User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    The reason for this is that I thought the forum members often strongly associate unbalanced behavior with too strong an expression of type.
    I never thought "extreme = unbalanced"... To me, "balanced" means you're able to use your strengths and compensate your weaknesses. Compensating is not equal to avoiding or getting rid of them.
    Getting rid of your weaknesses would make you less extreme. Compensating means finding ways that work for you. Becoming less extreme is only one way of compensating - but there are many more.

Example. I'm quite an extreme N and P.
    I have NEVER been too late to a lesson I had to teach. (crossing fingers for future!). Why? Because I found a way to remind me of those lessons consisting of outside means like an agenda; feeling responsible for my students (Yay for Fe!); finding challenge in explaining difficult, abstract, mathematical concepts to very concrete-minded students,...

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

So, would you write something with that premise?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    I honestly think most healthy people can be described as balanced but that dont mean they are not a type. Balance dont stem from being an XXXX it comes from being a basic type that can use other sides/functions of themselves to support that basic type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I never thought "extreme = unbalanced"... To me, "balanced" means you're able to use your strengths and compensate your weaknesses. Compensating is not equal to avoiding or getting rid of them.
    Getting rid of your weaknesses would make you less extreme. Compensating means finding ways that work for you. Becoming less extreme is only one way of compensating - but there are many more.

Example. I'm quite an extreme N and P.
    I have NEVER been too late to a lesson I had to teach. (crossing fingers for future!). Why? Because I found a way to remind me of those lessons consisting of outside means like an agenda; feeling responsible for my students (Yay for Fe!); finding challenge in explaining difficult, abstract, mathematical concepts to very concrete-minded students,...
    This.

I'm a very extreme N, but I still enjoy things like fashion, and I loved doing gymnastics before my knees got busted and made me stop. I'm also quite social and have been mistaken for an E fairly often (I'm definitely an introvert though).

I am still FAR better at and more naturally inclined toward abstract, theoretical things, though (ie theology, psychology), and I strongly prefer one-on-one socialization or smaller groups. Balanced doesn't mean having no preferences, strengths, or weaknesses.
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENTJ

Oh you people, you are taking just one idea you thought me saying in the OP - or thread title - and making up an explanation for it. Puhh. Why won't you stop to see what you're doing? C'mon.

You don't think stuff like this when you go answer those "write witty stereotype descriptions" thread.

Perhaps if you repeat long enough that "xxxx is not the same as balanced", as in reply to something that I supposedly said, people will believe I actually said the damn thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Don't worry. I know you've said that in the first place. I was just working out the idea a bit further. I know that you're waiting for the descriptions you asked and not for an answer like this. I promise: my next post in this thread will contain the descriptions you asked... I'm still trying to work them out...

MBTI
    ENTJ

Okay.

Discussion is great, this is more than we have in those stereotype threads! I just jumped at the idea of me reduceding balance to just type.

You have a fine order of handling things, definitions first, then you can work with them I like your thinking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Thanks for the compliment!
    As you're the same one who started the "communication advice for ENTJs" thread... yes, this is a compliment and a very good one, too. Thank you!

I've made some descriptions of balanced versions of the types I know best. It's not easy - it's a lot easier to describe the types by their oddities. But, of course, that was precisely the challenge in this... Here you go.

ENTP solves problems unconsciously while doing boring day-to-day work. The catch: don't try to solve two problems needing creativity at the same time. Our ENTP also lets go of at least 95 % of his ideas, even if they seem better than the ones he's realizing now. He sees ideas as a basic and plentiful resource instead of the rare gold most people think they are. He's able to take decisions based on emotion too, after checking internal consistency of course. He doesn't disregard such decisions as being irrational.

ESTJ: I'll repeat what my ESTJ husband told me: "If everybody was consistent all the time, life would be boring!" Add this to the down-to-earth conservative police officer image everybody has of the ESTJs.
    The balanced ESTJ still nitpicks about details, but he will do it respectfully, though bluntly. He's able to forgive both himself and others if they don't meet his high standards. This doesn't mean he has to keep silent - getting things organized is his best ability.
    Last edited by Tamske; 11-26-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Put the types in bold

MBTI
    ENTJ

INTP Lives a life with dignity, pondering the soundness and value of ideas in their favorite area of interest, even though they are really generalists at heart. They see the human connection behind most of the ideas, allowing them to be forgiving and relatively jovial. They do participate in a low-key way, and do not hide behind seemingly undeafeatable wall of analysis.
    ESTP They see the life as an adventure, a journey - but they're not too stuck with that image. Civilized society needs people to learn systems and procedures too, they know. It's not where they get their joy from, but they accept it as a chore to be done. There's good to be had with the bad, and our ESTP can take it. Positive outlook, and consideration for those who primarily decide with their heart, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh you people, you are taking just one idea you thought me saying in the OP - or thread title - and making up an explanation for it. Puhh. Why won't you stop to see what you're doing? C'mon.

You don't think stuff like this when you go answer those "write witty stereotype descriptions" thread.

Perhaps if you repeat long enough that "xxxx is not the same as balanced", as in reply to something that I supposedly said, people will believe I actually said the damn thing?
    The closest to xxxx I've seen was someone in my undergraduate class who was very hard to type. I'm not even sure I know her real type. She loved being around people, but she also loved going off by herself to work out, study, or read. She was in a sorority and in Campus Crusade for Christ (this sentence isn't a type description, it's just to give you more information about her. I was in both of those activities too, which isn't exactly something you'd expect from an INTJ). She loved working out and sports (was on the Frisbee team and went to the gym often), but she was introspective and enjoyed discussing theology. She was tough-minded and had a lot of male friends, but she also showed a lot of empathy and expressed her feelings easily. She is currently married to a guy who was also in Crusade, the guy is probably ENTP. She recently had her first child. She comes from a very psychologically healthy, stable family and is the oldest of two (she has a younger brother). She was valedictorian of her high school (large public school in the Eastern USA).

I'd say she was E, but a lowish E and a balanced one. Exxx is all I've got though, she is probably close to the middle in the last three. She still has a type though VI-wise she looks Esfj, but she doesn't remind me at all of the other ESFJs I know (and I know quite a lot of them).
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENTP

ENTJ - the balanced ENTJ has learned patience. While he's still tactless and tries to get everyone working efficiently on his plans, he knows and accepts other people are not as quick on the uptake as he is. An excellent example of this "balanced-ENTJ behaviour" can be found in this thread, actually! Look:

Oh you people, you are taking just one idea you thought me saying in the OP - or thread title - and making up an explanation for it. Puhh. Why won't you stop to see what you're doing? C'mon. [...]
    Followed by:

Okay.
    Discussion is great, this is more than we have in those stereotype threads!
    The balanced ENTJ takes advice and suggestions explicitly. The less developed ENTJ would also take advice and suggestions, but without knowing he was doing it, thus forgetting to acknowledge people. To me, it seems ENTJ is good at understanding everything with half a word, which enables him to take your suggestion even before you know it - thus appearing like the total dictator everyone loves to hate. Unless he's learnt to acknowledge, that is. (I hope I've expressed myself clearly here. I've had difficulties translating my thoughts into English.)