• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Improving Work Situation for an INFJ?

laudanum225

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
how could an INFJ improve work situation in a surrounding of all E, many S and T types?

its a friendly surrounding, but somewhat i (INFJ female, tendency towards P) feel a wee bit isolated. I heard about S-N barrier, but how can it be overcome?

it may also have to do with co workers being mainly male, and I fear coming off as boring because I rather observe than go into throw for attention. -> it seems at times like a circus in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why not just post in the "MBTI and other personality matrices" subforum?
This will probably be deleted, moved or merged.

Anyway, i'll try to help. I do have a hard time with this, myself, though...

One thing that you'll have to do is adapt, because they aren't going to do that.
Be thorough, as much as you can. Find common ground that you can talk about.
Light subjects... Coffee room conversations should be kept light.
If they don't have an interest in poems, your feelings etc, don't bring it up.
Wittiness is usually appreciated as long as it isn't at someones' cost.

May I ask if you are also lowest on the pecking order?
As in "rookie" etc.
That can be troublesome, but it'll pass.
Do a good job, and try being a little forward. Don't worry too much.

What kind of workplace is it?

Snow Turtle

My honest recommendation is just to be yourself and push the boundaries of the people around you. Who knows? You might be pleasantly surprised by how willing people are to exploring the world with you.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I would say when you're in those situations, just fake it. Fake a little more E, S, and T, and see how you feel when you do that. If it's too taxing, then why do you even need to change? Do you feel uncomfortable in those situations - if so, why?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No one's gonna read this unless you change the title.

But I'd suggest talking to them like normal people. They're extroverts, so they'll initiate. You'll probably have more issues with the ESTPs than ESTJs, and you'll probably get along just fine with the ESTJs. But you might be surprised.

I mean really if you just wanna start a conversation... just talk to them. Type shouldn't get in the way of doing that. I get along just fine with ENTs... there is no problem. :thinking: They've probably observed that you don't want to participate in their antics... so I wouldn't worry much about that, since they'll notice anyway.

If you're gonna ask the sensors for advice, we need more details. :yes: Since I don't have any idea what to tell you.

Shaggy

MBTI Type
INfJ
It seems to me that ST males value efficiency. Evaluate the situation of what you have control of and what you do not. The particular work flow you do have control of, try to make it run as efficiently as possible. You'll gain attention and respect. Once you have there attention, don't be affraid to speak your mind and utilize your intuition. I hope this helps.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I kind of know how you feel in the fact that I'm the only guy in my office.

I like Shaggy's advice above. Pick areas that you are strong in and really show you are an effective worker.

I would say try and find out what they like to talk about. Try to find a subject that you both can enjoy conversing. Do you guys have similar interests? (Sports, movies, dancing, etc) This can be super hard as they are STs and you are an NF. I'll admit I really don't know how to effectively pass this barrier.

When they start conversing with you more, try to spoon feed your intuition. Slow and steady wins the race.

Well I hope this helps you out.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why not just post in the "MBTI and other personality matrices" subforum?
This will probably be deleted, moved or merged.

Indeed. Merged and moved to MBTI.

laudanum225

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
well.. i dunno, i guess i will elaborate about the work situation:

i am pretty sure that most of the ppl here are es-p. they are 90% guys, age range 23- 30, kind of like a wolf pack.
I am about the only female and from really artsy upbringing.

Basically I feel totally left out, having difficulties to discuss their fav topics (soccer, women), and I have to include, I am totally shy. cant start conversations too well imo, let alone keep conversation going (one of them already asked me "if i wasnt the small talk kind", because apparently i have "awkward" written on my forehead.

whenever i start talking, i feel like noone can really follow my thoughts, or it is not very interesting to them. our sense of humor frequently diverges, usually no one understood whenever i first tried to make jokes. is this a personality clash thing? Sorry, I am not much in the topic yet.

I basically feel like a weird insect or something.
a few weeks i had a big fall out with one of them, which doesnt really help cuz he is friends with a lot of the ppl here.
I think all of them (apart see above guy) are kinda nice, though, and actually would like to have a more friendly, less distanced connection.

any advice how to improve situation?
kinda worried.

:cry: