User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Facets of Fi

Arrow Facets of Fi

Do FPs (primary Fi) define Fi much differently than TJs (inferior Fi)?

I could be wrong here, because I have not actually read a description of Fi in a while, but Fi as described by Authority seems to be overly morality-centric.

When I talk about Fi I am more inclined to talk about ephemeral artsy shit and moods. Stuff like how the weather is making me feel and how a certain artist is really hitting the spot with a certain piece of work.

INTJs (tertiary Fi), for example, seem more likely to verbalize the morality side of Fi. Stuff like mating with an equal and issues of compromised character integrity.

Of course, it is not totally one-sided: sometimes INTJs talk about how they like the lighting in the parking lot at night and I talk about 'morality', but generally I seem to be in tune with a different (part of) Fi than INTJs are.

The forest and the trees:
    So maybe somebody is missing the big picture. Take me and the INTJ, and jump to Te now (ENFP has tertiary Te). I am probably more organized than our example INTJ of similar age. Organization and systemization is a very Te thing (I think). But how can I be more 'Te' than an INTJ? One conclusion is that I made a logical error somewhere and misappropriated my time; I was organizing while the INTJ was doing something more important. So why am I more organized than someone with 'greater' Te? Do people with inferior functions express those functions differently than people who possess those specific primary functions (tertiary Fi versus auxilary Fi; tertiary Te versus auxilary Te)?

I have started two topics here. But let us talk about Fi first. Or not.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah Fi kind of just pops up once in a while and says "This is bad!" and so we try to Te something about it. Then it goes away.

Otherwise no weather, artsy, mood junk for me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Fi for me is like this:

Positive - I love it! It's like me! I will protect it and champion it!

or

Negative - It disgusts me! It's of low stock! Exterminate it.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I do very little moralising or "ephemeral artsy shit and moods". Tertiary Fi simply improves my ability to notice people moods/emotional needs and make allowances for them when I act. Or just exploit them, depending on how much I like the person in question. It doesn't necessarily make me very sympathetic towards those needs - i just know they exist. I'd hardly decribe myself as a master manipulator, nor especially empathic, but I do have my moments of insight.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post

Exterminate it.
    ROARRRRRRRRRRRRR

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Fi is simply the source of internal reactions that Ni expands upon, and then passes to Te for classification/execution/elimination.

Fi can be a source of inspiration, a catalyst, or an alarm all in an average day for me.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INTJ

I like Kra.
    wails from the crypt.

edit - amusingly, I had a feeling that wherever this thread got posted, it would be moved. I don't know what it is with this forum, but about half the time I have problems deciding which location is appropriate to post various things.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I would be extremely interested in knowing how NTJs experience their Fi.

In response to the OP, I would say that I do both, and they're intrinsic parts of my personality. My Fi is very artistic/emotional but also can be equally morality-critic, as you have stated that your INTJ friend does. I think of Te as a vitally important function to develop in regards to Fi in NFPs (sorry I'm not trying to exclude Sensors, I'm just touching on what I relate to) so that our ideals match up a little more with what is practical in the real world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    Take me and the INTJ, and jump to Te now (ENFP has tertiary Te). I am probably more organized than our example INTJ of similar age. Organization and systemization is a very Te thing (I think). But how can I be more 'Te' than an INTJ? One conclusion is that I made a logical error somewhere and misappropriated my time; I was organizing while the INTJ was doing something more important. So why am I more organized than someone with 'greater' Te? Do people with inferior functions express those functions differently than people who possess those specific primary functions (tertiary Fi versus auxilary Fi; tertiary Te versus auxilary Te)?
    The tertiary function is said to "inflate" itself. It is vulnerable and tries to prove itself, where the dom. and aux. are more mature and likely do not have to prove themselves as much. So that is why you might seem more organized than a TJ, and likewise, their Fi will come off differently than yours.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas