User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: SP vs. N

MBTI
    INFJ

Default SP vs. N

Somewhere I read that some SPs (guess due to Se) often score as Ns on several online tests since in interviews they said they also refer to "big picuture thinking" rather than looking for details (rather Si, is that??). However, somewhere I read that the difference between the SPs and Ns is that N sees the pattern FIRST and Se has to LOOK for patterns after having seen details, looks for the patterns behind the details which could also be meant by "interested in the big picture". I'm not sure whether I get this right....... but.... somehow I find it really really hard to tell the difference between Ne (or N in general) and Se at this point....... I myself am sure of being an N, yet, when I observe myself I think I'm also rather LOOKING for the pattern....... I find the S and N difference really easy to tell when it comes to people using Si....I have all my friends and family members identified correctly as SJs......but I just can't tell who is SP and who is some kind of N...... do you have any ideas?

In addition, and this is not meant as an offence, since some of my closest friends are SJs, is it possible to say that SPs are often more "open-minded" and willing to consider all kinds of different opinions? intersted in looking at things from different perspectives? is this related to P? I find some of the SJs I know, eg my father, to be really rigid.....it's just hard for me to see how someone is not even willing to try to look at things from a different perspective and to take into consideration that there is more than ONE TRUTH. I do not mean to offend anyone, since there are of course a lot of very open-minded SJs, I'm sure......

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Halfjillhalfjack View Post
    In addition, and this is not meant as an offence, since some of my closest friends are SJs, is it possible to say that SPs are often more "open-minded" and willing to consider all kinds of different opinions? intersted in looking at things from different perspectives? is this related to P? I find some of the SJs I know, eg my father, to be really rigid.....it's just hard for me to see how someone is not even willing to try to look at things from a different perspective and to take into consideration that there is more than ONE TRUTH. I do not mean to offend anyone, since there are of course a lot of very open-minded SJs, I'm sure......

Look at different perspectives isn't related to P so much as Ni, which is paired with Se. This means that all SPs have Ni as a tertiary or inferior function, and so will usually display at least some apptitude for it.

It's worth noting that the four letters in the code are just a short hand for the attribute function order. They don't mean much on their own. Talking about a strong S (or whatever) is probably missleading. Think of a strong Si or Se instead, because the two functions are very different

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Yes, I would also appreciate a better explanation of Se v. Ne.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Look at different perspectives isn't related to P so much as Ni, which is paired with Se. This means that all SPs have Ni as a tertiary or inferior function, and so will usually display at least some apptitude for it.

It's worth noting that the four letters in the code are just a short hand for the attribute function order. They don't mean much on their own. Talking about a strong S (or whatever) is probably missleading. Think of a strong Si or Se instead, because the two functions are very different
    I can see that Ne and Ni are very different.....even though I'd think that also SJs having Ne as a tertiary or inferior function then might have the ability to considering possibilities....I know Ne and Ni are very different....but....if I relate looking at different perspectives to Ni, I'm wondering why I don't perceive all those N-types using Ne as a primary or secondary function as somehow not being able to look at different perspectives.....sorry if I can't make myself clear ....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I can see that Ne and Ni are very different.....even though I'd think that also SJs having Ne as a tertiary or inferior function then might have the ability to considering possibilities....I know Ne and Ni are very different....but....if I relate looking at different perspectives to Ni, I'm wondering why I don't perceive all those N-types using Ne as a primary or secondary function as somehow not being able to look at different perspectives.....sorry if I can't make myself clear ....
    It's worth remembering that anyone with a strong concious Ne function also has a shadow Ni function as well, opperating in the backround. It will influence their thoughts and outlooks even if they are unaware of it.

Ne and Ni are both related to possibilities, it's true, but different sorts of possibilities. Ne processes the meaning of a given piece of information, so the phrase "A man eating lion" could mean a lion that eats men, or a man that is currently eating a lion burger. It doesn't accept the most obvious interpretation as necessarily being true. Taking a less silly example, an Ne user who hears that drug dealer has been shot does not automatically assume he was shot because of anything to do with drugs. It's just one possibility.

Ultimately, though, the possibilities that Ne comes up with are rooted in current reality, it does shift the users perspectives.. Ni asks why the current situation exists at all. What is it about society that allowed this situation to arise at all? Can the economic/social situation be changed to create an environment were people don't feel the need to murder each other? If a gun and drug soaked areas exists, will this increase the chances of such incidents happening again. In this vane the Ni users thoughts drift until the question "why was he shot" takes on an entirly different meaning, and no longer has anything to do with this specific case.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This sentiment is oft-repeated, but very rarely supported. A small minority of people came about their "code" by use of "attribute function order" and to assign one to somebody is an unsupported assumption.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Somewhere I read that some SPs (guess due to Se) often score as Ns on several online tests since in interviews they said they also refer to "big picuture thinking" rather than looking for details (rather Si, is that??). However, somewhere I read that the difference between the SPs and Ns is that N sees the pattern FIRST and Se has to LOOK for patterns after having seen details, looks for the patterns behind the details which could also be meant by "interested in the big picture". I'm not sure whether I get this right....... but.... somehow I find it really really hard to tell the difference between Ne (or N in general) and Se at this point....... I myself am sure of being an N, yet, when I observe myself I think I'm also rather LOOKING for the pattern....... I find the S and N difference really easy to tell when it comes to people using Si....I have all my friends and family members identified correctly as SJs......but I just can't tell who is SP and who is some kind of N...... do you have any ideas?
    All the Perceiving functions involve active searching and processing, and they all start with details. It seems to me Si users focus on gathering as many details as possible, with the view that they may all be relevant or come in handy and should be kept in mind for later, and Se users focus on immediately sorting the details perceived as most important from those not so important for taking action. They start prioritising information more quickly. This might result in them tending to come to a kind of big picture view (and I agree that could mean different things to different people) more quickly than Si users do. Se's form of big picture thinking is looking for cause and effect relationships within complex situations. N searches for connections between the details, and its form of big picture thinking is looking for cross-contextual relationships between complex situations (Ne), or, something else (Ni).

