User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fi Ideas? Or Ti...

Senior Member Array incubustribute's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post

Am I actually using FI but trying really hard to distinguish it as some kind of logic? Or the other way around? I am very good at the big pictures, but not with understanding the functions. I often skim books because of that weakness and lower interest. I like understanding the jist of things. I really like the novel Frankenstein, the themes and all, but I did not read every page.

Does this still sound INFP? I am curious more than anything else.
    Yes, you're definitely using Fi here. In fact, I'm probably going to quote you further down the road on this forum when referring newbies to what Fi is because you, my friend, have just given a wonderful description. You are most certainly INFP.

Since you prefer "the gist" I'll try to be general here:

Fi - concern and passion for things of value, things that are "worth believing in". It has a very strong self-created internal sense of values, which feeds its need for moral and ethical definition.

Fe - (for the sake of contrast) - concern and awareness for others' feelings in a community or group. It has a deep need for external validation, and thus often talks about its feelings, whether everyone else wants to hear it or not.

(Fe typically gets hurt by others' behavior or words, Fi typically gets hurt by the cruelty of the world it lives in.)

Hope this helps

MBTI
    ISFJ

Oh, and I forgot:

Ti - concerned with logical coherency above all else. Ti will analyze its data and compare it to the system until it knows it's right, at which point there's no going back. Its affinity for complete conceptual understanding allows it to deconstruct physical machines (usually ISTP) or theoretical ideas (usually INTP) in order to better understand how they work. (Te would more likely be involved in re-constructing those ideas into something that works in real life.)

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    (Fe typically gets hurt by others' behavior or words, Fi typically gets hurt by the cruelty of the world it lives in.)
    These can easily be construed as the same thing. It's more accurate to say that:

Fi types focus on what is or isn't congruent with their values, and is individualistic and self-centered. It stands opposed to Te, which asks for you to take responsibility of the outer world regardless of how it might make you feel.

Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted, and concerns itself with how we define the emotional roles we play out with each other. It stands opposed to Ti, which prompts the user to essentially ignore how other people feel and understand things within a framework of total emotional detachment.
    Hello

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    These can easily be construed as the same thing. It's more accurate to say that:

Fi types focus on what is or isn't congruent with their values, and is individualistic and self-centered. It stands opposed to Te, which asks for you to take responsibility of the outer world regardless of how it might make you feel.

Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted, and concerns itself with how we define the emotional roles we play out with each other. It stands opposed to Ti, which prompts the user to essentially ignore how other people feel and understand things within a framework of total emotional detachment.
    +1, this is much better...my wording was a bit lacking in definition.

I would like to add though, that while Fe/Ti and Fi/Te are opposing functions most of the time, they can support each other if they are in the secondary/tertiary position (if the person has developed their tertiary to a level capable of positive contribution to the psyche). This is true (at least with the aforementioned functions) for a well balanced ISFJ, ENTP, ESFP, and INTJ.

(which are ironically the EXACT types of the members of my band).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

AI disagree with those that say that ethics and humanity trains of thought are signs of F. F/T changes what aspects of an issue you may look at, not what issues you will actually deal with. The thought processes you used to come to your conclusions will probably shed more light on the F/T issue.

From your first two paragraphs I'd say F. Your overall post seems Ne to me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    ^ I am beginning to agree with what Trepidation said, in that it doesn't have a whole lot to do with functions, at least in terms of being able to point at the writing and say, definitively, this is 100% Ne, or this is totally NFP; many of us have these thoughts to varying degrees.

The reason I cannot agree with you that the writing really demonstrates/points to Ne and NFP is because I could post large tracts of similar thoughts, and I'm NiFeTi and NFJ. So I'm not saying she's not NFP (as obviously she self-identifies as such, and NFP's in this thread have also come in and self-identified with her writing), but I am saying her thoughts and writing are not exclusive to NFP, Ne, or Fi.
    yep, agree. I was just adding another vote for the NFP side.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Not everything can be traced to functions. In fact, very little outside MBTI can be. Your thoughts and ideas are formed by your own unique experiences.

Though I am curious, where do people see Fe in that post?

Also, I agree with most of your points to an extent.
    And I virtually lack Fe and Ti.

Senior Member Array BlahBlahNounBlah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Fe types focus on what is or isn't socially-accepted
    Which makes me wonder why xxFJs are drawn to me so frequently. Do they like being around someone who isn't going to judge them? I don't have a clue.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Senior Member Array Space_Oddity's Avatar
    MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    I would like to add though, that while Fe/Ti and Fi/Te are opposing functions most of the time, they can support each other if they are in the secondary/tertiary position (if the person has developed their tertiary to a level capable of positive contribution to the psyche). This is true (at least with the aforementioned functions) for a well balanced ISFJ, ENTP, ESFP, and INTJ.
    Hmm... I don't know what the 'official theory' says, but I'd like to say that Fi/Te, Fe/Ti don't seem to me like 'opposing functions' at all. I think that in a balanced personality, they should complement and support each other, and to do so in every position. An INFP without any Te would be a hopeless dreamer without any touch with reality (if they didn't somewhat balance it by developing a strong Ti), and an INTP without any Fe might appear somewhat sociopathic. The same goes for example for ESTJs and ESFJs (their Fi and Ti should ideally be an integral part of their personality), etc. I believe that the goal of any personality is developing all the functions equally and become a wholesome, balanced individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    Hmm... I don't know what the 'official theory' says, but I'd like to say that Fi/Te, Fe/Ti don't seem to me like 'opposing functions' at all. I think that in a balanced personality, they should complement and support each other, and to do so in every position. An INFP without any Te would be a hopeless dreamer without any touch with reality (if they didn't somewhat balance it by developing a strong Ti), and an INTP without any Fe might appear somewhat sociopathic. The same goes for example for ESTJs and ESFJs (their Fi and Ti should ideally be an integral part of their personality), etc. I believe that the goal of any personality is developing all the functions equally and become a wholesome, balanced individual.
    They're opposing in the sense that they process and relate to things in completely opposite ways, not that they're incompatible.
    Hello