User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I guess it's safe to say that that isn't my gun poking you.

OK, this is turning really wrong really fast.

Carry on..
    You started it...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Once you get started, it's harder to stop.

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I don't understand the point of doing this. Why wouldn't the response be: "This is a weakness I'm naturally inclined to have, so now that I'm aware of its existence, I can work on it." instead of "We all do it! Woo!"
    I think there's a fine line. On the one hand, hearing a positive description of one's type can be a great relief to people who've been told (implicitly or explicitly) that they are broken or defective for being who they are. I think it's healthy to be a bit "type patriotic" and feel like one's type is a good one.

Conversely, one shouldn't use one's type as an excuse for not coping. The fact is that we introverts have to be social some times to get by, for example, while extraverts can't always ignore underlying issues by obscuring them with more external stimulation.

We still have to make our way in the world regardless of type, for better and for worse. Typology doesn't change that. At best, it improves understanding of oneself and others. Worst case, it's a whole new set of excuses and negative stereotypes to apply to others. Typology can't explain everything about the world, no model can or should. If life were that simple, someone would have figured it all out by now.

As every toddler knows, when you have a hammer (typology), you try whacking on everything available just for fun and to see what happens. I find it hard to be offended by people exploring what fits and what doesn't.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Because one sentence means a million things to all the people, who hear it. And if it doesnt, well if it doesnt, I know my history
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't understand the point of doing this. Why wouldn't the response be: "This is a weakness I'm naturally inclined to have, so now that I'm aware of its existence, I can work on it." instead of "We all do it! Woo!"
    As much as I like typology and like over analyzing I basically have come to the conclusion that type is only a little part of why I do things, it cant explain my entire nature.

Its nice to be affirmated that you are not completely different from other, which desire lies in all of us, I think, even how independent they might feel they are or desire to be. (I include myself in this) But for me its the criticism of seeing myself in others and the faults we have in common that I need to work on that is basically most interesting for me. I think it might be different for others.

To answer the OP I think people get tired of the generalizations that sometimes can come from a typology forum. Plus a lot already said.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Personally I like typology, I use the knowledge I have in day-to-day life, it has a practical application for me and a rather positive one at that but online it's different, people are at all different stages of knowledge and understanding, I recon there are basically three type of people online;
    • Those who know little, and know they know little.
    • Those who know little but claim to know much.
    • Those who are proficient at explaining the theory the best they can and try not to delude themselves or others about their depth of knowledge, cause they know little.

There's a reason I don't display my type here, too often insults are type-related, half the time they're even disguised as serious conversation that isn't meant to be insulting, I identify with ENTP and have no issue talking about things that I know, as an ENTP, and about the inter-relationships I have with other types to see what patterns there are but frankly I get sick of people using their 'understanding' of ENTP to describe me as there are too many people who think they know what that means, but don't because they listen to other people who don't know what they're talking about and perpetuate stereotypes.

I'd guess most people who seem disenchanted with MBTI here would have started out enthused and over time found flaws in the way others are using it. I only know of one member who already have a problem with MBTI when they joined, most others gain issues over time from seeing how it's interpreted. It's the users more than the system.

Agreed, totally.

I used a simple example that is easy to pick apart though, there are many other comments made that are a lot more subtle but say the same thing: I do [this] because I am MBTI type [that]. It can even be an acceptance of how ones MBTI type says they are naturally ie I'm a perceiver, my strength is starting things, not finishing so I'm not going to be too fussed about changing that, when I lose interest in my next project I know why and that's enough.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There are Atheists who troll Christian forums trying to convince people that God doesn't exist. This is pretty mild in comparison...

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    And the whole of typology.
    I've seen comments to the effect of saying "MBTI will ruin your life!"
    Sure, you can disagree with it. But why join the forum?
    Ask Victor my son.
    He will explain everything to you.

He is fun actually. With his crazy conspiracy theories.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    There are Atheists who troll Christian forums trying to convince people that God doesn't exist. This is pretty mild in comparison...
    What I dont get is, why I am here at all ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Once you get started, it's harder to stop.

I know. I recommended this site to a friend a few days ago and told her to beware that this place will eat your life.