User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    They're opposing in the sense that they process and relate to things in completely opposite ways, not that they're incompatible.
    Ok, that's right. It's just that it sort of sounded like that in the post I quoted. (When it comes to 'incompatibily', it rather applies to Fi/Ti and Fe/Te then? Well, at least theoretically.)

Actually Fi and Ti both get to the same thing different ways. We understand the big picture holistically, they understand it through seeing logical structure within it. The end result for both seems to be the big picture and how it works. We just see different parts first. In that sense I'm not sure it would be incompatible. You'd probably kick ass if you had both and understand what was happening even quicker.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Actually Fi and Ti both get to the same thing different ways. We understand the big picture holistically, they understand it through seeing logical structure within it. The end result for both seems to be the big picture and how it works. We just see different parts first. In that sense I'm not sure it would be incompatible. You'd probably kick ass if you had both and understand what was happening even quicker.
    Isn't that like trying to be in two places at the same time? As a side note, I love how tangible our consciousness is compared to the physical world. I don't do well with objects. I always trip over things and walk sorta funny.

I agree that Fi and Ti are not incompatible and both potentially can get to the same destination, just by different methods. We're all human. There's a limited number of 'theories'. Like it or not, we pretty much have one spectrum, one side is negative and the other is positive, and I say that in a very general sense, but...right? There's life and there's death and everything revolves around the two.

Fi types focus on what is or isn't congruent with their values, and is individualistic and self-centered. It stands opposed to Te, which asks for you to take responsibility of the outer world regardless of how it might make you feel.

Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted, and concerns itself with how we define the emotional roles we play out with each other. It stands opposed to Ti, which prompts the user to essentially ignore how other people feel and understand things within a framework of total emotional detachment.
    I really like these descriptions.

By a similar token, couldn't Fi types understand and feel things that they deem worthy and moral, but also cancel out the external opinions and also become emotionally detached, in a way if they judge everyone else to be morally incompetent. And they back their principals with hard-core logic...

And what is the basis of Te? Statistics? If they want to do good by society, they would have to rely on some sort of internal emotional landscape/moral compass.

Yes, you're definitely using Fi here. In fact, I'm probably going to quote you further down the road on this forum when referring newbies to what Fi is because you, my friend, have just given a wonderful description. You are most certainly INFP.
    Yeah. I guess I will just fully embrace my infp-ness and forget about turning myself into a bulldozing robot, not to say that I won't/can't act the part when needed, hmmhmm.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post

By a similar token, couldn't Fi types understand and feel things that they deem worthy and moral, but also cancel out the external opinions and also become emotionally detached, in a way if they judge everyone else to be morally incompetent. And they back their principals with hard-core logic...
    Yes absolutely. What happens most often with unbalanced types is that they skip over or don't give enough precedence to their secondary, leaving them only in their main world (either E or I). If you did this, as an INFP, you'd be using Fi and Si. This would most likely result in you having a very strong set of beliefs, backed by Si's stick-to-it-ive-ness, to the duress of your secondary Ne. So you would take all creative possibilities out of the mix to become a detached, stubborn, unyielding mess.

And what is the basis of Te? Statistics? If they want to do good by society, they would have to rely on some sort of internal emotional landscape/moral compass.
    Erm...not so much statistics as empirical data. Te has to do with executing outward plans and catalyzing people to meet some kind of real result. It is intrinsically much more concerned with ends than means. And yes, in order to be well balanced, ESTJ/ENTJ would need to be backed up by an internal perception function so that their judgments are always kept in check by what they observe. The "internal emotional landscape/moral compass" is more Fi that you're referring to, which would be inferior for these two types. If you're talking about Te in secondary position (ISTJ/INTJ), Fi would act as a tertiary (learned later in life) for further balance.

Yeah. I guess I will just fully embrace my infp-ness and forget about turning myself into a bulldozing robot, not to say that I won't/can't act the part when needed, hmmhmm.
    I mean, you asked, so I'm giving you my best guess, but really you're the only one who can figure this out for yourself. But your description was pure Fi; whether it was accurate or not is up to you.

Isn't that like trying to be in two places at the same time?
    More think along two lines at the same time. I do that in almost every MSN conversation .
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Isn't that like trying to be in two places at the same time? As a side note, I love how tangible our consciousness is compared to the physical world. I don't do well with objects. I always trip over things and walk sorta funny.

I agree that Fi and Ti are not incompatible and both potentially can get to the same destination, just by different methods. We're all human. There's a limited number of 'theories'. Like it or not, we pretty much have one spectrum, one side is negative and the other is positive, and I say that in a very general sense, but...right? There's life and there's death and everything revolves around the two.

I really like these descriptions.

If you divorce "attitude" from the functions for a moment, and think of it in terms of an introvert who normally chooses Thinking, and yet at times will choose Feeling, then it becomes easy to see how Ti could become Fi (or how Ti could become Te for that matter)

This also helps understand why what look like diametrically opposite "processes" (opposite function + opposite attitude) actually work in tandem in thje same primary or shadow range.
    A Thinking Introvert initially rejects the outer world, and also rejects Feeling. So Feeling then will generally be associated with the outer world. Feeling is rejected from the inner world, and the outer world is also rejected for use of his dominant Thinking. Hence, Fi and Te will be even further in the unconscious, but they can come up if the ego switches the dominant function OR orientation.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas