User Tag List

View Poll Results: Imaginary Friend....?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm an S type

2 2.99%
  • Yes and I'm an N type

28 41.79%
  • No and I'm an S type

6 8.96%
  • No and I'm an N type

26 38.81%
  • Not playing but I want to see the answer

5 7.46%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I've never had an imaginary friend. When I was younger, I would play games of "pretend" with my friends or family, where I would have conversations with mythological figures, or act like a dinosaur or shark, but I did not imagine a person who didn't physically exist. The thought never even really occurred to me.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-20-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: not alone
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Possible early conclusions on poll:

1. Sensors like to screw with the voting by voting as iNtuitives
    2. Sensors ignore threads that have "imaginary" and/or "friends" in the title
    3. Sensors have a fear of polls so will not vote

Quite telling, dontcha think

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I had an imaginary freind.

But then the mean doctors gave me evil pills that made them go away

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Phantonym

I didn't have imaginary friends when growing up. Don't have any at the moment either.

I named some of my stuffed animals and imagined that they had personalities but I could always keep the line between myself and the inanimate objects so that they remained inanimate. They just were, no talking, no action, they were there with the sole purpose of providing comfort by being so nice and fluffy, nothing else.

I had an imaginary enemy when I was about 5, though. Much like the evil monkey in the closet in Family Guy. There was no talking either but I often had a recurring vision of a threatening-looking black cat, not a real one but like out of a badly drawn cartoon, and it scared me when I tried to get to sleep. Haha. It's like a Boogeyman under the bed.

Nevertheless, I voted no in the poll.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I used to enter into wild dialogues with my teddy bear. Only when other people were present though. It wasn't an imaginary friend, more like, me being a comedian.

I saw a lady that knew me as a super young child, under age 2 methink. I apparently used baguettes to mime playing the violin and stuff like that and was 'so full of energy and joy'.

*grins*
    Then I found out about preschool ! *thunder* *doom!*
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post

This makes me feel sad. I used to love that show - I watched it with my nephew.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I didn't have imaginary friends when growing up. Don't have any at the moment either.

I named some of my stuffed animals and imagined that they had personalities but I could always keep the line between myself and the inanimate objects so that they remained inanimate. They just were, no talking, no action, they were there with the sole purpose of providing comfort by being so nice and fluffy, nothing else.
    I did this. But I had lacy Victorian dolls, porcelain figurines and an antique harlequin doll instead of stuffed animals. I entertained the idea that they might possess consciousness and come alive when I wasn't around. I could never be certain that this wasn't the case, so I had to be very careful with them. They had to be comfortably arranged so they wouldn't get sore or have their view of the room obscured. I always had to be very polite to them and treat them all with equal care and respect, in case one suspected that it was unloved and became heartbroken. Or possibly organized a secret plot against me. Treating the harlequin doll appropriately was especially difficult for me because it had a creepy, malformed face that made it difficult to love. I had to be careful not to wince when I looked at it.

All of this is freaking true. What a little nutjob I was. Does it count, though?
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

cataplum!

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Fair point, but if if you were that old then you are just talking with your inner voice, which is perfectly normal. Have you read the Northern Lights books by Philip Pulman? They all ahve daemons which are basically guaridan angel type things....
    The little inner voice was my experience. It was my friend. I never lived a day of my life without it until I was in my early thirties. (a faith crisis). It's still there when I need it but not like before. I miss it very much and I never felt alone as long as it was guiding me. Like I said, it's still there but feels farther away and I'm guessing that would be my doing. i.e. guilt about the crisis and so forth. As long as you're making so much noise either in the heart or the head; it's hard to hear.

This probably makes no sense but it's very hard to explain; even to myself.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

i played in my imagination a lot, but there was little continuity of character. i do remember having ben franklin and other historical figures over after school and trying to explain technological advances to them in kiddy-layman's terms. and i still sort of.. rehearse (word choice?) conversations in my head with people who actually exist.
    awwwwww so sweet!

i'm not a small child. i'm not super concerned about it, though..
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post

I've seen this picture before. I like when people do these kinds of things...just like the explanation behind ed, edd, and eddy. The theory was that all of the kids are dead from separate decades living within the same culdesac in a timeless world. This explained why it was always summer, why there were no parents, why eddy could never get the elusive jawbreaker. Nothing was real.

anywayyy...I will run theoretical conversations/scenarios in my head with real/fictitious people. Not sure if that counts as imaginary friends, though. I figure most people do that. Although it gets a bit consuming when I am far off somewhere with these scenarios and drift out of reality.

yeah, I'm only saying that because I'm N.