User Tag List

Thread: Reading & MBTI

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Reading & MBTI

Do ESxx types find it harder to sustain their attention on a book for a period of time than the other types? What is the types' relationship to reading? WHich type is the best reader?
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I am impatient and have a hard time concentrating on reading unless I'm interacting with the text in some way: I force myself to take notes when I need to learn something. I read to learn, but I almost never read recreationally. It's not a learning disorder thing, because my sister (INFP) has dyslexia and a very limited attention span as well, but still loves to read.

I can't remember if I've ever read a novel I wasn't forced to or, in a couple of instances, because I made myself, under the impression that it was a character building activity. I know that this is sacrilege for an introverted intuitive to admit, but there it is. It does seem like 99.9% of INFPs like to read, though.

*braces for tomatoes*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I am impatient and have a hard time concentrating on reading unless I'm interacting with the text in some way: I force myself to take notes when I need to learn something. I read to learn, but I almost never read recreationally. It's not a learning disorder thing, because my sister (INFP) has dyslexia and a very limited attention span as well, but still loves to read.

I can't remember if I've ever read a novel I wasn't forced to or, in a couple of instances, because I made myself, under the impression that it was a character building activity. I know that this is sacrilege for an introverted intuitive to admit, but there it is. It does seem like 99.9% of INFPs like to read, though.

*braces for tomatoes*
    Different from me at least. I've always loved to read.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Different from me at least. I've always loved to read.
    That's good, because I still think it builds character, just not mine. What do you read?

I wish I didn't dislike it so much. It's almost impossible for looking at words on a page to help my understanding of ANYTHING. It seems that the only way I can retain even the most basic information or glean the most insignificant insight from a text is by writing furiously in the margins and summarizing what I learn afterwards. It's so frustrating. :steam:

And the rest of civilized, well educated society looks down on people who don't read recreationally. I don't really blame them, but it's pretty impossible to try to explain this to most of them without getting scoffed at.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

F'sure. I just really enjoy reading. Classic literature is my favourite, but I'll read all sorts. I also like history.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I love history. Specifics? Do you have certain eras you enjoy reading about? Nations? Topics?

Anyway, I may have overreacted there a bit. I scored a 720 on my verbal GRE, so my reading comprehension can't be that bad. I just have a hard time focusing and for whatever reason sitting down with a 'good book' is excrutiating rather than enjoyable. Maybe I feel like I'm not learning anything when I'm just passively reading the words. Ugh. Sorry about the Fi-splosion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like economic history (Niall Ferguson) and social history (Andrew Marr) the most.
    4w5 sp