User Tag List

First 1234 Last

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I know for me the first thing to develop my inferior extraverted feeling would be to start legitimately caring for people.

I am yet to take this first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Learn to see how your inferior functions manifest themselves at present, and look at descriptions to see an improved inferior function and an end result of a mature inferior function, then aim for that.
    Back a couple months ago I posted in this thread using the system developed at PersonalityPage.com: Strengthen your Auxiliary in order to prevent over-reliance on your Dominant function.

I still think there's some merit in that approach. I think J and P functions tend to operate in tandem; therefore a quick fix for a an overactive Dominant function would be to strengthen one's Auxiliary. For example, a Dominant N or S who spends too much time and effort "churning" details in their mind (can't let go of re-hashing scenarios and making plans) could take fairly immediate steps to strengthen their Auxiliary T or F and use it to monitor and cut off excess N/S. And vice versa - strengthen one's Auxiliary N/S to curb close-mindedness of the Dominant T/F (solipsism, getting stuck in one's head) and get quick access to broader interaction with one's environment.

On the other hand, nowadays I'm increasingly a fan of developing one's Inferior (and ideally the Tertiary along with it). It's a longer-term project than working on one's Auxiliary, but the benefits would be bigger as well. The Inferior is the "opposite" of the Dominant and provides a nice complement to it. And the Inferior is the function that we use when we are stressed; therefore getting a handle on "healthy" unstressed application of the Inferior would go a long way toward recognizing and reducing stress.

IOW, developing one's Auxiliary might be a good short-term project for reining in an over-active Dominant; developing one's Inferior would be a long-term project for having a healthier outlook on life as a whole.

In my opinion, of course.

MBTI
    INFJ

According to Lenore Thompson, trying to develop our inferior functions is not practical. She used an example of Maggie, an INTJ, who wanted to use her Se to become more competitive when boarding a train so that she could get a seat on the train every morning on her way to work, which would allow her to relax, snooze, read the newspaper, etc. The result was her thinking she was using Se by forcing herself to be outgoing and wedging people off with her briefcase (like true Se's did) while boarding the train in order for her to get her seat. Come to find out, she noticed others she saw every morning seemed to be frightened of her. She noticed that when the train moved everyone settled and read newspapers (which she had hoped to do by getting a seat) while her heart was still pumping and her mind was replaying her strategies. In the end she didn't get what she wanted. Instead of seeming outgoing or empowered she came off as frantic and out of control. Maggie didn't even recognize herself. "This is hardly a way to integrate and humanize a weaker function. It just manages to alienate us from our greatest strengths." Instead of playing her weakness (Se), Thompson suggest she should have used her Te (secondary function) to deal with the objective world logically and responsibly. This would tell her to get up earlier and catch a different, less crowded train. "By reaching out to her inferior function to become more extroverted she lost touch with rational judgment altogether."

Thus, it is my conclusion that by trying to use an inferior function more we apply an equal and opposite effect on our preferred one, making us less true to ourselves and causing ourselves more anxiety than what is necessary. Play your strengths.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    According to Lenore Thompson, trying to develop our inferior functions is not practical. .........

Thus, it is my conclusion that by trying to use an inferior function more we apply an equal and opposite effect on our preferred one, making us less true to ourselves and causing ourselves more anxiety than what is necessary. Play your strengths.
    Well, in the example you gave, I think that's an unhealthy approach. She was trying to be/appear to be a person of a different sort than she actually was...i.e. 'more agressive', 'more outgoing'. But the very act of this was probably very anxiety-provoking for her. I agree in situations such as that, it would be best to play up your strengths. -->Also, I don't think the example was a good one, because I don't think it's 'pure Se' the woman was trying to target. I think she was targeting a completely different persona, which is a combo of functions. Like, she was trying to 'be ESTP', or something -- I don't see it as her honing in on Se.

