• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types Under Stress

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, so i'm acting like it hasn't.

however, since a fellow ENTP has found himself in a very stressful situation as of late, i wanted to see if this resonates and/or helps him as it did me at one point. while researching it, i found it includes information about ALL types, so i wanted to share.

here's the site.

here's mine, and i found it to be horrific in its truth, thus helpful of course.

ENTP

ENTPs value their ability to use imagination and innovation to deal with problems. Trusting in their ingenuity to get them out of trouble, they often neglect to prepare sufficiently for any given situation. This characteristic, combined with their tendency to underestimate the time needed to complete a project, may cause the ENTP to become over-extended, and to work frequently beyond expected time limits. Complicating this situation is their predisposition to experiment with new solutions. This makes them eager to move on to the next challenge when things get boring. ENTPs become stressed when their improvisational abilities are ineffective and they will avoid circumstances where they might fail.

If stress continues, ENTPs become distracted and their "can do" attitude is threatened. Feelings of incompetence, ineptness, and inadequacy take over. They need to escape situations that are associated with anxiety is more prominent for the ENTP than for any other personality type. Doubtful of whether they will have what it takes to accomplish a task, they displace their fears onto situations they can elude. Panic, fear, and anxiety then block the expression of their creativity. Defensive phobic reactions cause the ENTP to circumvent achievement in other areas and prevent the success they strive on.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
ding ding ding we have a very sad yet scary reality here......

UGH

ENFP

ENFPs have a tendency to overextend themselves in both their physical and emotional commitments. Their proclivity to procrastinate and to overlook details complicates their circumstances. ENFPs often move on to new ventures without completing those they have already started. Their charming personalities can show signs of irritability and over-sensitivity when their desires to please different people come into conflict. During times of stress, ENFPs feel alienated. They then engage in deceptions that serve to obscure what is occurring within themselves.

The ENFP finds symbolic meanings behind the immediate circumstances. These meanings are construed as foreboding problems when ENFPs are under stress. Having a pervasive feeling of losing control over their own independent identities, ENFPs will feel virtually split apart by intruding circumstances. They will be "besides themselves" and "just not all there" — as if something, or someone, has taken away the essence of who they are. Not feeling like themselves, the ENFP will become subject to their own feelings of shame for being a phony, a fake or an impostor. If stress continues to grow, they may attribute malevolent schemes to others in order to explain away their fears.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ugh....

ENFJ

The ENFJs optimistic outlook toward social relationships is a burden to them at times. When external conflicts affect a group, the ENFJ is likely to assume responsibility. Their ability to empathize then turns into a liability. ENFJs, when over-identifying with the pain of others, will loose sight of their own concerns and interests. Their idealism can also be the cause of some distress when their assumptions are unable to weather the winds of reality. Fantasized relationships rarely translate into reality and even the best charismatic leader encounters unexpected resistance.

Like all NFs, ENFJs will disassociate themselves from stressful situations in an effort to protect their sense of well-being and togetherness. The ENFJ, however, will repress the unpleasant side of life only to have to face it later in an intensified form when it explodes from its hiding place. It can manifest itself as fits of anger, sudden outbursts, or emotional explosions. Often the ENFJ's body will reflect pent-up stress by manifesting various physical symptoms that will erupt unexpectedly.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol this would've gone better on my new blog that I just started! Heheh...

I wanted to give it a different name, but the stupid thing wouldn't let me have French characters in the title. It's not even as if I was being pretentious - I am French ffs! lol

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The underlined portions apply to myself under stress. Competence is a stronger driving force than congeniality for me, although they are both strong enough to produce conflict. It is an unfortunate conflict because my environments have produced the effect that competence = disharmony. Competence wins out, but at a personal cost.

INFJ

The agreeable nature and quiet personality of INFJs makes them particularly vulnerable to hurt feelings. Distress within close relationships can shatter the INFJ. Like all NFs under stress, INFJs feel fragmented and lost - as if they are acting out a part rather than simply being themselves. This disassociation can be related to physical symptoms for the INFJ, whether real or imagined. Feeling split off from their physical natures, INFJs may become virtually immobilized by repressed feelings.

