User Tag List

12 Last

your resident asshole

Default Interaction styles

Are the interaction styles (in-charge, behind-the-scenes, chart-the-course, get things going) supposed to be in work situations? I feel like when I read the descriptions, I'm reading as if there's some sort of group project going on. Is there another way I could be looking at this?

No, they apply to all situations when dealing with others. It doesn't mean you're always interacting in one style all the time, just that there's one you're most "comfortable" with (similar to function/type preference). People often learn to develop different styles at work, for example, where your "natural" approach might not be suitable for any number of reasons.
    Hello

your resident asshole

Ugh. I have trouble with this. Would someone mind trying to describe these to me in a way that makes it sound less related to working on some type of a project?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

the styles you speak of are geared towards a work atmoshpere imho. maybe if these same were named something different in other situations they might generalize more. the language is important. i mean aren't you saying chart the course is someone who takes off in a sailboat on the high seas? or behind the scenes means you do costumes in a production of theater? and in charge means you are a father of many children with a sick wife? or get things going means you are a cattle herder?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

it's not just a work environment

like, when behind the scenes people interact with others they are more likely to wait to be approached, or to avoid being the center of attention

get things going people love to be the center of attention, and approach others and start conversations

in charge people tend to be directive, and sometimes controlling - they literally take charge

I don't know about chart-the-course, I guess they are the planners who are always trying to organize everybody

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Ugh. I have trouble with this. Would someone mind trying to describe these to me in a way that makes it sound less related to working on some type of a project?
    I dunno, just replace the word "project" with some other activity.
    Hello

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't know about chart-the-course, I guess they are the planners who are always trying to organize everybody
    That can't be right. ISTP is CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I dunno, just replace the word "project" with some other activity.
    Ummm. What about a group of friends going to a restaurant for example? What would happen then?

I realize this may annoy you, but I work best with examples. :/

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    That can't be right. ISTP is CTC.

Ummm. What about a group of friends going to a restaurant for example? What would happen then?
    Well, let's see ...

• Those with an "In-Charge" style will likely be the most proactive in getting a good table, ensuring everyone has decided on what they want to eat, and especially determining who will be paying at the end of the meal.
    • "Get-Things-Going" types might be most interested in getting everyone interacting, maybe by starting conversations with multiple people and getting them to talk to each other on subjects they share an interest in.
    • "Chart-The-Course" types might act similarly to "In-Charge" types, but with a more restrained and patient style (e.g. instead of calling a waiter over as soon as possible, they might first wait for someone to start serving them).
    • Similarly, "Behind-The-Scenes" types might be similar to "Get-Things-Going" types, but with a more restrained and patient style (e.g. waiting for someone else to start a conversation with them).
    Hello

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Interaction Styles are similar to the Keirseyan temperament groups, and both are matched to the ancient four temperaments.
    They both will figure in people's dealings anywhere, but Interaction Style will be more focused on person-to-person skills, while Keirsey's temperaments are more about leadership and action. So each type is a combination of a social skills temperament with a leadership skills temperament. The generic terms for both groups are affective and conative, respectively.

The basic factors for them are:
    GtG extraverted, informing
    IC extraverted, directing
    BtS introverted, informing
    CtC introverted, directing

Informing/directing is the old people/task factor that tells you which the person will respond to better.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm ressurecting this thread because I have a question about interaction styles - I know I am not behind the scenes, usually, though I guess I can be sometimes I know that in a work or school environment I am more likely to interact and talk and "get things going" and I do have that communication style.

But what if I'm both informing and directing? Like, if I'm relaxed I'm probably more likely to be informing, but I have a definite directing side to my personality if I am stressed or afraid where I will just bluntly tell people to do things. Like one time my mom was talking on her phone upset and driving on the freeway and it scared me because she needed to focus on driving and I was like "Get off of the phone now!" This is not something I do every day, but it's also not an isolated incident either. In some situations if I feel someone has to take charge, I will. I can be bossy. (And lest you think I was being mean or insensitive to my mom, no, she was being hysterical and histrionic about something stupid and she does this all of the time because she's bat shit crazy, and there were other people in the car besides me and her, including a small child.)

I don't really like to guide people towards a goal, though, I really don't think I'm an In Charge person. That seems very tiring. I don't like being in charge, but I have some sort of instinct to do so in certain situations just like out of nowhere.

Could this just be tertiary Te, or my ISTJ shadow or something?