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think it might be good to distinguish being "open-minded" from being "flexible". Being N means a person will tend to be more open-minded while being P means a person will be more flexible.

So NJ's for example are quite open-minded. This is because they are very imaginative. If you describe something unfamiliar to them they will be open to listening and digesting the new idea, because their imagination will help them to understand something totally unfamiliar. On the other hand once an NJ has decided the way things ought to be, then they won't readily change course in the same way that a P will. This means they are not particularly flexible. Usually an NJ needs time to reflect on their own to change the course they're on while P's do not.

On the other hand SP's are usually not exceptionally open-minded. If you try to describe something totally unfamiliar to them, they will often get bored or give you a funny look like you're crazy/retarded. On the other hand if you demonstrate this new concept to them they will readily grasp it and will not be so opposed or disinterested. SP's are very flexible and will readily change themselves to adapt to the things in their environment. So in this way a person can say that SP's are open to new experiences, but they might not be so open to new ideas especially if they are some abstract theoretical thing that can't be readily seen in the world around them. So I'd simply describe this as very flexible but not exceptionally open-minded.

I hope that makes sense. It's all semantics really, but I'm trying to explain what the meaning behind all of the semantics is.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

It's worth remembering that anyone with a strong concious Ne function also has a shadow Ni function as well, opperating in the backround. It will influence their thoughts and outlooks even if they are unaware of it.

Ne and Ni are both related to possibilities, it's true, but different sorts of possibilities. Ne processes the meaning of a given piece of information, so the phrase "A man eating lion" could mean a lion that eats men, or a man that is currently eating a lion burger. It doesn't accept the most obvious interpretation as necessarily being true. Taking a less silly example, an Ne user who hears that drug dealer has been shot does not automatically assume he was shot because of anything to do with drugs. It's just one possibility.
    So does that mean when someone jumps to a conclusion that it must have been because of the drugs, is that then Ni? I tend to do that all the time if it is an issue I'm frustrated by, such as how dangerous places can be because of the drugs. Then, if they get shot, it figures "they're lifestyle has finally caught up to them". Sometimes it will come with an "aha!", which is supposed to be Ni's hallmark.
    In the back of my mind, I know that it is one possibility, but it seems I want to believe some sort of poetic justice is being measured out by the universe.
    So I guess that would be shadow Ni, and particularly in muy case, the "critical parent" complex.
    Ultimately, though, the possibilities that Ne comes up with are rooted in current reality, it does shift the users perspectives.. Ni asks why the current situation exists at all. What is it about society that allowed this situation to arise at all? Can the economic/social situation be changed to create an environment were people don't feel the need to murder each other? If a gun and drug soaked areas exists, will this increase the chances of such incidents happening again. In this vane the Ni users thoughts drift until the question "why was he shot" takes on an entirly different meaning, and no longer has anything to do with this specific case.
    That happens to me also, usually in grumpy ruminating on a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think it might be good to distinguish being "open-minded" from being "flexible". Being N means a person will tend to be more open-minded while being P means a person will be more flexible.

So NJ's for example are quite open-minded. This is because they are very imaginative. If you describe something unfamiliar to them they will be open to listening and digesting the new idea, because their imagination will help them to understand something totally unfamiliar. On the other hand once an NJ has decided the way things ought to be, then they won't readily change course in the same way that a P will. This means they are not particularly flexible. Usually an NJ needs time to reflect on their own to change the course they're on while P's do not.

On the other hand SP's are usually not exceptionally open-minded. If you try to describe something totally unfamiliar to them, they will often get bored or give you a funny look like you're crazy/retarded. On the other hand if you demonstrate this new concept to them they will readily grasp it and will not be so opposed or disinterested. SP's are very flexible and will readily change themselves to adapt to the things in their environment. So in this way a person can say that SP's are open to new experiences, but they might not be so open to new ideas especially if they are some abstract theoretical thing that can't be readily seen in the world around them. So I'd simply describe this as very flexible but not exceptionally open-minded.

I hope that makes sense. It's all semantics really, but I'm trying to explain what the meaning behind all of the semantics is.
    That's very interesting! So you've recognized a new matrix between "flexible" and "open minded". Sort of like comparing J/P with T/F. they both determine "responsiveness" in different ways, depending on whether they are indicating temperament or Interaction Style.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

I think this thread says it all : Sensotard Moments
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.