Although INFJs may feel like remaining still and stationary until the chaos and confusion of a stressful situation dissipates, it would be best for them to actively sort out their needs from others. Being excessively cooperative and agreeable, the INFJ has a tendency to adopt values and beliefs of others as their own. When external conflicts grow, so does the INFJ's sense of personal disharmony. Disassociating themselves from others takes a great deal of effort for the INFJ.

INTJ

INTJs’ precision thinking and need for accuracy causes them to be inflexible at times. Having thought out a strategy, the INTJ may stubbornly disregard those who they think have not spent as much time reflecting on an idea as they have. This, along with their drive to produce something significant, can make them demanding and difficult. If their plans and solutions fall short of their high standards, INTJ's feel pressured — as if everything is on the line. "Everything," for an INTJ, is the competence and ability to produce something significant. Fear of not living up to this expectation will increase their stress and possibly dissuade them from risking or trying out their ideas. They may then find themselves thinking about ideas that do not have a meaningful or productive end.

When stress increases, the INTJ can become argumentative and disagreeable. Social interaction, which is not their strength, becomes increasingly difficult for them. Not trusting their own abilities, they become preoccupied with obsessive notions. The INTJ may then find themselves spending an inordinate amount of time fighting horrible thoughts, tempting absurdities, and feelings of worthlessness. Fearful of others recognizing their perceived failure, the INTJ incessantly ruminates about mistakes, inadequacies, weaknesses, ineptness, and incompetence. Because this distracts them from risking what little confidence they may have left in themselves, it therefore keeps them from obtaining the success and achievement they so desperately need.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
ding ding ding we have a very sad yet scary reality here......

UGH

:devil:

no, really, that was my reaction at first too, but then i got the same feeling i got when i first found MBTI and read the ENTP descriptions. i felt "normal" and "okay" all over again.

it took a lot of the stress away just by pointing out that it's not as endless as it seemed while in the grip of the stress.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:devil:

no, really, that was my reaction at first too, but then i got the same feeling i got when i first found MBTI and read the ENTP descriptions. i felt "normal" and "okay" all over again.

it took a lot of the stress away just by pointing out that it's not as endless as it seemed while in the grips of the stress.

Lord knows it's a double-edged sword, isn't it? -- finding out you're acting to type (which is a good guide outta trouble) but then there's the "why yes, you ARE in fact that neurotic under stress" element. Like I need any more pushes in THAT direction. :doh: :D

*head thumps onto desk* *muffled pitiable weeping*

And by the way, I've never met a female ENTP before. :) So hi there!

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lord knows it's a double-edged sword, isn't it? -- finding out you're acting to type (which is a good guide outta trouble) but then there's the "why yes, you ARE in fact that neurotic under stress" element. Like I need any more pushes in THAT direction. :doh: :D

*head thumps onto desk* *muffled pitiable weeping*

it's not as double-edged a sword if you remember that just being human means being under stress at some point (i.e. we're all neurotic sometimes). in that light, you're ahead of the game by not only having the understanding that comes from knowing your type, but also now having the additional tool of being able to recognize when you're under stress and acting accordingly, thus alleviating some of it.

neither have i, actually. and, *curtsy*

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
The underlined portions apply to myself under stress. Competence is a stronger driving force than congeniality for me, although they are both strong enough to produce conflict. It is an unfortunate conflict because my environments have produced the effect that competence = disharmony. Competence wins out, but at a personal cost.

toonia, in my opinion, while you may have a lot in common with the parts underlined in the INTJ portion, i think those parts are more how you react personally as an INFJ. i've known INTJs, and congeniality is very rarely part of their conflict, much less anywhere near to being as equally important as competence.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
toonia, in my opinion, while you may have a lot in common with the parts underlined in the INTJ portion, i think those parts are more how you react personally as an INFJ. i've known INTJs, and congeniality is very rarely part of their conflict, much less anywhere near to being as equally important as competence.
Yeah I know, but I've spent a lifetime making choices to become competent at significant cost, which has resulted in a loss of congeniality during most of it. Being punished for success has been common for me, but it hasn't stopped me. It hurts, but to give up competence to please others would violate me to the degree that I would no longer be who I am. I am inclined to please people on the surface/short-term, but when it counts, that element is irrelevant to my choices. This is true for me to an extreme that is not common for people in general. Combining those two sets of stressors is what I experience and they are often inherently in conflict.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp

you will soon find out that she is wonderfully amazing!!!!!!

