• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and Enneagram

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’ve been trying to grasp some understanding of the similarities/differences between MBTI and the Enneagram, and found this on an ‘MBTI and Enneagram’ page:

Why do we need another typology system, particularly one built on a system of 9 types? The hypothesis which seems to fit the two systems is that each system measures a different part of our mental apparatus which Jung calls the psyche. MBTI appears to be concerned with the conscious, cognitive part of the psyche, while the Enneagram is focused on unconscious, motivating forces in the depths of the psyche, perhaps associated with its archetypal structure. The two systems come at the psyche in two contrasting ways.

While I’ve noticed that the enneagram seems to consistently account for personality differences that fly under MBTI radar (and vice versa), I’m not seeing the difference as being so much conscious/unconscious per se. I’m not seeing it yet, anyway.

I’m wondering if anyone else has thoughts/opinions about the above quote, or about the MBTI/Enneagram contrast in general.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A while ago, somebody, possibly Poriferan or Evan, IIRC did a thread mapping Enneagram to the inferior function (which to many is the "shadow" realm of the unconscious).