• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality traits most valued in your country?

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
I hope this is in the right subforum.

Something I have been thinking about lately is the fact that certain countries or cultures will, as a general trend, tend to value certain personality traits over others. (In fact, I believe there was a book written regarding this topic, but I haven't read it.) In terms of MBTI functions, which traits do you think your country or culture prefers? I have heard it said that in the United States, or even the west generally, ESTJ traits are favored (I have primarily heard this said by INFPs, the ESTJs' MBTI opposite). I kind of think this is correct.

As far as MBTI goes, one of the great things about it is that there is really no type that is best or worst; they are just diverse and equally good/valuable. However, if your society favors the traits of a type very different from yours, I think a very real effect is that you may be looked at as "flawed", when in fact that is only a cultural perception and not an objective reality.

Do those who are of a type whose traits are favored in any given culture tend to have an "easier" time existing in that culture? (Yes, I realize this is an inherently imprecise sort of question, given that there is no objective measure of whether one person's experiences are easier or harder than another person's, but I still think a discussion could be fruitful.)

autumn

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I think XSTPs are favoured in Australian popular culture, so long as the P is fairly balanced. You have either the lovable ESTP larrikin or the resourceful, competent, man-of-few-words ISTP. Next in line would be INTJ.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think that ESTJ is the favored type for men, and ESFJ is the favored for women. IS_J's would be a close second, as would EN_J's. IN_J's are the least understood J's, and our culture is fairly hostile to P's in general, especially E__P's. I__P's have it a little better, but not much.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can say there's a distinction even amongst the subculture of being Southern. ESTP/ESTJ for the men. ISTJ/ISFJ for the women. Being an F male isn't generally acceptable, with the exception of an ISFJ male.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think XSTPs are favoured in Australian popular culture, so long as the P is fairly balanced. You have either the lovable ESTP larrikin or the resourceful, competent, man-of-few-words ISTP. Next in line would be INTJ.

maybe I should move to Australia! (or the old west!)

I'd definitley have to say that Extroversion and Judging are valued more highly in the US..... *sigh*

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Something I have been thinking about lately is the fact that certain countries or cultures will, as a general trend, tend to value certain personality traits over others. (In fact, I believe there was a book written regarding this topic, but I haven't read it.)

You've probably heard of Hofstede's work on culture. Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Small vs. Large Power Distance - the extent to which the less powerful members of institutions and organizations expect and accept that power is distributed unequally. Small power distance (e.g. Austria, Denmark) expect and accept power relations that are more consultative or democratic. People relate to one another more as equals regardless of formal positions. Subordinates are more comfortable with and demand the right to contribute to and critique the decision making of those in power. In large power distance countries (e.g. China) less powerful accept power relations that are more autocratic and paternalistic. Subordinates acknowledge the power of others simply based on where they are situated in certain formal, hierarchical positions. As such the Power Distance Index Hofstede defines does not reflect an objective difference in power distribution but rather the way people perceive power differences. (...)

Individualism vs. collectivism - individualism is contrasted with collectivism, and refers to the extent to which people are expected to stand up for themselves and to choose their own affiliations, or alternatively act predominantly as a member of a life-long group or organisation. Latin American cultures rank among the lowest in this category, while the U.S.A. is one of the most individualistic cultures.

Masculinity vs. femininity - refers to the value placed on traditionally male or female values (as understood in most Western cultures). So called 'masculine' cultures value competitiveness, assertiveness, ambition, and the accumulation of wealth and material possessions, whereas feminine cultures place more value on relationships and quality of life. Japan is considered by Hofstede to be the most "masculine" culture, Sweden the most "feminine." Anglo cultures are moderately masculine. (...)

Uncertainty avoidance - reflects the extent to which members of a society attempt to cope with anxiety by minimizing uncertainty. Cultures that scored high in uncertainty avoidance prefer rules (e.g. about religion and food) and structured circumstances, and employees tend to remain longer with their present employer. Mediterranean cultures and Japan rank the highest in this category.

