6 10.53%
  • This poll is trash

23 40.35%
First 234

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

+1 for SW's last comment.

Pointless to attribute optimism and pessimism to cognitive functions. They're processes, not attitudes.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Believing one can make a positive future happen starts with the vision of the future, yes? Te feels entirely subordinate in this regard. Ni says make it happen; Te complies. It is only recently that I've even begun allowing Te to reply with all due respect, are you taking into account (potential pitfall x)?
    This might just be a subtle distinction I'm making. From personal experience I rarely imagine (N) possible pitfalls. Rather if I think of a potential pitfall it is because I carefully reasoned (T) through the possible outcomes. My Ne almost always imagines something positive. I rely on Ti for considering if something negative might happen.

This is why I'm saying the functions are optimistic or pessimistic rather than the people using them. Ne is oriented toward imagining positive outcomes making it optimistic. Ni on the other hand tends to imagine negative scenarios, so that it can make plans to avoid them. It imagines negative things making it pessimistic.

So an INTJ can optimistically work toward a goal (Te), but in doing so she will be sure to avoid all of the possible pitfalls she imagines along the way (Ni).

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Your conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons that you state. Ni people tend to be more pessimistic than Ne people because the Western culture is less accommodating to them than it is for Ne people. I don't think that there is anything inherent within the concept of Ni or introversion in general that predisposes a person to be negative other than this: since an Introvert is much more comfortable with contemplation than action, action seems to him something that goes against his very nature. Hence, he may have a mildly negative attitude towards action because of his nature.
    I've largely responded to your post by answering Economica, but let me add this. A person who acts does so because they believe their action will yield a positive result. When a person does not act it is because the person does not believe acting will yield a positive result. Therefore the person who acts is being optimistic, while the person who does not act is being pessimistic.

Furthermore action requires using an outwardly oriented function, i.e. an extraverted function. Therefore extraverted functions are inherently optimistic.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Ne has come off as more optimistic ime
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Ne is crazier (outside).
    I want my cake and I wanna eat it too

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    lol re the borg.

I don't know that it's easy to contrast Ni/Ne in this sense, as Ne is externally 'seen'/noted, whereas you can't really see Ni in action. You just see the results of what Ni has concluded, or the Ni-user is unable to communicate his ideas well given the nature of the Ni, so the Ni-user appears to be cryptic.

To me, Ne seems optimistic, but I think it is solely due to it being extroverted in nature - i.e. brainstorming, rattling one idea after the next. There's movement there, and movement/fluidity can be tied to optimism. So it's not that Ne is necessarily optimistic, it's the extroverted nature of it that makes it appear to be moreso. Ni, since you can't see it....I mean, I don't know if I'd label it optimistic or pessimistic. Depends on the subject matter I suppose.
    Exactly. I don't think of Ni as either optimistic nor pessimistic. In fact, I think of it as really neutral. That may be because of how it is in my stacking but it is dispassionate to me.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Wtf neither.

They're cognitive functions for God's sakes.

People anthropomorphosizing things.

If you all want the stereotypical answers:
    Ni: pessimistic "woe unto you that you haven't followed my awesome and comprehensive advice"
    Ne: optimistic "I would bu--SQUIRREL!"

Stereotypical Ne simply doesn't have time or the focus for negativity.
    Likes ZNP-TBA, Masokissed, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Exactly. I don't think of Ni as either optimistic nor pessimistic. In fact, I think of it as really neutral. That may be because of how it is in my stacking but it is dispassionate to me.
    I can see Ne as both...watch an Ne dom and they will swing both negative and positive with it. I blame it on inferior Si and build up of history with said thing on whether it swings good or bad.

For example...i did something an ENFP friend didnt agree with. She went up and down negative about her husband, then i said it was me and she did a flip to positive. Its funny because it doesnt even phase her, that flip. Both are right..according to her.

I am with you...Ni just is, but i am sure it can be either or. Looking at Ni i can easily see it as positive and negative path based on experience. For example watching my dad watch tv...lol, i know...is hilarious because you can see in his face where Ni went in regard to negative or positive. He is a very facially animated TV watcher.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Ne is neutral. My Ne wants to see all perspectives, optimistic , pessimistic, whatever else. If I see all optimism my mind naturally wonders " is there any pessimism here?" Show me one side of a coin and I'm already thinking about what the other side looks like.

Ni is just cray cray.
    Likes Masokissed, Punderstorm, Dreamer liked this post

The only reason why this stereotype lives is becaase many strong Ne users have very short attention span and therefore they don't think about problems until they get closer. On the other hand as Ni is stronger and stronger from person to person it allows them to see further and further into the future with clarity. What allows them to see more and more problems as they are comming towards us, what often makes them look pessimistic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    I am also tempted to associate optimism with idealism and pessimism with realism, so feel free to drag those associations with you when you vote.

Also: courtesy of one of kalach's posts which I am now unable to find, I am tempted to start thinking of Ni as the borg
    Lol... optimism with idealism and pessimism with realism. Lol.... oh my. I wonder when the world will be out of this trance.