• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENxPs - does Ne ever get the best of you?

Qre:us

Do you have issues curbing your Ne, in that your Ti/Fi cannot keep up with it?

And, you're left with an explosion of thoughts on a particular topic, that you just *know* are all related somehow, but, it seems like there's not enough time to figure out how they ALL connect, interweave, to present a coherent picture?

Do you get frustrated with this? Does it feel like a piece of knowledge nugget that came to you, slipped through your fingers, just as fast, because you couldn't grasp on to it fast enough? What do you do to tackle this?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes!

That's exactly the reason why I decided to put an E in front of my type.
I have got a lot of introvert characteristics (like the need to get away from socializing etc), but if I think in terms of functions,... I have always this picture of my Ne blurting out associations like mad and even all four of my judger functions together not being able to follow!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think it is meant to be even more stupid for ENFPs because we don't screen stuff as much as ENTPs and take everything on board in case.

I collect pens, and try to always have a notebook around at home. But sometimes I'm driving in the car and lots of great ideas come to me. Actually it happens more often in the car than most places, because I'm on my own and isolated. There is no way to write them down or capture them while driving, so I normally just try to remember the best ones for later, and sort of kill the train of thought by doing it. Otherwise I go through the whole problem then and there then forget it completely till it pops up again 6 months later.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find Ti so tiring because of this, I have thoughts and ideas but my brain goes all srcewed and msuhy wehn it treis to keep up :( I can only explain myself via: :steam: :cry: :yay: :shock: :huh:

I have so many thoughts racing around that I know must be related but I can't see why and I lose the abilities that I usually take for granted, like basic speech and sentence construction :blush:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you do to tackle this?
I didn't answer this question...
I've learnt to let those ideas slip through without worrying about them. Don't try to remember those glimpses, it doesn't work and it's only frustrating.
Trust your Ne to come up with more of them. Trust your Ti or Fi to select the ones worth selecting.
Please, don't mourn the missed ones. If they are good, they'll eventually come back!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hell yeah. I have, specifically for Fi thoughts, a journal I have with me at all times, and I have one specifically for random Ne thoughts that still need further processing. Inspired by this forum of course, and my frustration at losing the most valuable ideas at times, and finding myself scribbling stuff on the back of a grocery ticket from your last shopping trip, with not enough room and then the risk of losing said ticket somewhere after painfully writing down everything that comes into your mind and trying to fit it on there all somehow. :steam:

So yes. Of course, now I have the problem that sometimes I forget to take my booklets with, but most of the time, I'm covered when inspiration strikes :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hell yeah. I have, specifically for Fi thoughts, a journal I have with me at all times, and I have one specifically for random Ne thoughts that still need further processing. Inspired by this forum of course, and my frustration at losing the most valuable ideas at times, and finding myself scribbling stuff on the back of a grocery ticket from your last shopping trip, with not enough room and then the risk of losing said ticket somewhere after painfully writing down everything that comes into your mind and trying to fit it on there all somehow. :steam:

hehe, I've done the scribble on grocery dockets. I occasionally record stuff with my phone also. And have written a paragraph or two in the steam on the shower screen while showering. All my note books from university have more about other things written in them than the subject. I've actually kept them all because of this.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
What I tend to do is spew out the thoughts ... verbal diarrhea and then make the connections on the spot... often when talking with someone I figure things out as I am speaking... but often at the start I don't know where I;m going with something

I tend to send myself trigger words through my cell's texts. Also, I have a lot of Notepad docs filled with random trails of thought. I have tried writing it down on random scraps of paper...but I never re-locate those pieces of paper. :doh:

When it gets too much, I take myself away from external stimuli, become a hermit, and give my mind some quiet rest time to sort all the stuff out.

I wonder, is this the same for Ni doms? INxJs? I'd think the conflict was more apparent for Ne doms because we need the external stimuli, while the Ni doms can (and do) naturally have their quiet head-space time.

Thanks for all the commentaries.

Tamske, that's a very insightful suggestion....forget lamenting about those that got away, if they were important enough, they'd come back. I guess, I just don't like a lot of 'what ifs' piling up without them getting analyzed and sorted. Must work on this aspect of my frustration.

I think it is meant to be even more stupid for ENFPs because we don't screen stuff as much as ENTPs and take everything on board in case.

I wouldn't think that. Ne perceives unfiltered, what our introverted judging function does comes secondary to it, to bring it up to our concrete consciousness. Ne is just as whack unchecked, regardless of what judging function gets implemented on the fetched bits of scraps Ne brings back to us. Ti or Fi.

It just might seem more 'stupid' for ENFP, if it's without the influence of Te, just Fi analysis, because, in the ENTP counterpart, Ti makes the analysis more detached/sterile than Fi.

PS - I loved the story of you writing stuff down using the steam from your shower. :laugh:

blizzy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Seemingly relevant connections of current thoughts and possible future thoughts are passing through my mind at any given moment.

The way I see it, the truly relevant thoughts will prove their relevancy either by passing through my thoughts enough times to be remembered or by inherently having enough value to be memorable.

Essentially, those thoughts relevant enough to be worthy of memory will be remembered. Those thoughts irrelevant enough to be unworthy of memory will not be remembered.

Perhaps, the trains of thought that are afixed to memory are done so precisely because Ti classifies them away in a meaningful way.

