• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interaction styles

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Are the interaction styles (in-charge, behind-the-scenes, chart-the-course, get things going) supposed to be in work situations? I feel like when I read the descriptions, I'm reading as if there's some sort of group project going on. Is there another way I could be looking at this?

VagrantFarce

No, they apply to all situations when dealing with others. It doesn't mean you're always interacting in one style all the time, just that there's one you're most "comfortable" with (similar to function/type preference). People often learn to develop different styles at work, for example, where your "natural" approach might not be suitable for any number of reasons.

/DG/

Ugh. I have trouble with this. Would someone mind trying to describe these to me in a way that makes it sound less related to working on some type of a project?

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
the styles you speak of are geared towards a work atmoshpere imho. maybe if these same were named something different in other situations they might generalize more. the language is important. i mean aren't you saying chart the course is someone who takes off in a sailboat on the high seas? or behind the scenes means you do costumes in a production of theater? and in charge means you are a father of many children with a sick wife? or get things going means you are a cattle herder?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
it's not just a work environment

like, when behind the scenes people interact with others they are more likely to wait to be approached, or to avoid being the center of attention

get things going people love to be the center of attention, and approach others and start conversations

in charge people tend to be directive, and sometimes controlling - they literally take charge

I don't know about chart-the-course, I guess they are the planners who are always trying to organize everybody

VagrantFarce

Ugh. I have trouble with this. Would someone mind trying to describe these to me in a way that makes it sound less related to working on some type of a project?

I dunno, just replace the word "project" with some other activity. :)

/DG/

I don't know about chart-the-course, I guess they are the planners who are always trying to organize everybody
That can't be right. ISTP is CTC.

I dunno, just replace the word "project" with some other activity. :)

Ummm. What about a group of friends going to a restaurant for example? What would happen then?

I realize this may annoy you, but I work best with examples. :/

VagrantFarce

That can't be right. ISTP is CTC.

Ummm. What about a group of friends going to a restaurant for example? What would happen then?

Well, let's see ...

• Those with an "In-Charge" style will likely be the most proactive in getting a good table, ensuring everyone has decided on what they want to eat, and especially determining who will be paying at the end of the meal.
  • "Get-Things-Going" types might be most interested in getting everyone interacting, maybe by starting conversations with multiple people and getting them to talk to each other on subjects they share an interest in.
  • "Chart-The-Course" types might act similarly to "In-Charge" types, but with a more restrained and patient style (e.g. instead of calling a waiter over as soon as possible, they might first wait for someone to start serving them).
  • Similarly, "Behind-The-Scenes" types might be similar to "Get-Things-Going" types, but with a more restrained and patient style (e.g. waiting for someone else to start a conversation with them).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interaction Styles are similar to the Keirseyan temperament groups, and both are matched to the ancient four temperaments.
They both will figure in people's dealings anywhere, but Interaction Style will be more focused on person-to-person skills, while Keirsey's temperaments are more about leadership and action. So each type is a combination of a social skills temperament with a leadership skills temperament. The generic terms for both groups are affective and conative, respectively.

The basic factors for them are:
GtG extraverted, informing
IC extraverted, directing
BtS introverted, informing
CtC introverted, directing

Informing/directing is the old people/task factor that tells you which the person will respond to better.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm ressurecting this thread because I have a question about interaction styles - I know I am not behind the scenes, usually, though I guess I can be sometimes I know that in a work or school environment I am more likely to interact and talk and "get things going" and I do have that communication style.

But what if I'm both informing and directing? Like, if I'm relaxed I'm probably more likely to be informing, but I have a definite directing side to my personality if I am stressed or afraid where I will just bluntly tell people to do things. Like one time my mom was talking on her phone upset and driving on the freeway and it scared me because she needed to focus on driving and I was like "Get off of the phone now!" This is not something I do every day, but it's also not an isolated incident either. In some situations if I feel someone has to take charge, I will. I can be bossy. (And lest you think I was being mean or insensitive to my mom, no, she was being hysterical and histrionic about something stupid and she does this all of the time because she's bat shit crazy, and there were other people in the car besides me and her, including a small child.)

I don't really like to guide people towards a goal, though, I really don't think I'm an In Charge person. That seems very tiring. I don't like being in charge, but I have some sort of instinct to do so in certain situations just like out of nowhere.

Could this just be tertiary Te, or my ISTJ shadow or something?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm ressurecting this thread because I have a question about interaction styles - I know I am not behind the scenes, usually, though I guess I can be sometimes I know that in a work or school environment I am more likely to interact and talk and "get things going" and I do have that communication style.

But what if I'm both informing and directing? Like, if I'm relaxed I'm probably more likely to be informing, but I have a definite directing side to my personality if I am stressed or afraid where I will just bluntly tell people to do things. Like one time my mom was talking on her phone upset and driving on the freeway and it scared me because she needed to focus on driving and I was like "Get off of the phone now!" This is not something I do every day, but it's also not an isolated incident either. In some situations if I feel someone has to take charge, I will. I can be bossy. (And lest you think I was being mean or insensitive to my mom, no, she was being hysterical and histrionic about something stupid and she does this all of the time because she's bat shit crazy, and there were other people in the car besides me and her, including a small child.)

I don't really like to guide people towards a goal, though, I really don't think I'm an In Charge person. That seems very tiring. I don't like being in charge, but I have some sort of instinct to do so in certain situations just like out of nowhere.

Could this just be tertiary Te, or my ISTJ shadow or something?

I think that fits well with the description of ENFP as 'troubleshooters'. It's directive Te stepping up when necessary, but not a long term 'J' thing. It also gives people the push to act when necessary for sake of Fi values.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Directing and Informing cannot be taken too literally. Everyone directs or gives orders at times. You go by what you normally are, not when "really stressed".
What that dimension is really identifying is people vs task focus. Those who are people-focused will tend to soften their communication into what is being called "informing".

Last edited:

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Interaction Styles are similar to the Keirseyan temperament groups, and both are matched to the ancient four temperaments.
They both will figure in people's dealings anywhere, but Interaction Style will be more focused on person-to-person skills, while Keirsey's temperaments are more about leadership and action. So each type is a combination of a social skills temperament with a leadership skills temperament. The generic terms for both groups are affective and conative, respectively.

The basic factors for them are:
GtG extraverted, informing
IC extraverted, directing
BtS introverted, informing
CtC introverted, directing

Informing/directing is the old people/task factor that tells you which the person will respond to better.

They were actually developed as sort of an answer to DISC that would still allow people to go deeply into a theory after a very usable intro through the interaction styles. Whereas DISC...it's sorta all over, no more to it, after a few hours...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, the Social Styles. And all DiSc and Social Styles really are are again the ancient temperaments with new names.