Long vs. short term orientation - describes a society's "time horizon," or the importance attached to the future versus the past and present. In long term oriented societies, pragmatism, thrift and perseverance are valued more; in short term oriented societies, normative statements, respect for tradition and reciprocation of gifts and favors are valued more. China and Japan and the Asian tigers score especially high here, with Western nations scoring rather low and many of the less developed nations very low; China scored highest and Pakistan lowest.

Keep in mind that the work has been widely criticized. It's actually sort of like MBTI; it resonates with people, but science does not approve. :dry: ;)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Finland: this is the consensus with age-independent groups, young people (like me) might have different values. I am not stating my own values in here. Here's some overlap and some contradictions. Also if you disagree with my interpretations, then put the emphasis on the traits mentioned (like openness), and try to re-think the label I put for it in a new way.

-being a common man/common woman (S, openness-)
-taking advantage of all the new developments (openness+, NT, SP)
-developing the society (conscientiousness+, N, openness+)
-challenging the society (agreeableness-, openness+)
-modesty (I, agreeableness+)
-accomplished (independet of typology; even quirky types are appreciated once it is known that they are accomplished.)
-humble (agreeableness+)
-unemotionality (T, neuroticisms-)
-hard-working (conscientiousness+)
-caring for the society (agreeableness+)
-stable, staying the same (J, neuroticism-)
-low-abiding (agreeableness+)
-matter-of-fact (S, T)
-perserverance (STJ kind)
-challenging the common code of silence (E)
-daring to show emotion (F, really minority groups advocate this).

There are more controverses in some aspects of personality than the other. T is most agreed upon, others are less.

All put together, it becomes ISTJ, biased by the strength of each preference as interpreted from society.

As for FFM model, we think of ourselves as so independent and challinging in our thinking that I think that many people strive to be less agreeable than the people on average, although not in an anti-social manner, but as in to present an opposing view for the improvent of society, so that no point of view goes unseen. So We have a FFM model ideal of one with low extraversion, high conscientiousness, low to average agreeableness, low neuroticism and average to high openness.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that France is very Ne friendly... I always get along better with the French than with the English, and better with the English than Americans (generally, though I know a few real diamonds from NY and Seattle, and one gem from Texas).

I'd be interested to hear from other people who, like me, are sorta 'bi-cultural'.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
While I live in America, my family is from Sicily & has retained the traditional culture (not to mention the Roman Catholicism). In my family, an ISFJ or ISTJ woman is preferred. In fact, I was raised to cook, clean, and essentially fulfill the woman's duty to the men & children (and not complain about it!). I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's what's expected of the women in the family when we all get together & I think my family would cause a riot if I didn't participate in it.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The US in general seems to have a ESTP persona, IMO. Minnesotans in general have an ISFJ ("Minnesota Nice" and all that) persona IMO

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
I think that ESTJ is the favored type for men, and ESFJ is the favored for women. IS_J's would be a close second, as would EN_J's. IN_J's are the least understood J's, and our culture is fairly hostile to P's in general, especially E__P's. I__P's have it a little better, but not much.

I would tend to agree with you, for the most part. I am wondering why I__Ps would seem to have it better than E__Ps, though. Is it because the I__Ps are quieter about it? ;) I can imagine that some I__Ps might have a hard time if extroversion is strongly encouraged, though, which is why I am curious.

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
The US in general seems to have a ESTP persona, IMO. Minnesotans in general have an ISFJ ("Minnesota Nice" and all that) persona IMO

Hmm, now that I think about this, I wonder if it's fair to say that the U.S. "at play" (our entertainment, etc.) seems to be more ESTP, while our work ethic seems more xSTJ? I wonder if our international reputation is more SJ or SP.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I hope this is in the right subforum.

