7 12.28%
  • Ne is more pessimistic

0 0%
  • They are equal

6 10.53%
  • This poll is trash

23 40.35%
123 Last

Default Ni versus Ne: is one more optimistic / pessimistic?

I am also tempted to associate optimism with idealism and pessimism with realism, so feel free to drag those associations with you when you vote.

Also: courtesy of one of kalach's posts which I am now unable to find, I am tempted to start thinking of Ni as the borg

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    I am also tempted to associate optimism with idealism and pessimism with realism, so feel free to drag those associations with you when you vote.

Also: courtesy of one of kalach's posts which I am now unable to find, I am tempted to start thinking of Ni as the borg
    lol re the borg.

I don't know that it's easy to contrast Ni/Ne in this sense, as Ne is externally 'seen'/noted, whereas you can't really see Ni in action. You just see the results of what Ni has concluded, or the Ni-user is unable to communicate his ideas well given the nature of the Ni, so the Ni-user appears to be cryptic.

To me, Ne seems optimistic, but I think it is solely due to it being extroverted in nature - i.e. brainstorming, rattling one idea after the next. There's movement there, and movement/fluidity can be tied to optimism. So it's not that Ne is necessarily optimistic, it's the extroverted nature of it that makes it appear to be moreso. Ni, since you can't see it....I mean, I don't know if I'd label it optimistic or pessimistic. Depends on the subject matter I suppose.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes MDP2525, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think there's much of a correlation.

I know my own use of Ni can result in fairly bleak, pessimistic outlooks on things, but it can also be quite uplifting and positive.

I'm not as familiar with Ne, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it wielded both optimistically and pessimistically by friends who prefer it.

I think that in both cases, it depends on one's mood, disposition, and the subject-matter to which it is being applied. An NFP who's facing some stressful future event might use Ne to come up with ways in which it could go wrong, but when the same NFP is dealing with something they find interesting, or something they're enthusiastic about, Ne is used to generate positive possibilities.
    Last edited by Two Point Two; 11-17-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Typos. 'fairy cleak' for 'fairly bleak'. Ha.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ni in INFPs and ENTJs is optimistic.

Ni in INTPs and ENFJs is pessimistic.

(I'm using socionics functional representation here)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    I don't think there's much of a correlation.

I know my own use of Ni can result in fairy cleak, pessimistic outlooks on things, but it can also be quite uplifting and positive.

I'm not as familiar with Ne, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it wielded both optimistically and pessimistically by friends who prefer it.

I think that in both cases, it depends on one's mood, disposition, and the subject-matter to which it is being applied. An NFP who's facing some stressful future event might use Ne to come up with ways in which it could go wrong, but when the same NFP is dealing with something they find interesting, or something they're enthusiastic about, Ne is used to generate positive possibilities.
    My thoughts exactly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    That may just be because you are a pessimistic person. I associate pessimism more with skepticism and optimism more with realism.

As far as Ni vs. Ne though, I'd say that while Ni may not be particularly pessimistic, Ne is definitely very very optimistic. It just generates loads of ideas and is positively inspired by them. It sees possibilities galore, and it takes setbacks as challenges to be conquered and overcome rather than permanent roadblocks.

I'd say that Ni is more grounded and in tune with reality than Ne but in a very profound way. I don't think grounded/realistic equate to pessimistic though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I see both the best and the worst of everything at all times. And I'm a total optimist. It just makes sense. Horrible things beyond our control are going to happen anyway, so I try to increase the goodness ratio.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i think Ni gets bogged down easier, and Ne as an extroverted function is much more adept at adjusting external circumstances and envisioning MATERIAL solutions to potential problems. Ni foresees but has to use an effective judgment function to adequately see why it foresees what it does. to create structure. Fe is not exactly good at this.

intj gets pretty fucking tired of this feeling too, and i think even more so than anything else, it's just that it takes a lot of fucking energy to understand Ni and to turn it into something usable. it's so close-up that it has difficulty seeing how its inner workings relate to the external world in new ways/(that involve starting from scratch). whereas Ne always seems to be from scratch, totally NOW, vs the huge fucking immense bundle of perceptions that Ni carries around with it FOREVER.

intjs is more hierarchically organized so ready to get to work on a problem, its data and its relationships are more practically organized. but infjs is more hazy, fluid, fuzzy, floating/drifting. infj perceptions are so loosely and dreamily associated, indefinite, implicit, foggy and holistic. it takes a lot of context for us to pull the reigns tight and see something clearly, to focus the lens properly so that we see all related parts in perfect resolution. but it's very revealing when it does, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad, depending on how the actual situation fits with our often un-described and indeterminate desires.

Ni is drifting away from the world into an internal metaphysical system. we are trying to grasp relationships and connections based on our own imagination space, our ability to recognize and build/model that breaches the edges of our linguistic tools to make sense. it is our revision or our edition of ourselves. we are so focused as a result on a wider range of information from the past, and sometimes see far less information in the present. this makes us worry, and feel out of touch, and feel threatened by drastic changes that are new to us. bc we feel we need a greater mass of information before we are qualified to move forward (especially inj 5s).

MBTI
    xxxx

I'd say that optimism/pessimism as it relates to a function come from how the function is used, not the function in and of itself.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think Ne is more optimistic. That's how I see it. Maybe it's just sillier.