User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Alternatives to Kiersey's classifications

This post is for anyone who dislikes Kiersey's way of classifying the four temperaments (NF idealist, NT rational, SP artist, SJ guardian). From talking to simulatedworld and by my own experience, I have come up with alternative temperament groupings (that quite possibly have been proposed before). If this is redundant at all or has been previously tried please point it out, but be nice - I'm a beginner

Instead of grouping via the iNtuitive function dichotomies (NF and NT) and via the Sensing J/P preferences (SJ and SP), I propose a different four groups:

IxxP - The Idealist
    IxxJ - The Learner
    ExxP - The Explorer
    ExxJ - The Leader

Now, these are slightly vague as hell, but let me attempt to clarify what I mean with the groupings (if you weren't quick enough to notice - it's pretty obvious).

The IxxP, by virtue of its functions, will use some form of Ji (introverted judging) as a dominant (leading) functional role. This could be Ti or Fi.

The IxxJ, by virtue of its functions will use some form of Pi (introverted perception) as a leading role, either Si or Ni.

The ExxP will use some form of Pe (extroverted perception) as its leading role, either Ne or Se.

The ExxJ will use some form of Je (extroverted judging) as its lead role, either Te or Fe.

So what these boil down to is the attitude and function one prefers in the lead. I believe knowing the lead role is very telling of one's type and is a better classification than what we use on the forum and what Kiersey proposed. Kiersey's temperaments aren't even consistent with themselves, so we have:

NF (idealist) - indicates only that they use some form of intuition and feeling. The issue is that Ne and Ni are very different, as are Fe and Fi.
    NT (rational) - again, indicates only that they use some form of intuition and thinking, but says nothing of the preferred attitude or more importantly, which role they use in the outside world. Ti is VERY different than Te, as Ni is VERY different than Ne.
    SJ (guardian) - The only thing this indicates is that the person uses extroverted judging and introverted perceiving, but says nothing of which role leads and which one supports.
    SP (artist) - This is the most laughable, mostly because of the "artist" title. Again, extroverted perception and introverted judging says little about one's type unless we know which one leads and which one supports.

I will admit that the last two (SP and SJ) are somewhat more reasonable than the first two because they at least specify the most telling feature that Myers and Briggs graced us with: Judging vs. Perceiving (which one is extroverted). However, the NT and NF at the very least need to be reconsidered. Perhaps NJ and NP would be more indicative.

At any rate, I think the Pi/Pe/Ji/Je classification system is superior to any of these, as it correctly identifies what attitude of judging or perception an individual prefers in their lead role (the lead role being the most telling trait of one's functional analysis).

So here's the fun part where you tell me:
    1. incubustribute, thanks! This has helped me a lot!
    2. incubustribute, you're an idiot! This has been done 7830458276383 times already!
    3. incubustribute, I disagree! And I have a better alternative...
    4. incubustribute, I love you! Have my babies!

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
    The combination of your answer with your username is slightly worrisome

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Kiersey rhymes with Heresy, coincidence? I think not!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Kiersey rhymes with Heresy, coincidence? I think not!
    I know! How dare I challenge the MBTI status quo!! *searches for MBTI Bible* hmmmm... nmh.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    The combination of your answer with your username is slightly worrisome
    HAHAHAHA, you want it.

but seriously, i think your classifications make a lot more sense. I've really learned to not be so idealistic. lol

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
    HAHAHAHA, you want it.

but seriously, i think your classifications make a lot more sense. I've really learned to not be so idealistic. lol
    The problem I have with the idea that NF's are the idealists is that idealism is rooted in the idea that you have beliefs (whether based on logic or morals (perhaps ethics)) that do not change and are not affected by outside empirical data or external verification (like someone approves it). This is the very definition of introverted judgment (Ji). Ti claims what simulated calls "logic in a vacuum," while Fi claims "ethics/morals in a vacuum." Now this may be getting into type bias, but judgments in a vacuum are exactly what idealism is all about. NF does not necessarily exhibit these features at all.

Glad you like it though

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Keirsey's temperaments make sense because they are based on observable behavior, while yours just looks like a bunch of assumptive gibberish.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

As long as i can be the leader who explores .. Then sure i'll have your babies .. You'll just be holding them when i need to jump on another plane
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Keirsey's temperaments make sense because they are based on observable behavior, while yours just looks like a bunch of assumptive gibberish.
    Too much theory, eh? That's cool! I dig it...thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    As long as i can be the leader who explores .. Then sure i'll have your babies .. You'll just be holding them when i need to jump on another plane
    saslou, let's just hire a sitter. Si tells me it's safer than taking your children skydiving