• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tots and MBTI

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've just been to a Chrismas do, with a girl friend and her husband and wee boy...

The wee boy is 21 months, and even at 16 months I could type him quite clearly as an INTJ (based on the assumption he may change a lot as he grows). He is the most wilful little boy I've met, very head strong and independant, and at 16 months a very stoic child indeed.

He is now 21 months and is really into doing it himself - his mum is an INTJ his daddy is an ENFP...

How young do you think peoples personalities really form?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard that the I/E preference makes its appearance relatively soon (age 6) but that others develop later, and that a fully matured four-letter code does not develop until adulthood, but I don't know if that is really true or not.

It'll be interesting to hear what the others say.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've heard that the I/E preference makes its appearance relatively soon (age 6) but that others develop later, and that a fully matured four-letter code does not develop until adulthood, but I don't know if that is really true or not.

It'll be interesting to hear what the others say.

I've loads of neices and nephews who change a lot at they grow, I swear this kid was the most INTJ child I've ever met, so serious, so rules based, so non cuddly (but he is getting better)... really unusal - it might just be a fluke and he will morph and grow but it was strong enough that I did a double take...

He is also increadibly sweet too

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Supposedly you can identify 2 out of the four preferences(E/I and J/P) between ages 2-6.
You can add S/N after age 6, and fully type by age 13.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Supposedly you can identify 2 out of the four preferences(E/I and J/P) between ages 2-6.

hmmm now I've got years to wait till I get a real taste of his final character...

sculpting

I am currently watching a herd of little toddlers with this objective in mind.

I honestly dont buy the gradually development MBTI description. It doesnt agree with my and my ENTP friends observations of our and other people's toddlers.

Look at it from the functions rather than the MBTI letters, then try combining with introvert or extrovert.

For instance: My IXTJ todd has always disliked strangers since birth-an I. But he is very dominating, serious, detailed and driving at times, very structured-so a J, and a Te at that. So an IXTJ. What is really cool is to watch the Fi grow in-it hit at about 19 months-suddenly he became cuddly and very sweet on occasion-but only to a limited few he trusts.

Even more neat-his tantrums are the result of his Te structure getting messed up. He freaks out. The way he displays this is very Fi. He sobs and wants to be held close and cuddled, touched. All I have to do is affirm his emotional response-"I realize you are sad because we had to do things a different way. It's okay to be sad" poof Fi, is happy and suddenly a very dominant, independent todd again.

My 13 yo enfp was different as a todd. His tantrums were the result of his NeFi crazies being bottled up. When put in a very SJ enviornment he would melt down in wrathful anger, throwing chairs, screaming, profound anger and frustration. This went on for years. It was Te trying to cope with NeFi being blocked. Poor kid needed a good INTJ around.

So at two they were both already seeking relief with the tertiary functions.

My entp friends kids look at be an ENTP 2.5 yo and a little IXTJ baby girl. The ENTP is funny-he isnt extroverted into people, mostly his surroundings. He never stops moving, exploring, roaming. He also has beautiful Ne eyes.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tink the finer poitns of character is defined later, but root character is very young, but I'm really open to see and look...

I look at my neices and nephews and most of them are very similar to how they were when veyr little.

But will wait and see if this wee boy turns out like is mum or his dad.... I hope his daddy comes out, he may be too INTJ... and Fness would warm him up a bit

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've been a J as long as I can remember.
I was a weird kind of I, in that I didn't find myself to be introverted.
Maybe I should have known there a difference between being headstrong and being extroverted.

I've been a T for awhile, but I always thought I was an F (Because every time I did get emotional, I felt so melodramatic.)
I think it took me the longest to figure out S/N

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's true Te doms just need a cuddle.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well actually I've heard that by age 13 you can identify people based on their first function, so I_FP, I_TP, IN_J, IS_J, E_TJ, E_FJ, EN_P, ES_P.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember when I was a kid, I thought I was an extrovert. Looking back, I was really an Introverted Intuitive with the kinds of stuff I imagined and the games I played. I pretty much lived in my own world and still do. I was a lot more emotional as a child, cried easily, was a bit hot tempered. I've always been a nerd though. Now I've gotten a bit stoic in my "old" age.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I/E you can tell in infancy, if it is on the high end of either end of the spectrum.

The rest, it depends.

I've never met an INTJ mom before. What's she like?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've never met an INTJ mom before. What's she like?

She is by nature someone who totally freaks at change, so it's been interesting to see her. I dont beleive she is fully comfortable with it, but it's got easy for her. Havign her and an INTJ and the wee one as one too... it's like double remotness. Fortunately daddys is ENFP... so lots fo snuggle warmth. The wee one didnt' get in the least bit cuddly until he was 15 months (not that I saw him much that first year), but he was quite independant.

Reading this thread makes me feel very F typed... I guess that was the last of my functions to reall root in and I ahve a fair old amount of Fness in me still

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, looking back I've always clearly been an INFP. Looking back it's obvious to me from as early as I can remember (like 4ish)

And I have 7 nephews and nieces. I can say this:

One of my nieces (3) expresses NF a lot. I'm thinking *NFP for sure. I'd lean more against INFP.
One of my nephews (8) is clearly I and F.
One of my other nephews (6) comes across ESFP.
Another nephew (10) totally NT.
Another nephew (10) shows IFP.
My other niece (5) F.
My youngest niece is only a year old, and I can't type her, I think that's too young - at least for me to type personally.

So, I do think little ones can be typed, but I think there's a big possibility of it changing too.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
So, I do think little ones can be typed, but I think there's a big possibility of it changing too.

Yea I agree, it not like you will treat diffierently because you type and kids change so much too.... but you cna help them work at stuff they will struggle at and get motivated to fix them