But, in general, Ti can not keep up. If Ti could keep up, I would be an INTP with Ne subservient to the master Ti. That is not the case, and I would not want it any other way (to be perfectly honest).

The way I see it, the truly relevant thoughts will prove their relevancy either by passing through my thoughts enough times to be remembered or by inherently having enough value to be memorable.

Essentially, those thoughts relevant enough to be worthy of memory will be remembered. Those thoughts irrelevant enough to be unworthy of memory will not be remembered.

Perhaps, the trains of thought that are afixed to memory are done so precisely because Ti classifies them away in a meaningful way.

My contention with this is that I know some of those Ne thoughts are barely on the periphery of the topic or discussion at hand. Thus, it doesn't *stick* as well.

But, it's novelty, lack of obvious relevance (Ti processed), makes it even more intriguing than the obvious trains of thoughts. Hence, why it makes me frustrated when they get away.

Because I felt like I was beginning to capture something that has never been perceived by me before, or was so off-the-well-trodden-path that I only saw a glimpse of it, before it died out against the other noises, and I lost it forever.

It was so rare, and the rarity made it more hazy, less understood, less easy to capture (by Ti), that it slipped by me, and was lost (potentially forever) unless a deja vu were to happen, where the thought was recreated due to its associations being replicated again in a moment's external stimuli.

But, in general, Ti can not keep up. If Ti could keep up, I would be an INTP with Ne subservient to the master Ti. That is not the case, and I would not want it any other way (to be perfectly honest).

A thousand times, YES, in agreement. Although I love what Ti is capable of doing, Ne steals my :heart: over and over again. It is my brain-child for creativity and wit and amusement at this farce called life. It allows me to amuse myself in ways others can't even begin to imagine. The amount of times, I make myself laugh.........

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also find that when I write it down, regardless if i'll ever look at it again, it sorta forces the chaos to leave my brain. I constantly feel like I'm forgetting stuff when I don't, that I'm losing part of the pattern, basically, and I find that writing it down organizes it better in my head so i need less 'RAM' to overview it all.

I consider the inside of my head to look like the universe, with stars swirling around, infinitely related in patterns. Writing things down allows me to take those stars and properly name them and categorize them, file them in a handy way.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yes, it does. Ne always rules and Te tries to follow, picking up after Ne, folding and stacking and making neat in Ne's wake....shaking it's head and mumbling under it's breadth the whole time but silently worshiping Ne too :cheese: Most of the time, when Ne is not in overdrive, the relationship works fine.

However, when caught in an Ne hailstorm of ideas, I've found it most useful to employ a sounding board...INXJs are best. They're too nice to say, that was really dumb, don't call me when you're in a storm again, kay?

Seriously, they're really good at thinking through all the balls Ne throws out, highlighting why some ideas won't work and others would. They keep up and can help pick out the few really great ideas from the many crazy unworkable ones that Ne spews....They're good cheerleaders while not indulging the ideas that should be thrown out. That's very useful. I find talking through an NE hailstorm to be of most help. If I stew in them by myself during a storm, I'll drown in my own sea of Ne....

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
No need to be an EN_P for Ne to get ahead of the Ji function. My natural response to such moments is to answer what I can and keep the rest in the mental question drawer. There's always more questions that answers. Connections can always be hammered down.

Usually, I'll just roll with the "insight" for a few days or so until it reaches contradiction or logic fills in the holes.

I agree with the "sounding board" technique. Aggressively pursue and idea until it hits a conclusion of some sort.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, it does. Ne always rules and Te tries to follow, picking up after Ne, folding and stacking and making neat in Ne's wake....shaking it's head and mumbling under it's breadth the whole time but silently worshiping Ne too :cheese: Most of the time, when Ne is not in overdrive, the relationship works fine.

However, when caught in an Ne hailstorm of ideas, I've found it most useful to employ a sounding board...INXJs are best. They're too nice to say, that was really dumb, don't call me when you're in a storm again, kay?

Seriously, they're really good at thinking through all the balls Ne throws out, highlighting why some ideas won't work and others would. They keep up and can help pick out the few really great ideas from the many crazy unworkable ones that Ne spews....They're good cheerleaders while not indulging the ideas that should be thrown out. That's very useful. I find talking through an NE hailstorm to be of most help. If I stew in them by myself during a storm, I'll drown in my own sea of Ne....

:yes: investing in your very own sounding board is a very wise idea for a Ne-dom!

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
What I tend to do is spew out the thoughts ... verbal diarrhea and then make the connections on the spot... often when talking with someone I figure things out as I am speaking... but often at the start I don't know where I;m going with something

This is the way I usually do it. :yes::D

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Like others have said, talking to someone else is always the most helpful thing for me, especially because I can view what I'm saying from their imagined perspective AND get their actual perspective at the same time (the last part is very useful if the person is quick or thorough). If I don't have somewhere specific to aim, I can just accumulate the most huge mass of stuff. And it grows and grows!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It might be a good idea for some of you Ne doms to keep a small digital voice recorder in your car at all times. If you start getting ideas while you are driving, all you have to do is press the record button and let the ideas flow. I know an ENTP who talked about doing this - don't know if it ever happened, but I've even thought it would be good for me and my Ne is secondary.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
My F gets the best of me- ahem, but my N is always looking out for me

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can always see how it's related myself, but I sometimes can't describe that relationship in words. This results in me looking crazy on occasion