive less parental time. Take George. He "arrived" shortly after I did.
    Imaginary Friends: Any in Your House? | Psychology Today
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson