User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Difference between art...

I'm just wondering what the differences between art an INFP creates, and art an ISFP creates? I am just talking about actual 'art' such as painting/drawing but other examples can be used too
    <3

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

ISFP -> transmits positive mood
    INFP -> transmits not so positive mood

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

ISFP art is pretty, and INFP art is disturbing and/or nonsensical.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Some art is designed to simply be beautiful to look at. This is the type of art that an ISFP would likely draw. Other art is meant to be metaphorical or abstract. This is more suited to an INFP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

There are many dark ISFPs and light-hearted INFPs.

I think INFPs do tend to take a more conceptual approach. ISFPs seem more straight-forward (for lack of a better word), but that doesn't always result in something any less "abstract". I mean, I think Pollack was ISFP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Take a look at my avatar (it's one of my paintings).
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    There are many dark ISFPs and light-hearted INFPs.

I think INFPs do tend to take a more conceptual approach. ISFPs seem more straight-forward (for lack of a better word), but that doesn't always result in something any less "abstract". I mean, I think Pollack was ISFP.
    er, yeah. and wasn't Van Gogh an ISFP, supposedly?

I would just think 'disturbed' coincides with Fi feeling a range of things and having to let it out.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I can say for myself, with ISfp preferences that the art may be more technical...more about competent results than unusual concepts? More of an artisan's approach. Not that something couldn't be abstract in theme....and perhaps once (we) have found a niche we pursue it vigorously.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

brainheart

I think there is also a focus on the actual process, the feel of doing it and the pleasure that it produces for ISFPs, although that may be the case for INFPs as well, not like I know. But yes, if it doesn't look good to you, technically, it is a disappointment. My best art is either profoundly simplistic/comic strip or extremely detailed. And it is based on something real.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I think there is also a focus on the actual process, the feel of doing it and the pleasure that it produces for ISFPs, although that may be the case for INFPs as well, not like I know. But yes, if it doesn't look good to you, technically, it is a disappointment. My best art is either profoundly simplistic/comic strip or extremely detailed. And it is based on something real.
    Yes, I've said before, I don't have the patience to create most kinds of art really well because I don't get enough out of the process of executing my ideas (and personally I'm just not very good at it). I get pleasure from the process of creative writing, but that's about it. Probably some INFPs do develop enough Se to become great visual, kinaesthetic or musical artists, but the average INFP won't hone those skills as well as the average ISFP.

As for the content, that will depend on the strength of the preference I suppose, but I imagine in general INFP art would be more conceptual, ISFP art more down-to-earth.