Something I have been thinking about lately is the fact that certain countries or cultures will, as a general trend, tend to value certain personality traits over others. (In fact, I believe there was a book written regarding this topic, but I haven't read it.) In terms of MBTI functions, which traits do you think your country or culture prefers? I have heard it said that in the United States, or even the west generally, ESTJ traits are favored (I have primarily heard this said by INFPs, the ESTJs' MBTI opposite). I kind of think this is correct.

As far as MBTI goes, one of the great things about it is that there is really no type that is best or worst; they are just diverse and equally good/valuable. However, if your society favors the traits of a type very different from yours, I think a very real effect is that you may be looked at as "flawed", when in fact that is only a cultural perception and not an objective reality.

Do those who are of a type whose traits are favored in any given culture tend to have an "easier" time existing in that culture? (Yes, I realize this is an inherently imprecise sort of question, given that there is no objective measure of whether one person's experiences are easier or harder than another person's, but I still think a discussion could be fruitful.)

autumn
ISTJ in Finland.

ISTJ

Do not speak unless you are drunk
Be busy with your leaf blower
Walk with sticks
Beat the carpets
Keep the motor running
Mow the lawn to no end
See every spectacle of sport
Polish your guns and rifles every day
When you eat out forget the tip
Hate every foreigner
Forget to shower
Soap is for the pansy
Crouch, cringe, bow, stoop, kneel, dangle.. in the presence of every authority

snegledmaca

ISFP here. Or whatever type that has, do as little work as possible, try to get somebody else to do your work for you, get a job at your cusin's company, don't worry about the future, have fun with friends, avoid stress, generally avoid work and try to have as much fun as possible and be careless.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Finland: this is the consensus with age-independent groups, young people (like me) might have different values. I am not stating my own values in here. Here's some overlap and some contradictions. Also if you disagree with my interpretations, then put the emphasis on the traits mentioned (like openness), and try to re-think the label I put for it in a new way.

-being a common man/common woman (S, openness-)
-taking advantage of all the new developments (openness+, NT, SP)
-developing the society (conscientiousness+, N, openness+)
-challenging the society (agreeableness-, openness+)
-modesty (I, agreeableness+)
-accomplished (independet of typology; even quirky types are appreciated once it is known that they are accomplished.)
-humble (agreeableness+)
-unemotionality (T, neuroticisms-)
-hard-working (conscientiousness+)
-caring for the society (agreeableness+)
-stable, staying the same (J, neuroticism-)
-low-abiding (agreeableness+)
-matter-of-fact (S, T)
-perserverance (STJ kind)
-challenging the common code of silence (E)
-daring to show emotion (F, really minority groups advocate this).

There are more controverses in some aspects of personality than the other. T is most agreed upon, others are less.

All put together, it becomes ISTJ, biased by the strength of each preference as interpreted from society.

As for FFM model, we think of ourselves as so independent and challinging in our thinking that I think that many people strive to be less agreeable than the people on average, although not in an anti-social manner, but as in to present an opposing view for the improvent of society, so that no point of view goes unseen. So We have a FFM model ideal of one with low extraversion, high conscientiousness, low to average agreeableness, low neuroticism and average to high openness.
Agreement is the best medicine ever.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ISTJ in Finland.
Ah that explains why you seem such an English gent. England is most definitely ISTJ. Tight down to the well groomed little bowler hat which serves no useful purpose at all but was somehow decided upon as the standard.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah that explains why you seem such an English gent. England is most definitely ISTJ. Tight down to the well groomed little bowler hat which serves no useful purpose at all but was somehow decided upon as the standard.
Ah this explains why we are such good friends.

ps646566

MBTI Type
INTJ

That used to be the case in England, and probably is among some older people. But among the under 45's I think that ESFX is much more acceptable.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That used to be the case in England, and probably is among some older people. But among the under 45's I think that ESFX is much more acceptable.
Okay I fail totally in seeing how you arrived at this conclusion. Could you illuminate me?