User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    And the whole of typology.
    I've seen comments to the effect of saying "MBTI will ruin your life!"
    Sure, you can disagree with it. But why join the forum?
    "Typology", means the study of types. It can be the types of anything from mathematical types to musical types and everything in between.

And we are not called, "MBTI Central", nor are we called, "Astrology Central", we are called, "Typology Central".

And I was invited to join this forum because it is tolerant and well run - and so it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    "Typology", means the study of types.

And we are not called, "MBTI Central", we are called, "Typology Central".

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, Victor.

Sniffles

There's only one person here I notice who continously rants against typology - and that's Victor.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Even disregarding all the typology stuff it's still a pretty interesting place with interesting people.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There's only one person here I notice who continously rants against typology - and that's Victor.
    But I don't rant against typology. I only rant against MBTI.

I am sanguine towards typology but I find myself surrounded by those who have fallen for the confidence trick of MBTI.

But what is most telling is that many of those who have fallen for MBTI have also fallen for astrology.

Sniffles

Uh huh, uh huh. Keep posting.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think some of you initially started investing too much into MBTI and then became disillusioned... and bitter.

Here Victor, over a year ago, explains his disillusionment:

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    MBTI begins with an illusion but if you look into the nature and history of MBTI, you soon become disillusioned.

And this is the nature of learning - first we are illusioned then we learn and become disillusioned - this can be a painful and disorientating experience.

Usually I fall in love with a new book and I devour it. Then I start to think about it - I start to analyse it - I start to compare it - I start to criticise it. And before long, I start to fall out of love with this particular book.

So first, I eat the book, then I digest the book, then I eliminate the book. Then I am ready for my next book.

But whatever we call it, it flows on emotion. Illusion is accompanied by all the emotion of falling in love. And disillusion is accompanied by all the emotion of betrayed love, of disappointment, of disorientation.
    Of course there is no rational reason for this disillusionment, if you take MBTI for what it is in the first place; a crude tool in the very new field of psychometrics. Studying personality isn't an unworthy practice, it's extremely relevant to our lives, but it's very far away from being a precise science.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Mr. Carroll actually uses his brain. How refreshing.
    Hehe. Apologies for the cop out, by not writing something eloquent along similar lines. I think RT Carroll doesn't need my help.

The article generated a fair amount of feedback at the scepdic website. One assumes that much of the feedback (or at least some of it) comes from regular readers of this most rational of rationalist websites.

The readers' retorts and Carroll's replies are more relevant to the problems of MBTI™ than can be found here on Typo-C.

There's 3 pages of readers replies, all of them oozing dissonance.

Myers Briggs Type Indicator - reader comments -The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

It's curious why people get so defensive about MBTI. Particularly in light of the notice to desist order placed on this site by the owners of the MBTI™.

It's clear that MBTI™ want nothing to do with this site and are more than happy to slap legal notices on it. Now that's not a very nice thing to do to your biggest fans.

MBTI
    INTP

Notice to desist order? Story please!