User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    wittgenstein is an infj as they come.
    And where were you earlier?

Are Joseph Conrad (Nostromo) and Frank Herbert (Dune) Ni?

Sniffles

Conrad is considered INFJ often.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Frank Herbert is Ni too. (ENTJ)
    4w5 sp

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Cormac McCarthy
    Milan Kundera

Read them. they are both great.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Wow, nebbykoo, I was just about to suggest both Cormac McCarthy and Milan Kundera!

I wish I could find my copy of Kundera's Slowness, which is so Ni it hurts, but the only novel I have on hand is The Farewell Party. I'm tempted to quote an entire chapter, but:

No one could blame Ruzena for being in a bad mood. But why was she so irritated by Olga's refusal to let herself be filmed? Why did she identify herself so totally with the mob of fat women who had welcomed the men's arrival with joyful squeals?

And, by the way, why were those fat women squealing so joyfully? Was it because they wanted to display their beauty to the young men and seduce them?

Surely not. Their conspicuous shamelessness arose precisely from the certainty that they had no seductive beauty at their disposal. They were filled with rancor against youthful women, and hoped by exhibiting their sexually useless bodies to malign and mock female nakedness. They wished to take revenge on and torpedo with the repulsiveness of their bodies the glory of female beauty, for they knew that bodies, whether beautiful or ugly, are ultimately all the same and that the ugly overshadow the beautiful as they whisper to men's ears. Look, this is the truth of the body that bewitches you! Look, this big flabby tit is the same thing as the breast you so madly adore.

The joyful shamelessness of the fat women in the pool was a necrophiliac ring dance around the transience of youth, a ring dance made all the more joyful by the presence in the pool of a young woman to serve as sacrificial victim. When Olga wrapped herself in the sheet they interpreted the gesture as sabotage of their cruel rite, and thus they were furious.

But Ruzena was neither fat nor old, she was actually prettier than Olga! Why then did she show no solidarity with her? ....
    -Milan Kundera
    And this is a passage from McCarthy's novel The Road, which is one of my favorite books.
    He lay listening to the water drip in the woods. Bedrock, this. The cold and the silence. The ashes of the late world carried on the bleak and temporal winds to and fro in the void. Carried forth and scattered and carried forth again. Everything uncoupled from its shoring. Unsupported in the ashen air. Sustained by a breath, trembling and brief. If only my heart were stone.
    -Cormac McCarthy
    And for a less bleak example of Ni in literature, a passage from Jane Austen's deliciously witty first chapter of Northhanger Abbey.
    It is now expedient to give some description of Mrs. Allen that the reader may be able to judge in what manner her actions will hereafter tend to promote the general distress of the work, and how she will probably contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable--whether by her imprudence, vulgarity, or jealousy--whether by intercepting her letters, ruining her character, or turning her out of doors.
    -Jane Austen
    One of the things I found when trying to find succinct examples of introverted intuition in writing is that it's something that's very difficult to distill or quote out of context. A lot of it involves connections with other things that have occurred or been referenced in the novel.

In my opinion, the best expression of Ni from characters in literature comes from James Joyce's Ulysses. Here are Leopold Bloom's thoughts (after the dialogue) during a funeral of one of his friends:

Mr. Kernan said with solemnity:
    -I am the resurrection and the life. That touches a man's inmost heart.
    -It does, Mr Bloom said.
    Your heart perhaps but what price the fellow in the six feet by two with his toes to the daisies? No touching that. Seat of the affections. Broken heart. A pump after all, pumping thousands of gallons of blood every day. One fine day it gets bunged up: and there you are. Lots of them lying around here: lungs, hearts, livers. Old rusty pumps: damn the thing else. The resurrection and the life. Once you are dead you are dead. That last day idea. Knocking them all up out of their graves. Come forth, Lazarus! And he came fifth and lost the job. Get up! Last day! Then every fellow mousing around for his liver and his lights and the rest of his traps. Find damn all of himself that morning. Pennyweight of powder in a skull. Twelve grammes one pennyweight. Troy measure.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I've had trouble deciding whether I see more Ni or more Ne in Jorge Luis Borges's writing. But this particular chunk seems pretty Ni to me:

A Dialogue About a Dialogue

A: Absorbed in our discussion of immortality, we had let night fall without fighting the lamp, and we couldnít see each otherís faces. With an offhandedness or gentleness more convincing then passion would have been, Macedonio Fernandezí voice said once more that the soul is immortal. He assured me that the death of the body is altogether insignificant, and that dying has to be the most unimportant thing that can happen to a man. I was playing with Macedonioís pocketknife, opening and closing it. A nearby accordion was infinitely dispatching La Comparsita, that dismaying trifle that so many people like because itís been misrepresented to them as being old. . . I suggested to Macedonio that we kill ourselves, so that we might have our discussion without all that racket.
    Z: (mockingly) But I suspect that at the last moment you reconsidered.
    A: (now deep in mysticism) Quite frankly, I donít remember whether we committed suicide that night or not.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I've had trouble deciding whether I see more Ni or more Ne in Jorge Luis Borges's writing. But this particular chunk seems pretty Ni to me:

A Dialogue About a Dialogue

A: Absorbed in our discussion of immortality, we had let night fall without fighting the lamp, and we couldnít see each otherís faces. With an offhandedness or gentleness more convincing then passion would have been, Macedonio Fernandezí voice said once more that the soul is immortal. He assured me that the death of the body is altogether insignificant, and that dying has to be the most unimportant thing that can happen to a man. I was playing with Macedonioís pocketknife, opening and closing it. A nearby accordion was infinitely dispatching La Comparsita, that dismaying trifle that so many people like because itís been misrepresented to them as being old. . . I suggested to Macedonio that we kill ourselves, so that we might have our discussion without all that racket.
    Z: (mockingly) But I suspect that at the last moment you reconsidered.
    A: (now deep in mysticism) Quite frankly, I donít remember whether we committed suicide that night or not.
    with borges you have Ne dom whitman translated into spanish, concentrated into Ni, then transmitted to garcia marquez (Ne?). i have theory that magical realism started with whitman's verb tenses. true story. then enter pablo neruda (also enfp like whitman).

also if you look at borges favorite writers, apart from whitman, they're all probable infjs. the catholic infjs on the writer list, etc.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I posted this in the Ne thread as well

I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with the webcomic nedroid (Nedroid Picture Diary), the humor appeals so much to me that it's crazy, and i wondered if it was Ni or Ne (i think it's Ni)

check these links out and tell me what you think

Like you don't know why - Nedroid Picture Diary
    new tricks - Nedroid Picture Diary
    dating faux pas - Nedroid Picture Diary
    how to entertain beartato - Nedroid Picture Diary