But developing your 'lesser' functions doesn't have to be like the above example. I believe we all use all of our functions, or have the ability to use them, in a healthy way that still allows us to be true to ourselves. (And sometimes one might make the conscious decision to disregard function X or Y completely, simply because he doesn't like it or value it. )

I actually enjoy using some of my supposedly 'lesser' functions, and think I use all to various extents, depending on the situation at hand and what is needed. I also **really** enjoy a lot of Se activities and pasttimes.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    According to Lenore Thompson, trying to develop our inferior functions is not practical. She used an example of Maggie, an INTJ, who wanted to use her Se to become more competitive when boarding a train so that she could get a seat on the train every morning on her way to work, which would allow her to relax, snooze, read the newspaper, etc. The result was her thinking she was using Se by forcing herself to be outgoing and wedging people off with her briefcase (like true Se's did) while boarding the train in order for her to get her seat. Come to find out, she noticed others she saw every morning seemed to be frightened of her. She noticed that when the train moved everyone settled and read newspapers (which she had hoped to do by getting a seat) while her heart was still pumping and her mind was replaying her strategies. In the end she didn't get what she wanted. Instead of seeming outgoing or empowered she came off as frantic and out of control. Maggie didn't even recognize herself. "This is hardly a way to integrate and humanize a weaker function. It just manages to alienate us from our greatest strengths." Instead of playing her weakness (Se), Thompson suggest she should have used her Te (secondary function) to deal with the objective world logically and responsibly. This would tell her to get up earlier and catch a different, less crowded train. "By reaching out to her inferior function to become more extroverted she lost touch with rational judgment altogether."

I see a couple things wrong with that example.

1) I'm an older INFP who has been developing his lesser functions for a while as part of natural age progression. In my own case, developing my Inferior (Te) has done me a world of good. Te provides real-time, real-life tools for coping with a complex world. For a somewhat avoidant personality type, tools like that are a real boon and a real stress-reducer.

2) I'm not sure Maggie was exhibiting proper use of Se by beating people up with her briefcase. Se is competitive, but it's also playful. I tend to view the Tertiary and Inferior as a J/P loop that parallels the main J/P loop of the Dominant/Auxiliary. As an INTJ, Maggie's Inferior is Se and her Tertiary is Fi. Keeping the emphasis on the J function, that means that for proper development Maggie needs to borrow some of her outlook on life from the ESFP. In other words, she needs to chill out, become a little more hedonic, start enjoying the pleasures of life. I think that sort of attitude would do INTJs a world of good and help them find a way to get in better touch with the real world in a way that plays to some of their fairly accessible functions.

3) If all Maggie intended to get from her Inferior was the ability to obtain a better seat on the train, then I agree with Lenore Thompson--Maggie should use her Auxiliary as a quicker and more efficient way to turbo-charge her natural problem-solving ability. But should Maggie wish to become more emotionally mature and really connect with the people around her, then she's going to need more than just a boosted Te. She needs to start tapping into her Inferior Se (to really notice the people around her) and her Tertiary Fi (to tune in to people a bit more and want to establish some harmony with them).

Just my opinion, of course.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I suppose its okay to "act" the inferior function when expedient but to try "becoming" it, I think, is unhealthy.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I suppose its okay to "act" the inferior function when expedient but to try "becoming" it, I think, is unhealthy.
    Speaking for myself: I'm still an INFP (Inferior/Tertiary Te/Si). No one would ever mistake me for an ESTJ (Dominant/Auxiliary Te/Si). But I increasingly understand the beauty of the ESTJ's tools. You can't be everyone's buddy all the time. If you want to get things done, sometimes you have to lay down the law and be a bastard.

MBTI
    INFJ

I just stick with what the professionals have to say on the matter. They have dedicated their life to this as a career, after all.

Maybe the point she was trying to make was that we should develop our strengths and then use those to extend out to other functions. But still, I believe her point that Maggie should use her Te instead of forcing herself to take on Se behavior was a very valid point. Play your strengths. Though I am definitely not saying that I am fine without developing my Se, I think it's pretty evident that no matter how much I work on that function it will always be inferior to my other functions. Maybe the key is to concentrate on working on our dominant so that it extend to our second function, then work on our second so that it extends to our third, then work on our third so it extends to our fourth. Isn't that what they say happens as we age? That would make sense in FineLine's case since they are older and have probably reached that part in their development.

My interest in sparked. Later tonight I'll try to look back to the book and see if she mentions anything else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    If you want to get things done, sometimes you have to lay down the law and be a bastard.
    As much as I don't want to, I have to agree with you on that point. After years of development do you find yourself paying for your bastard's actions in the form of Fi? Or have you also learned to drop it completely?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to?
    I was wondering the same thing. >__<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social