Yes digest I know you're right... there was a glimmer of hope that was sparkling in the back of my head but but but....... I am not feeling like dealing with that reality just yet.....

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
you will soon find out that she is wonderfully amazing!!!!!!

so sweet. :)

Yes digest I know you're right... there was a glimmer of hope that was sparkling in the back of my head but but but....... I am not feeling like dealing with that reality just yet.....

nope! sorry! you're human all right!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mierda! El chingado computer cut me off! oh well- now I'll only paste on the second paragraph :(

The ISTP's form of retaliation can be characterized as defiling what other people value. The ISTP violates rules and regulations that protect individual rights in retaliation for the lost opportunities and freedom that the ISTP believes they have had to endure. Getting even stimulates them and a renewed sense of excitement emerges from the risks of revenge and the expression of outrage. If stress continues, ISTPs will put what remaining freedom they have left in jeopardy by rebelling further.

This is true :(

(and now whatever goes back to listening to the Clash at top volume while screwing herself over in an attempt to get revenge on The Man- why doesn't she take heed to the warnings in the Clash's cover of "I Fought the Law"?)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mierda! El chingado computer cut me off! oh well- now I'll only paste on the second paragraph :(

The ISTP's form of retaliation can be characterized as defiling what other people value. The ISTP violates rules and regulations that protect individual rights in retaliation for the lost opportunities and freedom that the ISTP believes they have had to endure. Getting even stimulates them and a renewed sense of excitement emerges from the risks of revenge and the expression of outrage. If stress continues, ISTPs will put what remaining freedom they have left in jeopardy by rebelling further.

This is true :(

(and now whatever goes back to listening to the Clash at top volume while screwing herself over in an attempt to get revenge on The Man- why doesn't she take heed to the warnings in the Clash's cover of "I Fought the Law"?)

The Clash make everything better. My favorite band. :headphne:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd say about half describe me well enough, with only the few E-F-s being so far off that'd I disagree.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is what happens to me under extreme prolonged stress:
  • I become hypersensitive and react emotionally to everything coming at me.
  • I feel trapped, hopeless, beset, not in control of anything.
  • I become paranoid of what others might be thinking of me. (Usually it is based on a "reasonable grain of truth," but I totally lose the ability to put it in perspective.)
  • I withdraw completely (if I can), cut ties, disappear into a small box. Also struggle with escapist tendencies (drinking, playing games -- anything to stop thinking or lose my self-awareness).
  • I am unable to make any decisions, everything just becomes so overly complicated. (Or I go to the the extreme and start making quick harsh decisions that can be destructive -- just lopping everything off.)
  • Ridicule myself mercilessly, for not being strong enough or independent enough or smart enough or creative enough to come up with a solution for my distress.

And anytime I ask for help, I can no longer determine where the "boundaries" should be -- what I should be doing on my own, what is okay to ask someone else for, what is overstepping my bounds.

Edit: I looked at the link after I posted this. All of INTP fits me, I can identify with most of the first part of INFP but the second paragraph not at all, and I can also identify with some of the INFJ description.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These sound similar for me as well.
I become hypersensitive and react emotionally to everything coming at me.
I tend to expect worst case scenarios coming at me which exhausts me. My reaction tends to be anxiety based which wears me out and ends up in depression. If there are other emotions involved, there are driven by a sense of anxiety. That becomes central.

I feel trapped, hopeless, beset, not in control of anything.
:yes: I will cope with this feeling by gaining control over some pithy project, like constructing a hamster house. I tend to be drawn to miniature things to create with when feeling this way and sometimes work with beads.

I become paranoid of what others might be thinking of me. (Usually it is based on a "reasonable grain of truth," but I totally lose the ability to put it in perspective.)
This is more true for the people I have a relationship with, but for the hoards of people i deal with professionally, I worry more what they are expecting from me and what the repercussions will be if I don't meet those expectations. Maybe it's from teaching, but as long as people don't bring extra hassles for me, I don't care what they think. People get unexpectedly false ideas about me, so that ship sailed and is heading south. Bon Voyage. :hi: I recently had someone close to me reach mistaken conclusions about my motivations. I just shake my head. I care less when worn down. It just makes me feel more disconnected and less desire to form any connections. When scenarios like that happen that i sense should hurt me, it makes me feel contentment in my sense of isolation. I've learned to enjoy the feeling of disconnecting from people when in a state of distress.

• I withdraw completely (if I can), cut ties, disappear into a small box. Also struggle with escapist tendencies (drinking, playing games -- anything to stop thinking or lose my self-awareness).
  • I am unable to make any decisions, everything just becomes so overly complicated. (Or I go to the the extreme and start making quick harsh decisions that can be destructive -- just lopping everything off.)
  • Ridicule myself mercilessly, for not being strong enough or independent enough or smart enough or creative enough to come up with a solution for my distress.
This all sounds familiar.

I also become impatient with everyone's neediness when I'm worn down. I get easily annoyed by complaining and people expecting platitudes. People who revel in helplessness trigger anxiety for me because I feel that on some level but can't give in to it. I won't. I appreciate people who have their own backbone, rather than expecting to use mine.

It's also very stressful to have someone comfort me solely on emotional terms as though I may be a victim. Right now I have someone who really challenges me on my negative conclusions and it gives me strength. Those are the people I seek out when in distress.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm..I get stressed easily, and honestly it's hard for me to distinguish between 'extreme stress' and regular stress. I'm just accustomed to being hypersensitive about things and having my 'inner zen' disturbed fairly regularly. :)

As I'm typing this out, I believe I can usually keep the 'extreme stress' at bay, though, so I can typically work through things or resolve the situation outwardly before it ever boils over into 'extreme stress' - but once it boils over into 'extreme stress', there's really not much I can do about it, other than let it run its course. At least, I haven't figured it out yet. :) Everything below is my 'extreme stress' mode -->

In general, all of it stays inside me, and doesn't manifest itself in anger or really reactive emotions towards others. I think it's because I'm aware that when I'm stressed out, I'm not necessarily rational, and I'm aware I'm probably paranoid, so I don't want to do/say anything that's a product of my mood, and not how I might really feel about it when I'm not stressed. When stressed, the only outside emotion would probably be intense irritability/judgements towards life/people in general -- but not directed AT anyone in particular. But even these judgements would only be evident to those really close to me, i.e. family - I wouldn't express it to coworkers, or necessarily even friends.

But the problem w/ keeping it all in is that I do get the physical symptoms - I truly feel sick, like I'm coming down with the flu. So when I'm really worked up about something, I often just feel like all I can, and should, do is lay down and put a hot compress on the back of my neck.

A definite problem I have when I get stressed is that I get into Ni/Fi/Ti/whatever analytical loops in my brain, and I *CAN'T* turn it off - and it's my being unable to turn my brain 'off' that drives me crazy and exacerbates the physical symptoms. So, in order to ease the neverending inner stress monologue, I'll sometimes force myself out to the gym, or I'll in an act of desperation try to get my brother to play board games with me...or stuff like that. Just to DO things so I'm not just stuck inside my head. Because, being stuck inside my head when I'm in this stressed-out place is like...well, hell. It's awful. My brain goes into hyperdrive, or something..which also obviously makes it difficult to sleep, which is what would ease the stress!!!

Ok, now I feel weird and all. :shock:

I should add - extreme stress for me nearly always involves how I relate to others, and my identity, and figuring out who I am. So, this seems most close to the INFP stress description. I don't think I get extremely stressed with anything outside of inter and intra-personal stuff. It always comes back to my identity and relationships, and this is what my analytical loops always circuit around.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But the problem w/ keeping it all in is that I do get the physical symptoms - I truly feel sick, like I'm coming down with the flu. So when I'm really worked up about something, I often just feel like all I can, and should, do is lay down and put a hot compress on the back of my neck.

I related to everything you just wrote, but especially this part. Stress can make me very very sick, and once that happens, it's difficult to throw the brakes on it. I have lupus, so I have to be doubly careful about how much of a pounding I can take (like you have a lot of choice, right? Sometimes not so much.). Exercise helps a great deal but sometimes I have to just flee a bad situation entirely. Part of the reason I stopped being a mechanic was the stress -- it was literally doing me in.